Sign in to follow this  
Guest smit

question foe electrical people

Guest smit

This might sound daft but but does anyone know if you woluld get fried if you hit the odinary overhead power lines , that run down a lot of streets, with a metal pole?. I was looking today and as they were so low it looked like they might be insulated, the ones to the actual house look like it is.

I know the theory of the big power lines and earthing, but just interested in the answer here. thought it would be better asking rather than trying:biglaugh:

Guest MrsHills

Hmm I dont know if this will answer it or not, but my sons f.i.l. was killed when he tipped the truck back bit to unload sand and the back bit went against the overhead power lines, and he was electrocuted.

(I did read that you had to hit a couple of them together but that may be old wives tale).

Guest tooeasy

if you are tanding on the ground and you hit an overhead power line with a metal pole you will become extra crispy lol :D

Guest Reenz

ETSA regularly runs a "Look Up and Live" campaign, focused on safety around powerlines.

The fact sheet you can download from the following link shows all the scary voltages for each of the different types of powerpoles. Not to be messed with!

ETSA Utilities :: Look Up and Live