Guest suttons

Make the move or not ??

Guest suttons

I know no-one can really decide for me whether to make the move permanently to SA, but i guess its nice to have some feedback other than family opinions. We have just got back to the UK after validating our visas, we found Adelaide beautiful, especially around the Glenelg/Brighton/Hallet Cove areas, we enjoyed every minute of our stay here and didnt want to come home, although i was looking forward to seeing my family. So.... easy enough to move if i had no family, but trying to work out if it really is the best thing for the kids to migrate is difficult. Better lifestyle/quality of life etc weighed up against the large family network they see quite regularly and have here, has anyone made the move to SA leaving family behind they and their kids were extremely close to. Im so scared of making the wrong decision for them (and if i admit it.. and me). My OH would be on a plane back to SA as soon as possible, he sees nothing here for them as they get older.

Sorry to go on.... confused and head spinning all the time at the moment, thought it might help to get it off my chest.

Shona x

Shona (36) Ian (36) Elisha (11) Mitchell (8) and Ty (2)

Guest BAZnDAF

I think most people have to leave family and close friends behind. Its all a risk in some way shape or form.

wouldn't be a challanging adventure if it was too easy!

Guest Nizcac

I'm in a similar situation, but the opposite way to yours. My OH loves adelaide and Australia. We went 4 years ago and If we could have stayed there we would have never come back.

I am close to my family but i could leave in 1/2 an hour if the oppurtunity came along. My OH on the other hand, is fighting with his own feelings because he doesn't feel sure that he can leave his family behind. We started our visa application in 2006 when we came back from Oz. Exchange rate was 2.55 aud to the £1.:shocked: and sparks were on the modl. BUT... OH's dad was taken ill and has since passed on. So we stopped the visa application when he was ill and OH is very reluctant to start it up again. Especially with the exchange so bad in comparison and the skills list gone for review. It now seems my odds are stacked against me!:err:

I wish you all the luck in the world and truly hope you are happy which ever way you turn.

Niz.x

I think what i'm trying to say is... Give it ago...if it doesn't work nobody will think any the less of you, but at least you have tried! If it DOES work you will have made a new life for you and your family and as all good fairy tales go....."live happily ever after"

OH went out to Adelaide in Dec 2008 to meet with employers and look around. When he came back we sat down and discussed what was best fro us as a family. We thought about family, work and life here. We were settled and not really in a bad way. What I'm trying to say is we managed and I think that our life was not so bad. So we decided that the move wasn't going to happen for us. Our family was very relieved.

Every time there was something on the tele, radio even books it was gut wrenching, it actually made us a little depressed, and we always always thought WHAT IF?

In Feb 2009, we thought to hell with it, lets sell up and go and try then at least we can say we tried it. Whats the worst that can happen, it may not work out and you have to come back and start over. Better to try then to live a life of regrets and pondering what if.

We arrive in 2 weeks and to be honest, I am having a lot of mixed emotions happy/sad there are a lot of leaving party's for us, but I am still so excited to go to Adelaide. Even the kids can't wait to get on the plane. We secured our car yesterday at Jarvis cars and we have our short term accommodation already booked for 4 weeks. I spent time to show the kids our rental and car on the Internet so they know what to expect, because even though they are young they still understand. Kieran and Maya are so excited I can't explain.

If you really want to go you should go, and if not you stay it's a simple as.

Prema x

Guest ajw

Hi prema, you mentioned short-term accommodation for 4 weeks for your family. Did you organise this through the South Aus immigration housing rental service for new arrivals or go straight to a private lettings agency?

Guest hel&sam

hi shona, cant say what you should do but our kids are 11 and 8 like your eldest two and we thought we had to give it a go before they were much older as it appears to get harder the older they are. sam only has a brother in the uk, i dont have a particularly large (or close except for my sister) family so i thought it would be ok but it was incredibly difficult leaving them, however, we've only been here three weeks and everyones fine now, i only miss my friend. Everyones different but personally i had to come and try, cant see me going back any time soon.

Guest suttons

thanks Helen, keep me posted via Inbox if you want to let me know how its going, would be nice to be in touch as Hallett Cove is one of the areas we are looking at settling in.

Guest Janine3979

Hi,

We are in a similar situation but are sure we are doing the right thing. The kids will miss their grandparents, uncles and aunties etc. and my brother really doesn't want us to go. But we figured we will have visits from family at least once a year and if you plan to be able to come back for a holiday every 2-3 years thing wouldn't so bad. It seems really easy to make friends will people over there. Also with everyone on skype you could see them every day, I know it's not the same but it does make it easier.

It's your choice and only you could know if you will be happy over there without your family around.

Good luck on making the right choice for you.

Guest arpy69

For those of you having a bit of a wobble about moving over:nah:, I would say give it a go. We have friends that have come here and some that went back, but most said it was worth doing even if it was'nt for them.

For us the first 18mths felt a bit as if our family in the UK had all passed away. We spoke to them but was'nt the same as popping round Mums for a coffee. It truly does get better though as you friends network builds up. Eventually you good friends become a sort of surragate family and do the babysitting type of stuff.

Our children were then 4 7 and 9 and said they missed the Uk for a long while but now six short years on there is no way they'd go back!

We are now moving from Coromandel Valley to Cherry Gardens 10 mins down the road and having the wobbles again!!!

Hope that this helps oh and by the way if anyone wants to buy my house.....

Hi

As most people have said on here, that it is up to you and you are the only one's that can deciede. But it's the WHAT IF, The way I look at the WHAT IF. is, what if 20 years down the line you had the chance did not make the move, and would still be woundering about the WHAT IF. So as for us we are off out for 2 week reccie in Aug then back to Eng then back out as soon as pos. for how long nobody knows> But you have to give it a good few years to get the feel of things.

Guest suttons

thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your thoughts, i agree with most things people have said, the 'what if' is definately what bothers me if we dont do it, i think i am just scared of leaving all the security and life we have here, for something that might be a big mistake, theres the 'what if' again the OH and children are happy and i spend the rest of my life wanting to come back. I guess its the FEAR of the unknown that is the scary part,

thanks again though

Shona x