Guest picklesmummy

Hi there!

Guest picklesmummy

Hi!

I'm new here... at the moment we're still in the UK, but my husband has been offered a job in Adelaide so we're at the 'seriously considering it' stage! Hubby's contract would be for three years initially, with relocation expenses and a slightly higher salary than he is on now, so it seems too good an opportunity to pass up. The only downside is that neither of us have ever been to Australia and we're not likely to get chance to look about until he has accepted the job (and at that point they can fly him out to have a look at residental areas etc). Sooo.. I'm here hoping to get to know some of you guys who have made the move already and can offer some insight! :) We have a one year old daughter who I'm a SAHM too, so I won't be working in SA - be nice to hear from anyone else out there with children :)

Looking forward to meeting you all! *waves*

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi and welcome to PIA, we decided to immigrate to Oz and we had never been either, and I cannot believe how beautiful this country is. It is completely opposite to the UK. The ozzies seem to have the work play balance off to a tee, work hard and play hard.

It is a big step, and when we were considering moving we kept hearing "we had that chance some years ago and never took it".

We didn’t want to be one of those "what if" families so grabbed the opportunity with both hands, we both believe it’s better to have tried and failed than not tried at all.

On a plus note we now know it is the right choice, out children love it hear and love their school, my eldest did here week of swimming lessons not so long back, included in the week was snorkelling, body boarding, surf boarding, swimming and canoeing, I don’t thing she would have had the opportunity to do that in the UK.

What ever decision you make will have to be the right one for you and your family, we love it here and have no intention of going back our quality of life is twice as good as it was in the UK even if were not better off.

hi there we made the move to Adelaide without having been here on a reccie or anything, we find the place amazing, great people and a great way of life....

any questions just ask away on here people are very keen to share and help fellow migrants out...

HG

Guest lindagarrattley

Hi

Life is for living......take every opportunity you can. Rent your house in Uk and take this once in a life time opportunity. Best wishes Linda

Guest The Dimmocks

We had never been to Adelaide or Australia before, nearly 2 months in and we are settling in well. Kids are loving the outdoor lifestyle. Where abouts will your husband be based?

Michelle

Guest Trakki

we also made the move without having come here first and I can honestly say that it is the best thing we did, we love it here and the children are thriving, we have even had another little man since coming (unplanned but definitely a blessing). as you will see on my signature I have a 'few' children so would be happy to meet up when you arrive. Joe now 2.5 was 13 months when we flew over and it was fine.

good luck

Guest JoTanCalOwen

HI there,

We were going to move without doing a reccie, but we were lucky enough to be given the chance via BBC to go to Perth and we went on to Adelaide. As previously said, life is for living, once you have tried it, if it does not work out at least you have tried and you will not be saying 'what if' for years to come.

The decision you make together wil have to be right for your hubby, you and baby noone else, extended family emotions cannot answer the what ifs or fulfil your immediate family's dreams and destiny.

We all have questions and doubts, I do, and we are still waiting but still going, and we do not have the offer of a job, relocation costs and accommodation all thrown in to the adventure as you said 'too good an opportunity to miss' :)

Good luck with it all, it does seems as though you could have it made :wubclub:

Tanya x x

Guest picklesmummy

Hi

Thank you so much for all the replies, it's really nice to hear from people who have made the move and love being in SA! Hubby and I are both really taken with the idea of moving to Adelaide, although it's the usual things that are holding us back from rushing in and saying 'yes' - the stress of relocating our family halfway across the world, leaving parents and siblings behind (particularly as our daughter is my parents' only grandchild), finding someone to take on our cat for at least three years (and maybe permanently).. I guess these are the things we need to think carefully about.

Michelle : my OH would be working near Mawson Lakes, so we'd be looking at living in North-West Adelaide. I've looked at rentals online a bit but haven't devoted any serious time to it yet :)

Tracey: thanks so much for the offer of a meet up if we do decide to come over! It'd be great to already know some people in Adelaide. How did you find travelling with Joe? Assuming we leave this year my daughter will be about 18mths old and I dread the idea of a 20+ hour flight with her!

