minty

Electrical Engineer With an HNC

Hi all,

Havent posted for a while as i am getting my head into working and waiting untill the new lists come out to see where it puts us (electrician on a 176). However i have come up with an idea :idea: and from my initial investigation it looks promising. I have seen that electrical engineers are on the critical list so as an electrician i would have to do a HNC to get clasified as an electrical engineer in the UK.

I contacted engineers Australia who asses engineers for the purpose of migration to see if they recognised the HNC and this is what they replied with.

For your information only, the engineering categories in Australia are (in decreasing order);

- Professional Engineers - 4 years full time Bachelor of Engineering at university, after 12 years schooling (Engineers Australia)

- Engineering Technologist - 3 years full time Bachelor of Technology at university, after 12 years schooling (Engineers Australia)

- Engineering Associates - 2 years full time Advanced Diploma at Technical College, after 12 years schooling (Engineers Australia)

A UK BTEC HNC (post 1986) is equivalent to the AQF Advanced Diploma, which corresponds to the Engineering Associate category.

A UK BTEC HNC (pre 1987) is equivalent to the AQF Bachelor of Technology, which corresponds to the Engineering Technologist category.

So from what they have replied with above it looks like yes they will recognise the HNC as an electrical engineering qualification for the purpose of migration. Now it will take me 12-18 months to complete but as a sparkie if i am not put on the critical list i could be waiting untill late 2012 anyway and it opens up more employment opertunities both here and in Aus when we finally get there.

Has anyone else done this and has anyone migrated as a electrical engineer on a HNC qualification. If so can you confirm that i have this right please.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Guest tooeasy

to go as an electrical engineer the sme as any skill you will need so much experience post qualification so you may have to do 500hrs as an electrical engineer dont know the exact ammount of experience you need to get after you have done your hnc

• Like 1

Hello minty, I know you posted this a long time ago but was just wondering if you had any luck with this ?.. it has always been my dream to get to Australia, and due to finish my HNC in January. I always thought you needed a bachelors degree minimum in electrical engineering to get recognition over there but hopefully this is not the case? 

On 02/04/2010 at 9:09 PM, minty said:

Hi all,

Havent posted for a while as i am getting my head into working and waiting untill the new lists come out to see where it puts us (electrician on a 176). However i have come up with an idea :idea: and from my initial investigation it looks promising. I have seen that electrical engineers are on the critical list so as an electrician i would have to do a HNC to get clasified as an electrical engineer in the UK.

I contacted engineers Australia who asses engineers for the purpose of migration to see if they recognised the HNC and this is what they replied with.

For your information only, the engineering categories in Australia are (in decreasing order);

- Professional Engineers - 4 years full time Bachelor of Engineering at university, after 12 years schooling (Engineers Australia)

- Engineering Technologist - 3 years full time Bachelor of Technology at university, after 12 years schooling (Engineers Australia)

- Engineering Associates - 2 years full time Advanced Diploma at Technical College, after 12 years schooling (Engineers Australia)

A UK BTEC HNC (post 1986) is equivalent to the AQF Advanced Diploma, which corresponds to the Engineering Associate category.

A UK BTEC HNC (pre 1987) is equivalent to the AQF Bachelor of Technology, which corresponds to the Engineering Technologist category.

So from what they have replied with above it looks like yes they will recognise the HNC as an electrical engineering qualification for the purpose of migration. Now it will take me 12-18 months to complete but as a sparkie if i am not put on the critical list i could be waiting untill late 2012 anyway and it opens up more employment opertunities both here and in Aus when we finally get there.

Has anyone else done this and has anyone migrated as a electrical engineer on a HNC qualification. If so can you confirm that i have this right please.

Many thanks.

Edited by Jregis95

JRegis,

I have an HND MECH ENG and managed to have my skills assessed by EA as an engineering technologist which under their guidelines requires a bachelor degree as minimum. It wasn't straightforward and I had a little toing and frowing but ultimately I did it through being a member of a professional organisation in the UK and them having a mutual recognition agreement in place with EA. The UK professional body had previously classified me as being IEng due to my experience which translates to engineering technologist in EA. I had to write a CDR for EA and initially they wanted to assess my skills as mech eng draftsperson/engineering associate. I disputed this though and it worked as they agreed to recognise the mutual agreement. I would say with an HNC in electrical engineering they would try and classify you as an engineering associate and assess your skills as either an electrical engineering technician or electrical engineering draftsperson unless, like me, you could prove otherwise to them. 

Hope this helps.

Hi. I'm in Adelaide as an electrician. You can get recognised through EA with a HNC but not sure if there on the skills list at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk