How competitive a place in a good state school ?

Guest wijaya

Guest wijaya

Hi all

We've just come back from our reccie and first validation to Adelaide, and will move permanently in September.

We have two children, 10 and 13 with the oldest now in a grammar school in London. We have visited some school like Glenunga, Brighton, Aberfoyle, Hallet Cove, and being told that other goods school are Norwood, Unley, and Marryatville.

We would like our son to be in one of those school particularly Glenunga, Brighton, Norwood, Unley or Marryatville. Can anybody share any knowledge on how competitive is a place in any of the school ? I know about the zoning. Is it simply living inside a zone will entitle you to a place. We are thinking of renting for the first 1-2 years, but probably could not afford to buy in those places because of the price.

So how strict the school will apply the zoning, if for example after a year, we move outside the zone?

When you move to Adelaide, what is your first consideration: area or school ?

Regards

wijaya

So how strict the school will apply the zoning, if for example after a year, we move outside the zone?

Can't speak for the schools you have mentioned...but once you are in a school, am pretty sure they cant kick you out, because you move out of the zone.

My daughter is in high school over here, and they are very strict about you living in the zone for enrolment...but i know of kids who have since moved to different areas which are not in the zone, but are still at the school..

Hope this helps

zoning is used for admission purposes, once your child is in they are part of the current enrolled numbers, and you could move definitely after an initial period. This is why most schools with tight zoning require a rental agreement for at least a year within the zone to enrol your child. This is to stop the flow of people using fake or friends addresses to get their child into the school.

Guest wijaya

Hi there

Thanks for the answers. We don't mind living in the area of good schools and will try to do so. But with my employment for me and my wife still uncertain, we want to know every eventuality that could happen.

Regards

sw

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TraceyT

Hi,

I too am looking at the kids starting at Brighton High School, (16 & 13yrs). I have been told that unless you have a rental agreement for one year, you may have to sign a legal document to confirm you will stay in the zone, or you could lose your place. We have rented a place in Hove for 12 weeks to get a feel for the place.

Brighton looks fantastic and I have been told that they have some lessons on the beach. Which sounds a long way from where we are now in Blackburn. We land June 29th, when are you arriving?

Guest wijaya

Hi Tracey

I agree that Brighton looks good. The problem for us will be to find something affordable to rent in the area. We are arriving 4 September, and hopefully, kids will be in school for the last term from 10 October.

regards

• 2 weeks later...
Guest reddevil25

we have lived here a while and our eldest has finished at brighton now at uni

my second is in year 10

great school in all aspects

we live in hove so in the zone but depending on numbers of in zone kids then they offer to out of zone kids

also has special interest music and volleyball places

all the kids went to warradale primary school - and i can give it my recommendation

cheers

mike

Guest TraceyT
we have lived here a while and our eldest has finished at brighton now at uni

my second is in year 10

great school in all aspects

we live in hove so in the zone but depending on numbers of in zone kids then they offer to out of zone kids

also has special interest music and volleyball places

all the kids went to warradale primary school - and i can give it my recommendation

cheers

mike

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your comments. We have chosen to live in Hove or Brighton specifically for the high school. My eldest will be starting in yr 10 and my youngest in yr8 (if they get a place.) I haven't heard one bad word said about the school, so fingers crossed.