Moving in 14 months and don't seem to be doing anything!

Guest sforbes

Guest sforbes

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone is or has been in a similar situation. I was granted my visa in Jan 2010 and am planning on making the move early next summer. At present I don't seem to be doing anything about getting organised for the big move? I seem to be really laid back about the whole thing and not sure if I should be starting to get organised...does anyone feel the same? Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks everyone

Sharon

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Hi Sharon,

I WOULD BE BURSTING !!!

The hardest thing I think I am going to find is going through all my 'stuff' that I have collected over the years and deciding if it is to go or be disposed of.... :(

If I were in your position, firstly I would start to de-clutter - maybe do a car boot, or charity shop, I would be looking at stuff to bring with me, heavy quilts for winter, a tumble as I don't own one yet but will when am out there for the winter as none of houses seem to have central heating as we know it ... maybe petty considerations but these are at the forefront of my to do list, once the decluttering is done I think it will be easier for the removal companies to be able to give more accurate quotes.....

Thats just how I see things, we were told to start getting removal quotes about six months before so if thats the case there are eight months to sort out all you want to take, can and cannot take.

Good luck with it all am sure the time will go quicker than you realise

Tanya :)

Guest BAZnDAF

Agree with Tanya, De clutter first, then look at getting property ready for sale/renting etc.. Start saving as soon as possible, cut back on all expenditure.

This is what we are doing now, we expect to move later this year, but time and weather does make things difficult to do the outside of the house. Have booked the first week of May off work to get the outside bit done, fingers crossed it don't rain.

Baz

Guest Drumms

Hi Sharon,

We have had our visas since 2007 and move over end of this year. De- clutter is defo something you could start doing, it's surprising how much you have, and it always takes longer than you think. One thing I have been doing over the last couple of years is add bits and pieces. You know how you used to have a wedding drawer, teatowls, pegs etc. I've got an Oz cupboard! Bedding is supposed to be more expensive, so I've been buying bedding in the sales. Tea towels, towels, bathmats, peg basket with pegs (tesco is great for this). We plan to take everything. I'd rather buy stuff over a period of time rather than pay out when funds are really tight when over in Oz at the beginning of the move.

It will soon come round!

Guest Carolandcraig
Hi Sharon,

We have had our visas since 2007 and move over end of this year. De- clutter is defo something you could start doing, it's surprising how much you have, and it always takes longer than you think. One thing I have been doing over the last couple of years is add bits and pieces. You know how you used to have a wedding drawer, teatowls, pegs etc. I've got an Oz cupboard! Bedding is supposed to be more expensive, so I've been buying bedding in the sales. Tea towels, towels, bathmats, peg basket with pegs (tesco is great for this). We plan to take everything. I'd rather buy stuff over a period of time rather than pay out when funds are really tight when over in Oz at the beginning of the move.

It will soon come round!

Bedding is quite expensive but just beware, if your bringing your own bed, great the bedding will be perfect, but if you plan on buying a new bed when you get here the sizes are different. Take a look a this thread and theres a few links to compare the sizes

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/barbie/14294-bed-sizes.html

Guest BAZnDAF

Daph has been buying bedding too, she's been buying kingsize sheets. She tells me these will fit in Oz. Personally I havent checked if thats the case.

Baz

Daph has been buying bedding too, she's been buying kingsize sheets. She tells me these will fit in Oz. Personally I havent checked if thats the case.

Baz

King bedding fits a queen bed. I did check before we came out but we have just bought a new queen bed and a our king fitted sheet fits perfectly.

All I can say on the organising front is you have plently of time to panic so don't just yet - lol that will come with 3 months to go.

Start decluttering room by room and get rid of stuff that you know you don't like or don't want to take. Strart replacing items as yes bedding is expenisve but I have been looking at you can get some for around $40 but have not idea if it will be M&S quality as not found any I like yet.

Then make a list of everything that needs to be done and keep adding to it and crossing it off and give dates for when it has to be done etc.

If you write it down it is easier to visualise and organise. We put ours up on the kitchen wall and then put plank pieces of paper up for each week and wrote down on them what task needed to be done that week.

It really helped me keep sane! :)

Honestly the time will fly by and make the most of it with family and friends and be as organised as you can.

Good luck

Michelle

Guest sforbes

thanks everyone for your valuable input - I think a list is in order :idea: (I'm pretty good at those), thanks for the suggestions...really starting to get very excited the more I think about it!