Guest Boomerang

Aussie Accent

Guest Boomerang

We have been in Adelaide here almost 4 years now and can notice a definate aussie accent when our kids talk.( crisps are now chips etc)

Chatting to rellies recently in the UK and they say mine and my wifes accents are still as Uk as ever.

Guest Stacey

Hi

We've been here coming up to three years and people in the UK say they notice an aussie twang in our accent although I'm not so sure.

I have certainly found that I have changed my words though because I now call trousers pants and Andy pronounces data as darta (very Australian). They got very confused in the UK though when I started talking about my inflatable thong (flip flop for those still in the UK) during the summer lol!!

xx

Guest Guest75

Our daughter has a full blown Aussie accent after 10 years here, I struggle understand her at times. (young Aussie girls chatter so quickly)

Mrs Tyke and I have kept our accents.

Guest Carolandcraig

weve only been here three months, whilst the wife and kids dont have the accent, they are starting to talk high pitched at the end of the sentences.

Six years for us nearly, and people on holiday in Fiji still asked us where in England we were from! Kids sound like proper aussies here, but after two weeks in our company on holiday, they were sounding English again!

I refuse to use the aussie pronounciation - at work recently we were involved with the Easy Data Project - all the aussies pronounced it "Easy Darta Pro-ject", whilst I insisted it was the "Easy Dayta Proj-ect"!!

We have been in Adelaide here almost 4 years now and can notice a definate aussie accent when our kids talk.( crisps are now chips etc)

Chatting to rellies recently in the UK and they say mine and my wifes accents are still as Uk as ever.

Do you mean accent or diction? A big difference.

Guest nishman

I have noticed that accents change subtly depending on who your talking to. At work with mainly ausies, a bit of the twang slips in. Talking to poms (especially those with a southern accent, I've noticed) the northern england accent is more predominant...

Maybe it's an unconcious attempt to "fit in" :D

I've also noted that you can be talking quite happily in your pommy accent and then come to one of your "new" aussie words (lolly, chips, parsta/parsty/darda) which has to pronounced like a true-blue would.

Guest Django
    weve only been here three months, whilst the wife and kids dont have the accent, they are starting to talk high pitched at the end of the sentences.

A. Q. I. or Australian Questioning Intonatation. It drives me mad.:arghh: I'm thinking was that a question or a statement??? :unsure:

We've only been here for just under 19 months and two of our children are well on the way. The twang is going and the full blown accent is arriving.

As for diction. I love winding the lads up at work. 'Its shed-ule not sked ule', 'do you watch car-tones or blow up bal-lones? No so why is that colour 'mar-rone' and not 'mar-roon'????' :biglaugh:

What is really weird is that when we were living in NZ, a lot of locals thought my OH was a brit or an aussie (he is a kiwi) but since moving over here all the aussies pick up he is a kiwi straight away. I was asked by a real estate agent if I was from 'out of state' when talking on the phone! That's a good description for a brit accent with a bit of kiwi thrown in!

Kiwi's are easy to spot - they say 'Fush and chups' instead of 'fish and chips', and 'beckpeck' instead of 'backpack'! Overheard one on holiday querying the whereabouts of her 'pickbick' and eventually worked out she meant her peg bag!!!!!! :biglaugh:

its funny hearing the aussies try and do a manchester accent, people still cant understand me at times on the phone, dont think i will lose it but people in uk pick up on a few autralianisms.

Alex (almost 4)has completely lost his uk accent and has now been renamed australian alex lol:biglaugh:

Guest Cope
    Kiwi's are easy to spot - they say 'Fush and chups' instead of 'fish and chips'

I read an anecdote about that: someone wrote on a wall in NZ 'New Zealand Sucks'. A clever New Zealander added 'Australia Nil'.

:D

its funny hearing the aussies try and do a manchester accent, people still cant understand me at times on the phone, dont think i will lose it but people in uk pick up on a few autralianisms.

Alex (almost 4)has completely lost his uk accent and has now been renamed australian alex lol:biglaugh:

No Clare, Aussies trying to do a Jamaican accent is better - "Noel's caravans, Noel's caravans"

Cooler

Guest Django
    No Clare, Aussies trying to do a Jamaican accent is better - "Noel's caravans, Noel's caravans"

Cooler

Ask an Aussie to do a Welsh accent if you want a real laugh. The result will be something you excpect to hear in a 'Bollywood' movie. :biglaugh:

Ask an Aussie to do a Welsh accent if you want a real laugh. The result will be something you excpect to hear in a 'Bollywood' movie. :biglaugh:

Not heard that yet, but that does sound like one to watch out for :)

Cooler

yes I agree our neighbours regularly try and copy the Welsh accent definately Bollywood themed quite bizzarre..!!!

Guest katsmajic

Our kids all sound like Aussies, big kids dont know/hang out with any english kids to be fair, our 12yr old still has quite an english twang - her friends say she sound posh...shes anything but posh, and little man is true blue oz.

I had to pick up alot of the terminology at work - eggplant/zuccini/capsicums/strainers etc as it makes life so much easier - they were all aussies, i had to fit in with them or get blank looks when i asked for a courgette....

Folks in uk say my accent has changed heaps but i get asked where in uk im from all the time in my new job.

I think we all pick up the terminology as its what we hear all the time, but the accents depend on what you started with - Geordie & Northern friends sound so northern to us and the southerners sound like they have an aussie twang.

My youngest 3 all have Aussie accents saying 'warder' (water) and 'pardy' (party)! My 9 year old however has kept his English accent only occasionally going up a level at the end of sentances, he's full of aussie words though, everything is 'awesome', or its 'oh my god'. Dont think my husband and myself have changed our accents at all but then we've never had strong accents anyway and when we were back in England people used to ask where in Australia we came from!

I used to be able to pick accents but now I find it hard I can pick out northern accents Gordie etc but southern ones just sound like Aussies to me I think its because people change the words they use to fit in like saying HEEPS there is no way people in the UK would have used that the way the Aussie's do.I had a delivery driver the other day who was Scottish and we were talking and he said its a great place here but the only thing that spoils it the Aussie's being here. My two kids talk with Aussie accents the oldest one can go back and forward between accents