Australian nursing and miwifery council

Guest ladybird

Guest ladybird

calling all nurses and midwives!! I note from the skills assessment that you are required to provide a transcript - what is this and how do you get it??

I apologise if this is a dumb question but you never know if you don't ask!

Hi I am a Midwife and I have just received confirmation from ANMC that the "letter of determination" (what you get when they OK your skills) is on the way.

You obtain the transcript from the University tou undertook your Diploma or Degree. It is confirmation of how many hours your training involved theory and how many hours practice was covered. It has to have official stamp on it. It cost me £35.00 but came from Plymouth University with 2 weeks. The ANMC skills assessment took 8 weeks to come back.

Guest ladybird

Hi,

Thank you for that it was most helpful. Have you had any contact with hospitals in adelaide? I'm hoping to see a couple when we visit in feb but it'd be nice to have some recommendations!!

Thanks again

No I have not had any contact with hospitals as yet but now I have my ANMC letter (it came today) I will send off to South Australian Nurses Board to become registered with them and then send CV's to hospitals. I am just about to commence integrated Midwifery which is really good so would like to work in and out if it is possible in SA. Lucky you being able to visit first. We are just going for it. Have never been to Australia biut I know I will love it. Just got to convince the kids aged 13 and 9 who are less than keen.

Where are you working at the moment in the hospital or out in community?

Guest ladybird

Hiya,

We're going out first as we have friends in perth and visited them as part of our honeymoon in 2005 and weren't that keen! So for us we need to visit and make sure it is the right place.

I've been in touch with some hospitals but only 2 have replied so far, 1 private and 1 public. Both have invited me to visit but who knows what i'll think!! At the moment i work in hospital but would much prefer to be out or do a bit of both - from what i can gather some of the hospitals do community and others don't or at least not the same as us!

We'll be back early march so i'll let you know what i thought!

• 10 months later...

Hi

I am brand new to site today, we are selling our house after xmas and hoping to be in Adelaide next year sometime. Married, 3 kids aged 14, 11 and 7. Went to Adelaide Womens and Childrens Hospital as an observer in 2005 while training, really loved the lifestyle and climate. I would like to secure a job before leaving UK, looking for any help, advice, friends and a job!!! If anyone can help and give me any e-mail addresses for potential employers that would be great. We are looking for information on areas to live in and any to avoid. Our kids are interested in move to Adelaide but unsure of leaving behind family. Please mail us anything that you think could help me/us. Hope to see you all in 2008.

Hi all, right to get a transcript of your training you have to ocontact the university where you trained. Since I trained 10 years ago my college merged with the university so I couldn't get a transcript from them, I contacted the NMC and they had one. Beware the NMC are really slow so do everythingi n advance. Also when you are told that you have to have transcript sent straight her this is fine but also request a copy sent to you as you will need a copy for your visa application.

With regard to jobs, I just emailed my CV to the women and childrens hospital and flinders medical centre and both are interested. I am childrens trained. I am more interested at working at flinders as that will be nearer to where we want to live. They have told me to contact them when I have my visa and they will sort me out a job. I am going for a PR 175 visa although both did offer sponsership.

I registered with NBSA first and then did my skill assessment (modified one) and it only took about 3 weeks to come back (see my time line below)

Hope that helps and good to see more nurses going to Adelaide. Anyone that knows anything about Flinders would be great

:wubclub:

Thankyou for writing all your experiences and application processes so clearly. We have been searching the site and reading them all weekend. We went from confused and stunned to knowing what we want to do, how to apply and that we should start our application now.

TRACEY your clearly displayed application process has made starting the application so much easier. Did you use an agent? We were thinking of completing our application ourselves, is there any benefit in having an agent?

See you all in 2008, enjoy your New Year Celebrations.

Mary, Tony and Gang.

:wubclub:

TRACEY your clearly displayed application process has made starting the application so much easier. Did you use an agent? We were thinking of completing our application ourselves, is there any benefit in having an agent?

hiya. No we didn't use an agent, thought it looked straight forward enough. Haven't got the visa yet so hopefully did it right!!

Good luck with everything and keep us informed.

Guest macu68

Hi Tracey

Just a quick mail to let you know that i have mailed Adelaide Women and Childrens Hospital (WCH) my CV and they are interested and will help/support our visa application. I am about to start my nbsa application. Do you have to do nbsa and anmc in any particular order? Can you do them both together? I have been on to both sites but it isn't really very clear to me what to do first or whether or not it matters. The reply I had from HR in WCH which asked me had i registered with nbsa and anmc and that i should start apply to both. Hope all is well with you and your family, hope you all had a great xmas and new year. When do you go? Are you all ready to go?

Hope to see you all over there in 2008.

Mary, Tony and Gang.

Guest Trakki

I registered with the NBSA first and then did the modified skill assessment withe the ANMC as it works out cheaper and easier. You can do it either way, I just felt that the modified skill assessment was more straigh forward than the full one.

We had a great christmas. We still need to finish bits on the house then put it on the market, also need to sell the car, it is only 2 years old a zafira so having trouble selling it. We want to go as soon as possible when we get the visa.

Good luck with everything and if you want any more help just pm me and I'll be more than happy to help.

Guest macu68

We also have a zafira that Tony has tried to sell for its value but no luck so far, ours is also almost 2 yrs old and we have accepted that we will lose some money on it. Our house will be going up for sale in the next week or so and hopefully we will sell it quickly. We don't mind renting for a bit or if its only a few weeks we can stay with family if we need to. I am printing off the nbsa today and getting that underway, the anmc will need a bit more work and time so will start that now but it needs to go to work etc. Who did you use for your document verification? Was it expensive? What is a notary public? Could a senior midwife/nurse/police officer sign it for you?

Thanks again

Guest Trakki
We also have a zafira that Tony has tried to sell for its value but no luck so far, ours is also almost 2 yrs old and we have accepted that we will lose some money on it. Our house will be going up for sale in the next week or so and hopefully we will sell it quickly. We don't mind renting for a bit or if its only a few weeks we can stay with family if we need to. I am printing off the nbsa today and getting that underway, the anmc will need a bit more work and time so will start that now but it needs to go to work etc. Who did you use for your document verification? Was it expensive? What is a notary public? Could a senior midwife/nurse/police officer sign it for you?

Thanks again

I used a JP (justice of the peace) at my local magistrates court. They are supposed to be free but I know some people have had to pay. Don't use a notary public as they are something to do with solicitors but are more expensive than your bog standard solicitor. For the NBSA and ANMC you can't use nursing staff. Enquire about your local JP, I just phoned the magistrates court. If you are going to register with NBSA first make sure you fill in the modified skill assessment and not the full one. Once you are registered it does not take long to get skill assessed. If you do the full skill assessment it takes alot longer. We are also willing to rent if needs be. Just hope it doesn't take too long to sell!!!:wacko:

HTH

Its anmc first and than the area you want to work. Both will send your a letter stating thank you for your application your application will be processed in ................weeks.

Also if you ask the anmc to forward your papers on the nbsa and than your only pay ??20 aus dollars

Lynne

Guest Trakki
Its anmc first and than the area you want to work. Both will send your a letter stating thank you for your application your application will be processed in ................weeks.

Also if you ask the anmc to forward your papers on the nbsa and than your only pay ??20 aus dollars

Lynne

YOu can do it one of three ways, each is personal choice. You can do the full ANMC assessment and then apply for your NBSA registration. You can do them both at the same time (full assessment) or you can register first and then do modified skill assessment. You need to make sure you request forms etc to be sent from here there and everywhere but once you have started it, you get guided as to what they want ans the forms have all the information on. NBSA will also forward your papers to the ANMC. SO reall y there is no right or wrong way, as I said it is personnal chioce.

HTH

Guest Trakki
On british expats the is a whole section for nursing and loads of people with expirience.

Also on www.adelaidebrits.com.au under user name "Andy" there is a link to the nursing downunder forum.

Lots of useful info there too

sarah

Thanks Sarah, the british expats nursing area is really helpful as is nursing downunder but I find the nursing downunder quite quiet and slow, I don't think many people know about it. THanks for the link, all are useful.

Hope you had a great christmas and new year

Guest macu68

Hi again

Thanks for all the replies/answers and information, all extremely useful. It seems that there is no right or wrong way but it is all down to how you want to do it. I have decided to start with the NBSA as that form has been re-jigged from the last time that we were thinking of applying and doesn't seem as scary as i remember it. Will get to grips with the ANMC later this week, I have been off work for a while and am not back until 14th January, the ANMC form seems a bit more demanding. I have spoken to Uni for my transcript and need to ring back on Tuesday, just want to get the ball rolling now.

Tracey, what area are you heading for in Adelaide? We are not sure, we were thinking of using the service offered by SA and staying in the temporary accommodation for a few weeks. Not sure how long it will take us to decide where we want to live but think we may rent for a while before buying. Have you arranged any accommodation? Let us know what it is like as you will be there a while before we get there.

Lynne, hope you can make it on 27th, will be great to meet up with some others and pick all your brains.

Sarah, thanks for the link, not linked to it yet but will do in a bit.

Thanks everyone xxx

Guest Trakki
Hi again

Tracey, what area are you heading for in Adelaide? We are not sure, we were thinking of using the service offered by SA and staying in the temporary accommodation for a few weeks. Not sure how long it will take us to decide where we want to live but think we may rent for a while before buying. Have you arranged any accommodation? Let us know what it is like as you will be there a while before we get there.

We are hoping to go south of the city, around the Hallett Cove area, won't know for sure until we get there, we have to take into account schools as we have 4 children. We haven't decided what to do about accomodation yet, we keep changing our minds. We will get a short term rental maybe the OAA and then either find a long term rental or buy. Again it all depends on when we get there.

Any more help just pm me it's no trouble.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Thanks Sarah, the british expats nursing area is really helpful as is nursing downunder but I find the nursing downunder quite quiet and slow, I don't think many people know about it. THanks for the link, all are useful.

Hope you had a great christmas and new year

We ahd an excellent christmas in the pool, boxing day on the beach and new years in sydney.

I have never used the nursing website but have seen it on the bottom of andy signature and thought it might be useful. I have a friend here that helps out nurses on BE and shee says it is full of useful stuff.

sarah