Willber

Get closer!

Just waiting now for a competion date on the house sale (fingers crossed). :jiggy:

We are coming out in Sep to validate our visa but have decided to wait until 2012 to make the move for good due to rubbish exchange rate and our son will be old enough for school then as well.

Do you have to live in Oz for two years before you can claim rent assist, child tax credits? we are on a 176 perm visa, any input will be appreciated as this could iron a few creases. Time to start packing i think:shocked:

Cheers A@A

Guest Kelly O

Hi

We came out here a year ago next week. We also have perm res visas and were able to claim family tax benefit straight away- just popped into a centrelink office- very quick and easy. They were very friendly and efficient. We did not know about rent assist until we had been here nearly a year, found out about it on poms in Adelaide, went into Centrelink and asked and were paid that too including a back payment of about 9 months, which was a real godsend at the time.

Good luck with everything.

Just waiting now for a competion date on the house sale (fingers crossed). :jiggy:

We are coming out in Sep to validate our visa but have decided to wait until 2012 to make the move for good due to rubbish exchange rate and our son will be old enough for school then as well.

Do you have to live in Oz for two years before you can claim rent assist, child tax credits? we are on a 176 perm visa, any input will be appreciated as this could iron a few creases. Time to start packing i think:shocked:

Cheers A@A

WOW your in a very strong position if you have sold your house. You have obviously done a lot of thinking about when to come out but I all I can say is why wait?

If your on PR you can get rent assitance, child care benefit and family assistance all straight away. ALso if you have a young son it will be easier to meet mums in a similar position through playgroups and play dates, so I would not nessaricly wait unitl school age. I would want to be here a while and make sure the school is right and then not have to move toomuch but thats just personal experience.

Good luck anyway

Michelle