Guest lilopilo

Shall we still make the move?

Guest lilopilo

I haven't posted for a while but keep reading everyone's posts. My last post was finding out the cost of living in Adelaide and the answers were really helpful.

The problem is when we began the Visa process in September 2007 the exchange rate was between 2.3 to 2.5, Adelaide housing was more affordable and as the recession hadn't hit, our house was worth £50k more.

The major question is now, do we still come when financially we will be MUCH worse off than when we started the process. Taking in to account the three major changes above we will have about £220k less than in 2007. Is it worth the risk??? We loved Adelaide when we validated but the financial worries are making me feel like we have missed the boat. Anyone else in a similar situation?????

Thanks

Kathy

Guest clare

Yea we are in a similar position. We validated in feb 2008 as we hadnt sold our house came home and sold it 18 months later for so much less coz the resession have been living with my mum and dad since last may which has been difficult at times but at xmas we booked are flights and are flying out on the 24 june yea the exchange rate isnt great and we dont have much money but a desire to have a better future for ourselves and our children. You only get one life and you really do have to make the most of it. The way i see it is, as we were lucky enuf to have visas then we goota get out there and give it a go! Good luck with ur thoughts i know its a bigy!

We are right at the start of the Visa process, hoping to join our daughter and her family in 2 years time. They came out when the exchange rate was good and got maximum price for their house in the UK.

Who knows what the financial position will be when we eventually come to Adelaide. All I know is that would rather be poor and happy near my family than poorish, frustrated and missing them all on the other side of the world.

Good luck with your decision. If its what you all want, you will make a go of it. At least you have the Visas!

Guest guest3462

You have the visa, so you'd be mad not to come and try it for a year or 2, if it doesnt work out, you can go back to the UK. It would be a great shame to think in 20 years, what if?..........

Good luck to you whatever you decide

JC x

Only you can answer that question but like the others you really would be mad and not come and try it for a couple of years. Financially it can be hard but then it is such an adventure and if you have already been over it is not as bigger risk.

I always say to anyone considering it "go for it" you never know whats around the corner and it could be (probably will) the best decision you make. If not at least you gave it a go.

Good luck

xx

Guest mOZzy

do you really want the exact same life just with more sun?

of course it will be hard! you'll start at the bottom again and have to work your way up!

but you'll take a different path this time and hopefully you'll end up in a better place :)

why else would you want to move in the first place?!?

so i'd say if you are willing to work hard and give it your all, nothing can go wrong!

Guest kerfumph

Taking in to account the three major changes above we will have about £220k less than in 2007.

Thanks

Kathy

Doing some quick maths, you must still have loads though. You lost 50kGBP on your house, say houses here have gone up (generously) 40kGBP, that means the going from 2.4 to 1.7 exchange has lost you 130k. It's lost about a third of its value so you must still be bringing 260kGBP, so 400,000 dollars ish. Theres a post around asking if you can do it on $17,000.:goofy:

Hmm, interesting how people say that only you can decide but then add that you'd be mad not to come ...

Personally, I'd go through the reasons for making the move one more time and see if the things you want to change, improve, experience etc can be done in other ways. Adelaide isn't the only place in the world where it's sunny, and while it certainly has its attractions only you can decide if taking a big financlal hit is worth it to come here. I certainly wouldn't regard you as mad if you chose not to make the move at this point in time.

Jim

Guest Django
    The major question is now, do we still come when financially we will be MUCH worse off than when we started the process. Taking in to account the three major changes above we will have about £220k less than in 2007.

Try looking at it from another angle......

You're not worse off because its only potential money you could have had. You haven't lost what you never had.

I would concerntrate on how much you you can bring with you now and what you can do with it. You could wait a few years for house prices to improve over there but house prices are going up here as well. At the end of the day you will probably be able to buy a similar house here today as you would in 5 years time The only difference would be that you would pay more for it and so actually be no better off.

Guest back clan

We lost 50 grand on our house in the Uk and probably earn a bit less here. We also changed our money and brought it over because the interest rates are higher so have it in a savings account.

It's hard to advise someone what to do because we don't know your circumstances but we do feel better off because we have more time together as a family and go out every weekend.

We personally have no regrets at all and love it here!!

Good luck with your decision

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Hello there,

We all have our opinions to suit our families, and personal circumstances I agree, :wubclub:

In our situation we will be a lot lighter on savings but about even on the day to day living if we are lucky by the time we do get out there and settle, obviously depending on financial climate. We are hoping to have the warm outdoor family life, our house at present is worth about 120K so the money we will have would probably only be enough for a sizable deposit on a house, so far our only downfall is that my husband is a baker and that is our ticket to Oz, the jobs we have seen advertised are 1 a.m. starts and thereabouts so possibly not much better off in the 'family time' area of our hopeful future, only time will tell, at present we are still going through the process and hoping to make a life out there.

Its a chance we are willing to take, and has been mentioned before, we do have family to come back to, we do not expect everything will fall in our laps, and know we are going to have work for the life we want for our children and ourselves, this in turn is going to involve some sacrifices on our part to begin with, we are always looking forward with a positive attitude and do not want to have the what-ifs haunting us.

Good luck with your decisions and future

Tanya xx

P.S., I am not being high and mighty, sometimes words seems so harsh when you type them and I am not being harsh xxx :cute: this is how I see things for my family xx

Sounds to me like you have got your heads screwed on and are ready to go...keep that attitude and you will be fine...

The guys on here are always here for support and help and advice...

HG

Hi Kathy

You don't say whether you have actually sold your house or not, only that it is worth £50k less. If you haven't sold it then maybe you could rent it out??

As for the exchange rate, maybe just bring the minimum amount of cash you need over with you and rent here. All options are risky, we are in exactly the same boat as you and sometimes I think we must be totally mad to have made the move just when the world economies all jumped off a cliff, but that's life and these things are out of our control. Maybe leave the money (or the house if not yet sold) in the UK, rent for a year and see how you get on. Then you can always go back, or else bring the money over if/when things get better. Who knows where things will be financially in a year's time, nobody predicted what did happen.

House prices don't seem to be rising much here, at least not in this area where the median house price actually fell last year. Some houses sell really quickly but others have been on the market for ages and keep dropping their asking price.

I haven't posted for a while but keep reading everyone's posts. My last post was finding out the cost of living in Adelaide and the answers were really helpful.

The problem is when we began the Visa process in September 2007 the exchange rate was between 2.3 to 2.5, Adelaide housing was more affordable and as the recession hadn't hit, our house was worth £50k more.

The major question is now, do we still come when financially we will be MUCH worse off than when we started the process. Taking in to account the three major changes above we will have about £220k less than in 2007. Is it worth the risk??? We loved Adelaide when we validated but the financial worries are making me feel like we have missed the boat. Anyone else in a similar situation?????

Thanks

Kathy

Ditto to above! We applied in 2007 and then due to delays didn't get ur visa until June 2009. We are here and have been since November. I won't lie - we will have 3 times the mortgage and be living in a smaller house (we stupidly didn't exchange at 1.80 and now will be bringing over our money at 1.65 unless things improve) Lost over 60K in pounds and have watched property go up here. BUT - we are glad we did. If the decision is all about money - you may stuggle but if it is about change and adventure - you'll be OK. Oh and I forgot to say that if choose to live in some areas you won't be paying as much as us. We are limited because we have our kids in a school we like and we need to be between two work places and the school.