health ins. on 457 visa

Guest rodders

Guest rodders

Hi, I've just recieved word that my sponsorship application has been accepted, so will hopefully be heading down under soon. Only I've heard I need to send proof of health insurance with my 457 visa application. Please can anybody help me???:confused:

Hi Rodders.

I'm no visa expert so cannot say whether it is a requirement to have it on this type of visa.

Anyway it is certainly more expensive to take health insurance on a temporary visa than being on a permanent one but anyway try this company Private Health Insurance Australia - iSelect they should be able to advise on the best type of plan to suit you.

Andy

Guest guest3462

Have the DIAC told you this? Because we are in Adelaide on a 457 visa and we have no private health cover, nor were we asked to provide details of any. Maybe its a new thing, but we certainly didnt need it to get here in 2009.

If you do want some then mutual community or medibank are the only ones that we have found with decent (if expensive) cover for non permenant residents.

JC

We are on 457 too (for another 3 weeks or so!!). This is for people coming from countries who DO NOT have a reciprocal health care agreement with Oz. As the UK does, you will be entitled to the same Medi-Care (Oz version of NHS, but with some charges) cover as Oz citizens. So i don't think you need to worry about it. However it is worth taking out some health cover when you get here, especially if yo have kids. Minimum i would go for would be at least ambulance cover, as it costs a fortune if one is required, ambulance cover can be obtained from post offices etc for as little as $300 per year. We took out extras and ambulance cover from Medibank, $70.00 per month for the platinum, cover optical, dental and lots more.

Guest guest3462

wow Shaun, you got a good deal with your medibank then, they quoted us $160 a month for 2 adults and 2 kids just for extras!!! I might give them another ring to get a new quote and tell them what you pay if you dont mind me doing that! We have ambo cover through SA ambulance and for a family of 4 costs us $125 a year.

Hi.

I've just had the exact same problem. The rules apparently changed late last year. The Oz immigration website states that those from a country with a receiptical health scheme (ie UK) need to prove they have health cover from day 1 in Australia (prior to signing on to Medicare). They state that travel ins will suffice yet the travel ins policies and companies say it does not apply as you are not coming back! You can't pull a fast one with the travel ins as you need them to actually sign a templated letter stating you are covered. I went round in circles for ages and then found Go Walkabout Travel Insurance- Backpacker, Longstay and Emigration Travel Insurance. Speak to Adam and he'll sort the ins and sign the necessary letter. Family of 4 for a month was around £120. Its probably quite expensive but he will sort the letter for you so I guess your really paying for speed and convenience.

Also, if you have kids theres a confusing question regarding time in school. It reads as if part of your job sponsorship involves you teaching rather than your kids being in school / preschool. We received a slightly confusing answer to our question regarding this that basically confirmed it was about kids school places. We got in a panic thinking we had to find schools for our kids whilst still here in the UK so they were guarenteed a place on arrival. When we completed the 457 online forms we ignored the question and 2 days later had an e mail confirming our visas!

Hope this helps.