is this you

Guest Guest5035

"The survey, carried out among 1,306 Britons in 12 countries, examined quality of life factors including transport, entertainment, food, crime, housing, schools and healthcare alongside pay levels. It found nearly nine out of ten praised their work environment and work/life balance, and felt their quality of life was better than in Britain."

Based on the above I would have to say no. Commute is longer, work hours no different, food isn't that great - there are some good restaurants but more choice/better in UK, still plenty of crime, housing is expensive as is healthcare & buying a car. Transport is fine though if you live near a train line. As for pay levels, generally not that great here. If you bring plenty of cash with you then it's not a problem though your money will buy you a lot lot less than a few years ago due to big increases in house prices and the poor exchange rate. Also, SA isn't quite civilised yet which is a shame.

On the plus side, it's sunnier. It's a big plus getting up almost every day to blue skies but is that enough?

Guest Carolandcraig

I agree with the report. My wifes work has a better work ratio, and feels more appricated here than she ever did in the uk, wages are much better, the schools are a bit weird but my children do things here that they would have never done in the uk, Snorkeling, body boarding, etc etc.

Whilst second hand cars are expensive, new cars are probabley on par if not a bit cheaper than the uk. Whilst there is still crime here i dont find it on par with the uk. I still find it very strange when we go to the park that it hasnt been vandalised the minute it went up! Totally love this place and dont ever see myself back in the UK.

Guest Guest75
:)For good weather and ease of everyday life in Adelaide yes. However I earn much more in the UK and my kids would get a better education there ( and they attend private schools here). So we can't afford to stay here, so no.:sad::sad:

I thought you were on a really good wage Pommy - didn't I see you quote over 100k??

"The survey, carried out among 1,306 Britons in 12 countries, examined quality of life factors including transport, entertainment, food, crime, housing, schools and healthcare alongside pay levels. It found nearly nine out of ten praised their work environment and work/life balance, and felt their quality of life was better than in Britain."

Based on the above I would have to say no. Commute is longer, work hours no different, food isn't that great - there are some good restaurants but more choice/better in UK, still plenty of crime, housing is expensive as is healthcare & buying a car. Transport is fine though if you live near a train line. As for pay levels, generally not that great here. If you bring plenty of cash with you then it's not a problem though your money will buy you a lot lot less than a few years ago due to big increases in house prices and the poor exchange rate. Also, SA isn't quite civilised yet which is a shame.

On the plus side, it's sunnier. It's a big plus getting up almost every day to blue skies but is that enough?

Have to agree with this. This place is beautiful and the sunshine is lovely but balancing everything up, quality of life is not better. Heading back shortly after 5 years. Didn't appreciate what we had until we gave it up !! Wouldn't hesitate to return here on holiday but not to live.

:D

I have to say YES....

I work 27 hours as a hairdresser, we live on the river with Dolphins swimming and playing, we fish for fun, we have bought a tent to take the kiddies camping, we use our kayak alot, after work we go to parks and the beach.

the kids all go to a fantastic school, I was happy with the ones in England too, but for sure this is incredible my son who has severe learning problems is now above average in every lesson and top in some too, cant wait to come home to do his homework so he can get good grades at the end of the year.

In the house we are renting there is a small communal health club, swimming pool, gym, steamroom, sauna, spa bath, all included in your rent.

As a family we have a great deal of fun, and for those who do say there is nothing to do in Adelaide, you are kidding me.

WE LOVE IT!

Best life Ive ever lived and I never want this bubble to burst, Quality all the way!

Life can only be what you make it.

Laura xxxxxxxxx:D

Guest kfoley0681

i have to say personally the quality of life for my family is better as in it is more relaxed slower pace which to me is far better for kids to be brought up in also the school my children go to is fantastic the kids have come on heaps and there confidence has grown to. dont get me wrong we have found it hard hubby earns less big mortgage etc etc but i find it very hard to read negative comments and also i hear negative comments about here from people due to personal bad experiences. how can you say education is better in uk??? how many schools have you tried here only 1 school can not tar them all with the same brush for us school has been better and i believed they were at a good school in uk!! also i would not say australia is backwards and not civilised it is not as fast paced as uk but that is surly a good thing it hasnt yet got as bad as the uk! we personally as imsure others did have reasons for emigrating those things you wanted to leave behind havent got better they probably have got worse! they dont just disapear because you are home sick! ok there are some people that will truly be better off and happier in the uk but please dont slate everything here as you all wanted to come here too and we all still live her also to come all this way why not try a differentstate they all have somethinfg different to offer!!

i have to say personally the quality of life for my family is better as in it is more relaxed slower pace which to me is far better for kids to be brought up in also the school my children go to is fantastic the kids have come on heaps and there confidence has grown to. dont get me wrong we have found it hard hubby earns less big mortgage etc etc but i find it very hard to read negative comments and also i hear negative comments about here from people due to personal bad experiences. how can you say education is better in uk??? how many schools have you tried here only 1 school can not tar them all with the same brush for us school has been better and i believed they were at a good school in uk!! also i would not say australia is backwards and not civilised it is not as fast paced as uk but that is surly a good thing it hasnt yet got as bad as the uk! we personally as imsure others did have reasons for emigrating those things you wanted to leave behind havent got better they probably have got worse! they dont just disapear because you are home sick! ok there are some people that will truly be better off and happier in the uk but please dont slate everything here as you all wanted to come here too and we all still live her also to come all this way why not try a differentstate they all have somethinfg different to offer!!

