Guest gerry1959

mobiles

Guest gerry1959

Sorry for asking this daft question :err:can anyone tell me what mobile phone companies are used and the best one to use or is it the same as uk.vodafone and orange or 3 :unsure:

Guest kangomik

OPTUS tends to lead on pay as you go.

The rest are all here Vodaphone, 3 i think you can get virgin too?

House packages you could look at telstra because you get discount on the mobile bundle too......... but i have not looked into or compared this...... but someone on here will have.

Hi, we got pay as you go sims when we got here with Lebara. It's really cheap to ring the uk, only 5 cents per minute. Calls to numbers starting with 13 are really expensive though. You can top up at most petrol stations. We picked up the sims at a little phone shop at the Marion shopping centre (near Brighton if you haven't been). Give us a shout if you want more directions & hope this helps. Mel

Guest tinkham_lee

Both my partner and I are on virgin pay as you go. We get free calls and texts to other virgin mobiles and we only buy caps, $19 cap get $50 worth of credit and $35 gets $300ish credit. there are other cap amounts but I'm not sure what they are. The signal range seems to be quite good too. We often call English landlines and mobiles using the $35 or $45 cap and we can talk for hours. The only downside is they expire after a month, but if you recharge before it expires then any unused credit rolls over.

And Big W are currently giving 10% off all phone recharges.

Guest lindagarrattley

Hi

Carrying this line of thought, the mobiles and laptops from UK will just need new chargers when we arrive? L

Guest kangomik

either a plug adaptor, UK to Aus

Or a plug for the laptop cable, and a whole charger for the phone, as the voltage convertor is usually in the plug.

Guest tinkham_lee

I use my English charger with an adaptor, my partner brought an Aussie charger, after a power surge blew her English charger up. we also use in car chargers.

As for the laptop. I brought a new cable that goes between the power point and the transformer. keeping the original transformer (and original cable for holidays to England) I have a dell laptop and I had to shave a couple of mm of plastic from the corners of the plug on the transformer to make it fit. I was going to use an adaptor for the laptop but after the power surge I decided against it.

Or take off or cut (if sealed) the English plug off and rewire an Aussie plug on to it, This is what we did for most of our electrical items, we also brought over a couple of English 4 plug extension leads and changed the plugs on them, so we didnt need to change the plugs on less used items, and have plenty of English plugs for when family and friends come over. We found Bunnings is the best place for cheap plugs.