Inground Pool Info

Guest Bluenose

Guest Bluenose

Hi guys

Yet another punter (ie me and the OH) looking at an inground pool. Had a search on the website and got some useful information about the good, the bad & the ugly. We've also found that there is a company (Freeform Pools) who will make fibre glass pools from your own design but I haven't managed to find anyone who has used them.

I think we'll be sticking to fibre glass as it suits our budget + I think it'll be easier to maintain.

Now....I'm a complete an utter noob when it comes to pools.....It would be HUGELY appreciated if anyone can give me any advise on what I should be asking at these places .....and I mean any advise....no hint or tip no matter how small will seem stupid....ie pumps to consider, salt or chlorinated etc etc....Is there anything you wished you had done/upgraded since you've put in your pool that you didn't think of at the time?

I'm sure these companies can smell ppl like me as soon as I walk in the door......like lambs to the slaughter (over dramatisation there ;) )

Cheers

J

Guest motlyman
Hi guys

Yet another punter (ie me and the OH) looking at an inground pool. Had a search on the website and got some useful information about the good, the bad & the ugly. We've also found that there is a company (Freeform Pools) who will make fibre glass pools from your own design but I haven't managed to find anyone who has used them.

I think we'll be sticking to fibre glass as it suits our budget + I think it'll be easier to maintain.

Now....I'm a complete an utter noob when it comes to pools.....It would be HUGELY appreciated if anyone can give me any advise on what I should be asking at these places .....and I mean any advise....no hint or tip no matter how small will seem stupid....ie pumps to consider, salt or chlorinated etc etc....Is there anything you wished you had done/upgraded since you've put in your pool that you didn't think of at the time?

I'm sure these companies can smell ppl like me as soon as I walk in the door......like lambs to the slaughter (over dramatisation there ;) )

Cheers

J

Fibreglass is the go on pools as they are easy to maintain. I would have thought a standard design would be cheaper than your own design.

Salt water is a chlorinated pool. The salt water goes through an electrolytic cell and produces chlorine gas. A must. You would soon get fed up with mixing chlorine up every other day.

And green pool restorations aren't cheap.

Solar is a good idea although you don't need to have it straight away. Just have the pipes fitted at the time the pools fitted so it can be installed at a later date.

Pool builders normally fit what's on offer at the time regardless of quality. I see different pumps, filters, chlorinators etc fitted to the same pool all the time.

I prefer Hurlcon or Zodiac equipment. Bit dearer but better quality.

Pool covers are a must for the permit to fill the pool. I use Daisy products as they are the best. Again a bit dearer. Liquid covers are acceptable also now. About $25 or $30 a month. Or a doser for about $650 + $295 for the fluid.

I have heard good and bad with all the builders unfortunately. So i couldn't really recommend any one builder.

One trick they come up with is the "we've hit rock and need heavy duty equipment"

Have a look at the "rock" as it might just not be there!!!!!:err:

Hope this helps.

Colin

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Agree with everything Colin just said!

I have met loads of people who have had pools installed and the only comoany I have heard good things about twice is "freeform" .

Ours and others will sell you whatever you want to get the sale, we choose slt and cartridge filter, totally happy with the salt side of it but would recommend against a cartridge type filter, already had a new one and the pool is only 21/2 yrs old, go for sand filter. Also we had lights dont bother with those either, I asked for stainless steel ones which within the first year were rusty (second grade chinese steele and the said that in not so many words!)

COLIN, how do liquid blankets work??? I have had green tinges to my pool several times this year, as a result of it getting too hot. The water testing says all fine and there are not phosphates in the water, it is because i keep the cover as much as poss to save evaporation, but this in turns warms the pool up more, does the liquid blanket keep the pool warm and make it warmer in the same way???

Guest Guest75

Colin's covered everything there.

We went through this years ago, fortunately we had a friend with pool experience to help a little.

Salt water is the way to go.

The "rock business" is one to keep an eye on;)

Keeping up to you pool is the secret - just spend a few minutes here and there checking rather than leaving it for long periods.

Taking quotes in now should be good as you have time before next summer.

Get solar installed with the build but make sure there is a separate pump dedicated to just the solar.Easier to control!

Good luck!!!!

Guest motlyman

COLIN, how do liquid blankets work??? I have had green tinges to my pool several times this year, as a result of it getting too hot. The water testing says all fine and there are not phosphates in the water, it is because i keep the cover as much as poss to save evaporation, but this in turns warms the pool up more, does the liquid blanket keep the pool warm and make it warmer in the same way???

Liquid blankets do the same as the pvc ones, only difference is they don't stop debris getting in. There are 2 types. One is a liquid doser and a 4lt container of the fluid and the other is a ball which you pierce and drop in the skimmer box. The doser type comes on 10 minutes before the pump goes off.

They create an invisible film across the water surface. They are biodegradable smell and tasteless. Just use the pool as if it wasn't there.

Main reasons for pools going green are 1) low chlorine levels 2) poor filtration 3)water out of balance. All 3 caused by a number of reasons.

Chlorine doesn't like heat so it could be disappearing faster than its being produced.

Algae consumes chlorine also so, once it gets going the chlorine disappears even quicker.

Happy days

Colin