Guest joolz

The Ghan

Guest joolz

Hi I found an article in the paper for the Ghan train which goes from Adelaide to Darwin. It looks awesome and just wondered if any of you PIA guys have had the experience and whether it was good value?

I definitely would love to do it at some point...:D

I wanna do it weith my Mrs for our Anniversary...fly upto north then ghan it all the way back down....have seen it on TV it looks awesome it takes summat like around 4 days..nice lil train journey if you ask me....

HG

Guest Guest75

It's on our "To do list".

I have heard some great reports - but the price is astronomical!!!

A lot of retirees do it for a treat,we met loads in Darwin a couple of years ago that were doing it.

One day,,,,,,,,,,:wubclub:

It's defo expensive around $2000 if you wanna do premium class, did have it on faves but resigned myself to the fact i'll never be able to afford it.

Guest joolz

Thanks for your replies...maybe it's something to do without les enfants and in our dotage (if that's how you spell it?). Better make sure we start saving now, definitely an Anniversary type trip me thinks!!! Awww it does look a great experience though...

My parents did it many many years ago when it only went as far as Alice, so their comments are probably not relevant anymore, but they were a bit disappointed with the food, plus you sleep through a lot of the scenery. They have been on lots of trains round the world and it doesn't rank as the best (one in South Africa was). Some friends of ours did it a couple of years ago in the most expensive class and thoroughly enjoyed it! We saw their video of the trip and the cabins seemed quite small, nothing like the Orient Express in all those old movies!. My husband would love to do it but it does seem very expensive for what it is, personally I'd rather fly. Also it is definately one for your retirement years!

Guest WhatNow?

My rellies wanted to do the Ghan when they wer over in March, but it would have taken too much of their time here so they compromised and took the Indian Pacific to get from Sydney to Adelaide. They are used to holidaying in some luxury and said it was everything they could have wished for except that they had to share their dinner table with a very snooty French couple who did nothing but complain about the wine they were served! They said it was well organised, the staff were great, the food excellent (and they are foodies so it must have been ok). They had in-train entertainment (in the form of a folk duo - not to their taste and they couldn't avoid them, but they were very professional!) everything happened as it was meant to do and their luggage was well looked after and easy to deposit and pick up. In short it has given them a taste for train travel and they plan to do the Orient Express next year and the Ghan when they come back to Oz next time. They are a young retired couple (50s) so fitted in well with the majority of the other guests. They loved it.