I thought this thread was asking for people's opinions. If no-one posted anything negative then people wouldn't get a very balanced view in my opinion. Surely it's better for people coming over here to see everyone's views so that those coming here for the first time don't think it's the land of milk and honey. It is a wonderful place but everyone's experience and circumstances are different.

Why do people feel they have to dismiss comments by others because they are apparently negative??? We all have different experiences and expectations and look for different things in life. We come from different places in the UK, some are busier than Adelaide, many are not. Some find they had better lives in the UK. You don't know until you try which is what people do.

Had to laugh at the "i find it very hard to read......" bit though. I find punctuation, correct spelling & grammar go a long way to making something easy to read, especially when commenting on education standards. :wacko:

I thought this thread was asking for people's opinions. If no-one posted anything negative then people wouldn't get a very balanced view in my opinion. Surely it's better for people coming over here to see everyone's views so that those coming here for the first time don't think it's the land of milk and honey. It is a wonderful place but everyone's experience and circumstances are different.

100% absolutely. We need to respect the opinions voiced here not criticise them !

Guest Lisado

Our life is "heaps" better since we came here. I have 2 part time jobs earning more money than I did in the Uk and can work from home, so I spend more quality time with my children. My husband has excellent job as well.

Every day when I come home from work its like being on holiday as we have a stunning drive home and live by the beach. I have a better social life and spend our time with great friends and their children.

My work colleagues are brilliant. I love SA and the climate. The food is amazing and you can pretty much buy anything.

Of course we have had our ups and downs but I think due to the wonderful relaxed atomsphere and friends you get through them.

I don't feel as stressed out as I did in the UK.

All in all life is great

Guest hel&sam

havent really been here long enough to join in this one, however, i have to say it very much depends what sort of lifestyle you had in the uk, where you were and why you came here. Money isnt everything, already i can tell we will be financially worse off here but there are a thousand other things which will make up for that. Education wise? not sure, i dont think they will be pushed and stressed as much as they were in the uk but i dont actually think thats a bad thing. Australia still produces highly educated doctors, lawyers, etc who travel the world with their skills, i've worked with some in the uk, so the education may be different but i dont think its worse just more relaxed.

don't think there is much difference, the summer might be better but when its 40 odd deg and you have to work in it its no fun. I would say it Even's its self out but I do find here is getting expensive to live now compared to what it used to be.I was back in the UK twice last year and found it very cheap to live.

Guest The Dimmocks
It's not money thats important here, I think its more of a case of who can have the best lifestyle than who's got the best house or car.

As long as you can feed the family and have a little fun, don't you think?

Laura xxx

I agree Laura, financially we were better off in UK, house nearly paid for, no debt (other than mortgage). When we buy here will have a bigger mortgage than we ever had. Hubby not earning as much, but we can pay the bills, feed the kids so we happy. Yeah lots of money would be nice but it not what makes us happy, seeing the kids enjoying more of an outdoor life than they ever had in UK on clean beaches and parks is what makes us smile.

So far so good for us (it is us). You never know what life is going to throw at you or what path it going to take you down so we living our life how we want to live it while we can as you never know what going to happen. Life is far to short :)

Guest The Dimmocks
i have noticed that alot of people relate to the beach. If in the UK you lived near the beach, would you have still come here??

stevo

We lived in the Midlands so cant answer that one as didnt live by a beach.

Guest TraceyT

Not arrived yet, but cannot wait for the lifestyle change. Here in the north it is very wet, therefore making outdoor lifestyle impossible. The kids watch tv & play on the xbox & computer too much. We want to be able to offer them a healthier life. We live half an hours drive from Blackpool, which is our nearest beach & never really go as it isn't the cleanest place. Really looking forward to the white sands at Brighton and walking along the prom. Don't care if we take a hit on the wages, as long as we can offer the kids a fantastic lifestyle opportunity that they can't get here.

Not arrived yet, but cannot wait for the lifestyle change. Here in the north it is very wet, therefore making outdoor lifestyle impossible. The kids watch tv & play on the xbox & computer too much. We want to be able to offer them a healthier life. We live half an hours drive from Blackpool, which is our nearest beach & never really go as it isn't the cleanest place. Really looking forward to the white sands at Brighton and walking along the prom. Don't care if we take a hit on the wages, as long as we can offer the kids a fantastic lifestyle opportunity that they can't get here.

Thats the spirit keep that attitude, and that way of thinking and you will be fine.....

HG

Guest Lisado

Yeah we lived right next to the beach in UK - always windy, sea freezing and beach dirty. We also lived 45 mins from Bamburgh and some of the most beautiful beaches in UK - but I cant think of anywhere I would want to be than here in Adelaide right now

Perfect