Guest Squareman

Accommodation on arrival - what did you do?

Guest Squareman

In terms of accommodation when you arrived, what did YOU do?

- Arrive, book into a hotel for a week or so and then move into a rental (furnished or unfurnished)

- Arrive, book into a fully-furnished place and then buy/rent a house after a month or so?

Question is, how long does it usually take to find a rented place and for you to be able to move in? I don't want to book into a hotel and then have to pay for a month's accommodate because it takes ages to be able to move into a rental.

It will take 3 months for my container to arrive, so if we move into an unfurnished rental place, we are going to have to buy the basic necessities e.g. beds, cutlery etc

Any suggestions?

In terms of accommodation when you arrived, what did YOU do?

- Arrive, book into a hotel for a week or so and then move into a rental (furnished or unfurnished)

- Arrive, book into a fully-furnished place and then buy/rent a house after a month or so?

Question is, how long does it usually take to find a rented place and for you to be able to move in? I don't want to book into a hotel and then have to pay for a month's accommodate because it takes ages to be able to move into a rental.

It will take 3 months for my container to arrive, so if we move into an unfurnished rental place, we are going to have to buy the basic necessities e.g. beds, cutlery etc

Any suggestions?

We booked a holiday let for 2 weeks in Glenelg then got a furnished flat for 3 months just basic in glenelg by that time our stuff had arrived kept it in storage till we rented a house till we built a house took about 2 years all up

Guest PhilC

We booked into a short term holiday let (a fully furnished house) for about 7 weeks whilst we waited for our stuff to arrive in the container. We sorted out a longer term rental whilst we were in the short-term place, and had a bit of longish break whilst we sorted out the various bits and pieces you need to when you first arrive.

You could probably do it in a week, but I wouldn't recommend it, most people need a lot longer than that to find somewhere suitable to live.

cheers

Phil

Guest kangomik

To save money you need a rental early on, short term rentals are expensive. BUT. supply you with a hell of a lot less stress when you arrive jet lagged. Everything you need should be at hand.

Take time getting the right rental, its worth it in the end trust me.

We were lucky as knew the area and sorted an unfurnished 6 month let before moving. But our container only left the UK when we did so despite taking a holiday on the way three weeks via Dubai and Bangkok we knew we would need furniture.

So I rented some - easy did it from Uk and arranged for it to be delivered to rental 2 days after we arrived - stayed in a hotel 2 nights. Rented a home pack - everything we needed basically from sofa to teaspoons (although I did buy some bedding and bedroom furniture we would need anyway from Ikea). It was OK to be honest - I could have rented posher stuff but it was similar to the stuff you get in furnished rentals anyway and only for a few weeks.

Once our container was ready to deliver they collected the rental stuff the same day!

Worked out cheaper than a furnished let.

Hi....We have been allocated OAA. We know it will be basic, BUT it is reasonably price, furnished and allows the dog!!!

It also gives us up to 12 weeks to find a rental and our container will have arrived by then too!!!

Good luck. :)

We have friends who have stayed at a variety of places, caravan parks are not bad as you get all the amenities in one place.....

there are some really good ones dotted around Adelaide too...

HG

Guest Jersey Bean
    We were lucky as knew the area and sorted an unfurnished 6 month let before moving. But our container only left the UK when we did so despite taking a holiday on the way three weeks via Dubai and Bangkok we knew we would need furniture.

So I rented some - easy did it from Uk and arranged for it to be delivered to rental 2 days after we arrived - stayed in a hotel 2 nights. Rented a home pack - everything we needed basically from sofa to teaspoons (although I did buy some bedding and bedroom furniture we would need anyway from Ikea). It was OK to be honest - I could have rented posher stuff but it was similar to the stuff you get in furnished rentals anyway and only for a few weeks.

Once our container was ready to deliver they collected the rental stuff the same day!

Worked out cheaper than a furnished let.

That`s a good idea! which company did you use? I just googled furniture to rent in Adelaide there`s a few be great if you could recomend one

Thanks

Claire

Guest Jersey Bean
    We used these guys

Adelaide Furniture Rental & Electrical Appliances Hire Argus Furniture Rentals It was in 2006 though and we picked them because they would deal with us from the UK no problem and were very flexible.

There seem to be a few more companies now.

E-mail a few and see who bothers to respond!![/quote

Thanks

Better let them know we are in Dubai then.

Cheers Claire