Tanya: How exciting that you and your family were on 'Wanted down Under'! I was googling around earlier trying to find an online episode set in Adelaide, but didn't have any luck. I used to love watching it when it was on last year, I just wish it was still on now because it would seem so much more relevant to me at the moment! :)

Guest jasons

Hi, thats great news, we are in exactly the same position- we havent been out yet (but hope to in the next 6 weeks).

There seems to be so much to do that we havent even planned yet!

Out of interest, what line of business is your husband in?

Rachel.

Guest kangomik

BAE technology park?

Theres a few pomms work there, they should be able to settle his mind regarding work.

Guest picklesmummy
    Hi, thats great news, we are in exactly the same position- we havent been out yet (but hope to in the next 6 weeks).

There seems to be so much to do that we havent even planned yet!

Out of interest, what line of business is your husband in?

Rachel.

Hi Rachel! Congratulations - are you planning to have a holiday in Adelaide, or are your company arranging the trip? At the moment I haven't even thought about all the things that would need doing if we do make the move - I'm sure that if we did, we'd never take the plunge! :)

kangomik, yes, I think hubby would be based at the technology park - it rings a bell anyway! He's an materials engineer.

Guest picklesmummy

Hi everyone

Just a quick update from me - we'd decided to go for it and make the move to Adelaide. Yay! I'm both terrified and thrilled - dreading getting started with clearing the house and getting it on the market, but pleased to have made a decision and able to plan at the same time :D We should have a better idea of timescales by the end of the week, but I think chances are we'll be looking at getting out there before Christmas.

Guest JoTanCalOwen
    Hi everyone

Just a quick update from me - we'd decided to go for it and make the move to Adelaide. Yay! I'm both terrified and thrilled - dreading getting started with clearing the house and getting it on the market, but pleased to have made a decision and able to plan at the same time :D We should have a better idea of timescales by the end of the week, but I think chances are we'll be looking at getting out there before Christmas.

What fantastic news !! :) what a lovely Christmas present for your family too, BBQ on the beach .... am so jealous lol

Our turn one day

I wish you all the best of everything

Tanya x x

Guest picklesmummy
    What fantastic news !! :) what a lovely Christmas present for your family too, BBQ on the beach .... am so jealous lol

Our turn one day

I wish you all the best of everything

Tanya x x

Thank you Tanya, and thanks again for all of your help and advice - it's much, much appreciated. Through this site I have come to realise just what a wonderful opportunity we've been given and how lucky we are to have it. It's funny because when the chance to go to SA first came up (about a year ago!) I was adament that I didn't want to move, and now I can't wait! I hope your visa comes through very soon. How long does the process normally take? (or is that one of those impossible questions??)

There are going to be some very tough bits to emigrating though - I told my best friend about it yesterday and she cried, so I cried... meeting for lunch again today and bet neither of us manage to keep our eyes dry :( I will miss her - our babies were born a day apart and so we've been through everything together.

Guest JoTanCalOwen
    Thank you Tanya, and thanks again for all of your help and advice - it's much, much appreciated. Through this site I have come to realise just what a wonderful opportunity we've been given and how lucky we are to have it. It's funny because when the chance to go to SA first came up (about a year ago!) I was adament that I didn't want to move, and now I can't wait! I hope your visa comes through very soon. How long does the process normally take? (or is that one of those impossible questions??)

There are going to be some very tough bits to emigrating though - I told my best friend about it yesterday and she cried, so I cried... meeting for lunch again today and bet neither of us manage to keep our eyes dry :( I will miss her - our babies were born a day apart and so we've been through everything together.

Hello, :)

Glad things are seeming a lot easier for you now, and yes you will have a lot of tears to come yet, I am lucky in a sense that I do not have an immediate close friend, I have lots of good friends so I will be in line with you for the tears, my sister will be the ONE when I see her for the last time prior to flying out :(..

