Desperate for a curry

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

Hi All,

I know the Balti House in Goodwwod is 'the' place for a great curry but it's a bit far from Christies Beach. I've been here 2 and a half weeks now and am suffering serious withdrawl symptoms :( I was fine until we started talking about curry at work today - cheers Ben!

Anyway, is there anywhere down south that is any good?

Cheers!

Damo

There is an excellent curry house on Goodwood Rd called the Balti House, as good as the cirrus I used to have in the UK. The owners are from Birmingham. They even have john smiths (my hubby was very impressed). I have been to the curry place at Pt noarlunga but the Balti House is certainly more like what you would have got in the UK

Guest scmercer

The British India restaurant in the city is really nice (morphett street I think) they also do take away but maybe a bit far for you to travel.

Guest guest2184

As a bit of a curry connoisseur one of the best I've ever had was in Adelaide.

Really sorry but I can't remember the name. It's in the City Centre on the Square behind Rundle Mall that has the Griffin Hotel on it.

It is downstairs from the street and it's where all the Test Cricket teams go when they're in Adelaide. When you go to the toilet the corridor to it is lined with loads of signed cricket bats from every Test Match played in Adelaide since the 80s.

Fish curry there is awesome.

Guest Guest5035
Oh! Calcutta is good in Morphett Vale - 5 mins away from you.

Oh! Calcutta Indian Restaurant - Home

I really know I'm going against the grain here but not impressed by the Balti House.

Some dishes tasted as if out of a jar, nt good value and the place is soulless.:huh:

My thoughts years ago when everybody raved about it.

Stevo

Guest Guest5035

Really sorry but I can't remember the name. It's in the City Centre on the Square behind Rundle Mall that has the Griffin Hotel on it.

It is downstairs from the street and it's where all the Test Cricket teams go when they're in Adelaide. When you go to the toilet the corridor to it is lined with loads of signed cricket bats from every Test Match played in Adelaide since the 80s.

Is it The Jasmin???? if so was voted years ago as the best Indian in Australia.................................................If so i rated it as one of the worst.

Stevo

Guest Damien

Well, just finished my ruby. We opted for the Oh! Calcutta in Morphett Vale. I went for the chicken vindaloo and Lisa the chicken masala. They weren't like UK curries, the sauce was very runny (no potato in the vindaloo), there was loads of chicken (all breast but not marinated or tikka'd) but they were surprisingly hot :jiggy:. I even had to suppress a hiccup at one point!

Anyway as curries go, with the bad reports on Ozzy ones, it was a nice surprise. The takeaway option is a lot cheaper than the dine in menu on their website, the two curries, large rice and garlic naan was $32. It was ready 30mins after I phoned and wasn't cold like some English ones can be when collected.

I would def recommend them for a good feed mate! It wasn't the same as English curry but after 3 weeks without one it was most welcome. :notworthy:

Damien

Cheers guys - think I'll try either the one in Morphett Vale or Noarlunga, will report back with the results!

Damo

I had another vindaloo from the curry house in Port Noarlunga....we had a crap one a while ago then went there agina just on the off chance a few weeks ago....which was awesome..we went back again last night and it was Heaps Good again...i know would reccommwnd this place.

HG

Guest Andrew&Ren

I second this, its called "Jasmin" and is in Hindmarsh square in the city. Its a little pricey and you need to book but it was one of the best places we have been for a curry. "Monsoon" in North Adelaide is really good too and cheap. Still yet to find one like we used to get in Manchester though!

Heard good reports about the "Harvest of India" in Noralunga and also the "Charminar" on Brighton Rd is mentioned alot but we've not been to either.