Guest alexbrown

looking for work

Guest alexbrown

I am a former barrister's clerk been here since Jan 2010 currently a stay at homeDad, registered with agencies but not much happening. Have lots of managerial people and resource allocation skills would suit a project management role or recruitment can anyone help?

Guest nishman

Hi there. Have you approached any agencies? Talent2 springs to mind (again) for professional recruitment.

Guest alexbrown

Thanks yes have applied for a couple with them but seem to run into same problem overqualified or not what the employers required.

Alex,is it not possible for you to seek employment as a barristers clerk in Adelaide?

Have you contacted any relevant professional organisations they may me able to point you in the right direction of helpful contacts.Have you looked at state govt or council positions.?

Networking is so important in Adelaide.

Good luck.

Sue

Guest alexbrown

no don't have barrister's clerk here in the same way, have looked at Govt jobs but not much luck as yet, still applying. Thanks anyway.

I would have suggested the government job vacancies as well. Are you filling out your selection criteria properly?

Guest alexbrown

Suzer, as best i can yes still waiting on a couple of replies.

Do some research to make sure you have that aspect correct (if you haven't) as it make s a big difference. Good Luck.

Guest MikeBanks

Hi Alex

I'm a former solicitor - I'll be moving to Adelaide in October and I suspect that I'll have the same problems when it comes to finding a job. Don't want to go back to legal practice. A bit of a square peg faced with a lot of round holes when it comes to finding work. I am also starting to look at Government jobs - if you come across any agencies that fit the bill please let me know. Good luck

Mike

Guest alexbrown

Hi yes it is a bit tricky however you should have better success than I. The best agency I have found is Julia Ross their website is www.rossjuliaross.com and the contacts I have found the best are Lennica Watkins (lennica.watkins@juliaross.com) and Ashleigh Allon (ashleigh.allon@juliaross.com). They have found me a job today infact that I originally applied for direct two months ago! They are very switched on and appreciate our predicament. Good luck mention I recommened them might help!

Guest MikeBanks

Hi Alex

thanks for that - nice to hear that you've landed a job - encouraging too. Are you back in the law?

I'll contact Julia Ross and mention that you recommended them

regards

Mike

Guest alexbrown

Mike, no problem. No not back in the law but temping in customer relations for the largest building company here called Hickinbothams. Not too different from fielding calls irate from solicitors in chambers!!

Good luck I'm sure they will be able to help.

Guest MikeBanks

Hi Alex - irate solicitors? - I can hardly believe it! You must have been in commercial chambers. Seriously though, they do tend to be a pretty irate bunch as a rule, and that's being polite - and people ask me why I got out of the law!