TheHarrisonFamily

Advice needed on dependent child

We are in the process of a 176 application. Have had medicals requested in last 2 weeks.:jiggy:

We have an 18 year old daughter who is currently at college doing A levels. She is due to take her exams June this year. She then wants to go to Uni, but is taking a year out, as we are expecting our visa hopefully soon!! The intention is that she will start her Uni life in Austalia when we get there.

Now im worried because Visa progress seems to have slowed down and with recent talk of lack of visa allocation remaining- its possibly unlikely we will get our visa before 1.7.10, when the new visa year starts.

Where do we stand with her being dependent? Our CO has already aknowledged her as a dependent and the online status for evidence shows 'met'. Her college letter as evidence stated she would be in full time education until June 10.

If our visa isnt issued until after this ( if we get the go ahead that is), will her dependency be taken from application date??

Im seriously considering getting her to sign up to another college course for 12 months, just so we can prove she is still dependent. This is really a waste of time, as we hoped to be in Oz by christmas and college wont start until Sept.

We dont want any reason at this late stage for DIAC to turn us down.:arghh:

Any one got any knowledge on this??:notworthy:

Many thanks

Donna

We were in a slighly different situation, my daughter was 21 and full time student and was classed as dependent when we initially got our temporary visas. When we applied for our permanent visa over here, my daughter had been travelling for a few months whilst waiting to continue her studies here. It was accepted that she would be dependent on us for the future year but we had to 'prove' that she had been dependent on us for the previous year - this was extremely difficult as they wanted things like evidence of bills paid etc. Living at home with us, she had no bills! It took several attempts to get them to accept her as dependent, including sending bus stubs etc from her travelling!

It was a very worrying time and if I were you I would make sure your daughter remains a student until you have the visa - if there is any hint that she has been earning a living then they will not want to give her dependent status. I guess that you do not have to pay for the course until she starts it anyway? In which case, hopefully you will have received the visa anyway.

Good Luck

Catherine

Guest BAZnDAF

Donna,

I beleive the dependancy is only assessed at the time of application.

Baz.

Guest Tracey

agree wiv baz and daf. sure that is the case too. all the best

trace x

Thanks for your replies.

It is such a nerve racking time, that you panick about every little thing. Before this panic.....i had a different panic.....and before that one, there was another.

I think i need to take more wine............lol;)

Donna