Carpenter/joiner Licence

Guest Deano1970

Guest Deano1970

Hi im Dean my family is Partner Anne-Marie Haydn Age 13 and Baby Jamie Age 1 on the 16th of May We just joined forum aswell, switched to state sponsored Can any one tell me if i need a licence to work as Carpenter/jJoiner when employed by a firm as the imformation on site i was given doesnt explain it simple.CheeRs

Guest Guest75

Hi Dean

As far as I know you will need a license - if your are employed or self employed.

You can work supervised for employers while obtaining the license though.

That's all I know,sure someone else will have more than me.

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

Guest Im Here

Hi Dean

If you work as an employee then no you don't need a licence your employer will sign your work off. If you decided to work for yourself or even do the odd weekend work as a back hander then yes you need a licence. If you are found working without a licence you can be fined up to $20,000

have a look at this

OCBA - Licensing

Guest kfoley0681

hi just to say although employers will take you on without a licence and sign off your work this is not really correct tradesmen are reqiured to have licences even to be an apprentice and progressing to an qualifed employee and these licences do have requirements. to work for yourself you do need a seperate licence.

Guest Im Here

Found this for you. This only applies like i said if your working for an employer not as a sole trader self employed ect. Also not sure how up to date this is but if you need a deffo answer give OCBA an email they will let you know the correct answer

Carpenter 4411-13

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you wish to practise your occupation. Select from the following state links to find out details of the local authority in your state.

New South Wales

Licensing is compulsory for unsupervised residential trade work. Licensing is not required for commercial or residential trade work.

Department of Fair Trading (DFT)

Home Building Licensing

Locked Bag A 5020

Sydney South NSW 1235

Telephone:133 220

Fax: 61 2 9377 9325

Victoria

There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Victoria.

Queensland

Licensing is compulsory in order to carry out or supervise building work over the value of $1100 (including Labour and materials).

Building Services Authority

11 Edmondstone Street

South Brisbane QLD 4101

PMB 84, Coorparoo DC QLD 4151

Telephone: 61 7 3225 2800

Fax: 61 7 3225 2999

Email: info@bsa.qld.gov.au

South Australia

There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in South Australia.

Western Australia

There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Western Australia.

Tasmania

There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Tasmania.

Northern Territory

Registration is compulsory in order to carry out residential building work over the value of $12,000.

Building Practitioners Board

GPO Box 1680 Darwin NT 0801

Telephone: 61 8 8999 8964

Fax: 61 8 8999 8967

Email: bpb@nt.gov.au

Australian Capital Territory

There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in the ACT.

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of an employer who would sponser/offer employment in the joining/carpenter trade. My brother in law was made redundant recently and has decided he would like to try living here. Hes been in the trade for approx 30yrs and has already started the process by contacting a migrant agent. I said i would ask if anyone would be able to assist.

Many thanks.