Yes open ended question as to how long our visa is going to take, we are in category 5 and according to my agent that category is not moving yet, so it is a waiting game, never mind....

I just feel lucky to have been able to take this opportunity and with the four of us all wanting to migrate that has made the whole process easier, most of our family members are happy for us a couple have had their grumbles but I suppose they are entitled to them.,

keep me posted :wubclub:

Tanya

Guest picklesmummy

Hi!

Just realised I hadn't been back to post an update for a while! :D

Well, things are on the move here - my husband got his official job offer and has now resigned from his UK job (with 3mths notice, so he finishes with them in July). His new Australian employers have started organising our visas - they are applying for a 457 employer sponsored (business temp) visa for hubby, apparently this can take up to four months to come through although they seem pretty confident that it could happen sooner. Either way my OH's start date with them isn't until October, so it doesn't matter too much if it does take the full 16 weeks to process everything.

Our house goes on the market this week (after a LOT of decluttering - I think I'm currently keeping our local Freecycle afloat!) and my beloved pet rabbits have already gone to their new home with my sister. We owe a rental property in the town centre (which we'll be keeping) so fingers crossed, if the house sells quickly then we'll be going to live there when our current tenants finish their contract in August, and then on to Adelaide in October!

It's starting to feel very real now - we're going to Australia! :huh: We're all still really excited although I have had a few tears - firstly because of the house (both the stress of sorting it out for sale and the fact of selling it, as I LOVE this house) then again when my rabbits went; pretty much every time I talk to my mum... the list goes on. I had a major sobbing / shrieking fit as well when I read the 'House Spider or Huntsman?' thread in the Household forum :biglaugh: That went something along the lines of 'waaaaahhh... a giant spider is going to carry off my baby... waaaah... I want to live in an apartment..... waaahhhh... OMG I've just remembered - they can CLIMB!!' and so on :biglaugh: I've put the spider issue to the back of my mind for now, although I will say - it's a great way to cure any sort of British spider arachophobia (they look so tiny and harmless in comparison!)

Tracy

If it's any consolation, I was the world's biggest wuss about spiders in the UK - we used to live opposite fields and get those big scary black harvest spiders every september - yukk! Hardly had any here in Oz though, far less than we got in the UK! Now I've said that I'll probably wake up with a huntsman on my chest!! And...I'm hopeless at housework, and regularly leave clothes on the floor, and ...touch wood.... not had any real problems!

Guest cara

Hi Tracy firstly dont worry too much about spiders not big ones anyway unless you are going to live in the hills. If you want to be near Mawson Lakes for your husbands work you prob wont end up there. We live in the western suburbs and you see a few redbacks which can be dangerous for babies but you can get the inside and outside of the house treated to keep them off. You will have loads to do with the baby as there are playgroups everywhere which usually only cost a few dollars. I am a member of the aquatic centre in north adelaide which has a baby pool and as a member you get 2 hours free creche on weekday mornings so you can go to the gym yourself or spa or just grab a coffee. Then of course there is the zoo you can get a years membership for about $150 which allows open access to the zoo which is a great way to spend an afternoon. Also there are loads of playgrounds where we are anyway and most are covered with shade sails which is a must most of the year. During the summer it is generally too hot to take children out during the day so the shopping malls a great especially our local one at west lakes which has a little play area with a coffee kiosk. Anyway hope this is helpful. Hope the rest of your move isnt too stressful.

Maggie

Guest Jersey Bean

Hi

My hubby Rick has been as he was born there! but I haven`t reading the post I think with what you all & Rick have said I think I`m going to love it.

I`m traveling with a 3 year old!! & 6month old plus a grumpy `12 y old!! not looking forward to that but is a bit quicker from Dubai!

I always watch wanted down under have the Adelaide one on bbc i player ha!

Brilliant

Claire