IELTS pass grade required

Guest TheHalls

Guest TheHalls

Hi everyone, my husband sat his IELTS yesterday, he is a Gas Fitter so it was the General test. he is feeling quite positive on all except the listening so fingers crossed for him, he tried very hard and studied for a few weeks beforehand. My question is, our agent told us he is required to have a grade of 7 in each section to gain the 10 points needed for our application. Anything less in any section means an entire resit. However, someone else has told me that it is a miniumum of 6 in each section required for the General trade. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks x

Guest cliveost

Hi,

I take it you mean the extra 10 points you get for having proficient English ie 25 points instead of the 15 for having a UK passport.

If so you need to score 7 in each of the 4 components of the test. 6 in each only gives you competent English which gives 15 points the same as having a UK passport.

Hope that helps.

Guest cliveost

No problem glad I could help.:v_SPIN:

We have a 2 week wait for the results too so everything crossed. My Wife sat the academic test on the 20th.

Guest TheHalls

Ah, Good luck to you both as well. I have heard that a lot of the results were back within 10 days so let me know when they come in. Have fingers crossed for us both!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thekings
Hi there. I might be taking the test soon (to boost to 25 points) and was wondering how hard it was? Any old test papers on the internet ???

I practised online when I did mine, cant remember what sites though but Google is your friend ;)

Guest TheHalls

Well, our results were due in on Saturday but no show so I am assuming because of the Holiday Weekend they have been delayed. Hopefully Tuesday will bring news x

Guest TheHalls

nfs- my husband paid for a months access to the ielts higher training online. I think it was around £30 for the month and he thought it was really good with lots of info and past papers. If he doesn't achieve the required grade and has to re-sit I am going to get him the book as lots of people said it was extremely helpful for them. Good Luck!

Guest cliveost

Hi my wife bought the official test booklet i think it was about £10.

My OH said the test was ok but found the reading part the hardest as the subject matter was not interesting so didnt sink in.:goofy:

Had our results throught and scored an average of 8.0 but my OH needs to resit the test as she needed to score 7.0 min (for nursing) in each part of the test and only scored 6.5 in the reading test :arghh:

Oh well another £110 and a months wait.

We will get there eventually

Cheers for the info guys. Just a few other things :

1) I assume that I would need the General Training test and not the Academic test.

2) Has anyone take the IELTS 7 book out of their library lately? If so what was was the actual title as I am strugling with my library to get hold of the correct book.

3) Cliveost where did you get the official test booklet from?

Cheers

Guest TheHalls

Well my husband's results came in this morning and he did really well. Listening and Writing 7.5 and reading and Speaking 8.5 Overall 8. He is very relieved to have passed first time and not have to go through it all again.

nfs, my husband is a Gas Fitter/Plumber and did the General, I assume this is the same for all the tradesmans. What is it you do?

Guest TheHalls

Clive I am sorry to hear that. To have done so well and not make it for the sake of a half point in one section must be maddening. Instead of waiting a month for the next place can she try and get a date sooner in another town? My husband booked his in Leeds and we are in Glasgow, Scotland. It was a 3 hour drive for him but he travelled down the day before and came home afterwards. The following two courses in Glasgow and Edinburgh were fully booked right enough so it would have been 3 months before he had a place.

Guest cliveost
Cheers for the info guys. Just a few other things :

1) I assume that I would need the General Training test and not the Academic test.

2) Has anyone take the IELTS 7 book out of their library lately? If so what was was the actual title as I am strugling with my library to get hold of the correct book.

3) Cliveost where did you get the official test booklet from?

Cheers

Hi

We purchased the booklet from Cambridge ESOL Publications eshop

this is the official test booklet and is £10 and you can order online.

I would double check regarding wich test to take as you dont want to do the general test only to find you should have done the academic test.

My wife is a nurse and had to do the academic test and unfortunatly didnt get the required grade on 1 part so has to resit the full test again she was half a point short.:arghh:

Guest cliveost
Clive I am sorry to hear that. To have done so well and not make it for the sake of a half point in one section must be maddening. Instead of waiting a month for the next place can she try and get a date sooner in another town? My husband booked his in Leeds and we are in Glasgow, Scotland. It was a 3 hour drive for him but he travelled down the day before and came home afterwards. The following two courses in Glasgow and Edinburgh were fully booked right enough so it would have been 3 months before he had a place.

We are gutted but OH did say that if she failed it would be the reading part she failed on. She got a 8.0 an 8.5 and a 9.0 in the other parts with a total score of 8.0. I cant believe she failed on the reading she has an A level in english and reads about 3 books a week!!!!:shocked:

We are unable to go to anywhere but Manchester due to time and work commitments so will just have to wait.

We will get there in the end:)

Guest thekings

I struggled in practise with the reading part because of boring content matter. Luckily for me on the day I had an article on Australian birds (thats where we are heading), an article on financing the NHS (I'm a nurse). an article on ancient hidden codes (I love the Da Vinci Code) and the last article was the boring one about vehicle migration in the states :SLEEP:. It is difficult to focus on a boring subject. Hang in there Joanna and good luck for next time. ;)