Guest Sarah Wright

Rental Property required urgently !!!!

Guest Sarah Wright

We arrived in Adelaide on th 19th March and have a 2 week holiday rental in Brighton (which is gorgeous but very expensive). We require a long term rental from around the beginning of April and have done nothing but drive around for the past 3 days (the kids are really fed up). We have been very surprised at the amount of people who attend open viewings and the massive competition for each property. We do not have a rental history as we have a house in the uk that is currently for sale however we are in a position to pay 6 mths rent up front if required. We were hoping for the Blackwood / surrounding areas or Hallett Cove as the kids like the schools. It appears however that we have now exhausted what is available and we are now having to look as far as Mount Barker. Does anyone have a 3 / 4 bedroom home to rent for 8mths plus preferably near to a good junior school. Our budget is $450 per week maximum. Any advise re securing a rental would also be greatly appreciated. My kids would like to spend some time on the beach !!:(

Is it an unfurnished rental you're looking for? I am surprised you are struggling so much, with a budget like that I'd have thought you would have quite a wide choice!

Guest Carolandcraig

If you like Hallet Cove, then it might be going a little further south to Port Noarlunga and surrounding areas, the school there is really good and there are a fair few rentals available at very reasonable prices, like you we were considering HC, but like PN better and got the first rental we applied for, just a thought.

dont worry about rental history.the fact you have been given a visa means you are of good character(or never been caught):policeman:.all the agents we spoke to were keen for new british migrants rather than some local bogans.

Have you tried going direct to Landlords who advertise their properties in the Advertiser?You would have no problem there i think.We got fed up with all the nonesense with going through the Letting Agent proceedure last time,and got a great no hassle deal this way.Best Luck,Sue.:)

Guest Libby1971

I am sure you have already tried this but I know it worked for us. We contacted all the estate agents in our areas, and told them what we wanted. We told them what our max to pay was and that we were prepared to pay 2-3 months in advance.

THAT got a response. Whereas before we felt a bit shell shocked (on one open we went to, the woman was still painting) now agents were wanting to talk to us. It didn't get them falling into our lap but it did mean that we had their attention. And within a week we had found somewhere.

I went through an agent because I had heard horror stories about private landlords. One firned who has recently been in this situation had a nightmare with her landlady sending her friends round to go through the post, and phoning them up when she'd had a few.

Good luck

Libby

Guest needtogonow
    We arrived in Adelaide on th 19th March and have a 2 week holiday rental in Brighton (which is gorgeous but very expensive). We require a long term rental from around the beginning of April and have done nothing but drive around for the past 3 days (the kids are really fed up). We have been very surprised at the amount of people who attend open viewings and the massive competition for each property. We do not have a rental history as we have a house in the uk that is currently for sale however we are in a position to pay 6 mths rent up front if required. We were hoping for the Blackwood / surrounding areas or Hallett Cove as the kids like the schools. It appears however that we have now exhausted what is available and we are now having to look as far as Mount Barker. Does anyone have a 3 / 4 bedroom home to rent for 8mths plus preferably near to a good junior school. Our budget is $450 per week maximum. Any advise re securing a rental would also be greatly appreciated. My kids would like to spend some time on the beach !!:(

I read this post with interest as we also are looking at renting around Hallet Cove at the beginning of May due to the good schools and beach. The Seaford area also looks like another great place to live and rentals seem reasonable and there appear to be a few vacant at the moment.

Not sure on the schools there but the feedback on here appears good.

Bex

Guest markmet

Hi Sarah

We were in the same position as you a few weeks ago, and panicing if we didnt find a rental in time as you are competing against others at the open inspections. I would highly recommend you try Mcranor who are based on Brighton road. They adevertise properties for rent on realestate.com.au and within your budget also. There are some lovely properties on there at the moment in flagstaff hill which isnt that far from Blackwood. The reason I am recommending Mcranor is that they do private viewings, so you havent got the open inspections to contend with. I know you want to be near the sea, and so did we, and to be honest we are only about 10 minutes away from the sea, and we have just taken on a 12 month lease in Flagstaff. 4 bedroom 2 bathroom property modern and clean $400 dollars per wk. Hope this is of some help to you. Let me know how you get on.

Chris.

P.S If you do try Mcranor ask for Karen. she was very nice and very helpful.