Guest sforbes

Previous tax file number

Guest sforbes

Hi there

I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to this one - I did a WHV in Oz a number of years ago, I was given a tax file number. I have no idea what the number was as I have not kept any record of it (duh). Does anyone know if I should get a new tax file number or try and find out what my old one was and should I use that ....when I finally arrive!

Many thanks all

Sharon

ATO ph: 13 28 61 you will need to answer questions to verify your identity then they will give you your tfn....

hope that helps

Jo :0)

Guest WoodMartin
    Hi there

I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to this one - I did a WHV in Oz a number of years ago, I was given a tax file number. I have no idea what the number was as I have not kept any record of it (duh). Does anyone know if I should get a new tax file number or try and find out what my old one was and should I use that ....when I finally arrive!

Many thanks all

Sharon

I was in the same position as you Sharon, with no record of my old TFN. I just applied for a number when I arrived last year (applied online) and the number I was given was wildly different from Alan's who applied at the same time. I guess it was the old number, it's working just fine whether it is new or old though!

Ali

Guest familygood

Hi, I got mine when we arrived in Jan and yes it was my old number. They rang and checked I had worked here before and she dug it out and gave me that one. It took a few days longer than my husbands to come through because of it. I had no record of my old number either so just apply in the usual way online and they will work it out for you. You have to state if you have had one before on the form. HTH!

Yep, if you have had one previously that is the one to use, the ATO should be able to track it down for you.

One thing to note, you may have had a non-resident taxpayer code on your WHV (depends what you registered at the time) when they reissue you with your old one ensure you have the right tax code registered ie resident for tax purposes or non resident, it makes a big difference to your tax bill. This will clarify what you should register as Tax Tools - Residency

Regards

Andy