10 years here

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

It's 10 years today since we arrived permanently in Adelaide :)

This is the last update as I've not really much to report ,probably as we are so settled and this place is home.

I do feel that the UK has passed us by now,we have had several visits back.Mrs Tyke goes back annually to see family. I don't have much family and just feel it is expensive and a long way now.I'd rather be discovering new places here in Oz and surrounds!

We don't have many regrets just "learning experiences" :biglaugh:

We never came here to make a fortune and we haven't ,just managed to make a living and preserve what we had from the UK.

We did give up a very good business to move here but it was monotonous with no quality of life.

Here we have far less money coming in but a much richer quality of life.

We feel so lucky to have been able to do this.

We've had some amazing experiences,some free,some scenic and some on the ocean ( most of you know our boating hobby ;))

Today I've been out harvesting the olive grove in lovely sunshine with an Aussie mate.

A tiring and not very profitable exercise but satisfying.

The economics have changed over the years and I realise it is a lot harder to get here now.

Still people have the Oz dream and need to sate the infatuation.

Not just from the UK either, we have guests in our rentals from the States / Russia and Belgium.

It seems to be an international dream.

Our sincerest best wishes to all of you on the road here, for a lot it is very worth it.

Do lots of research and give it time,South Australia reveals her charms slowly:)

To all those making the move or thinking about it have a look at the thread link below,it is full of interesting and heartening tales................

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/16040-all-who-have-settled-here.html

Guest Guest75
Thank you Tyke;

you are inspirational !!

Having just come up to the 18 month mark, 20th May in fact, i enjoy reading how the "veterans" managed to keep a focus on the good side of such a monumental move!!!!

I hope i say the same if i make the 10 years in mark.

Inspirational??

Eccentric more like ( or a lot of words the Aussies use on me that I can't mention here:biglaugh::biglaugh:)

Guest KP Nuts
Thank you Tyke;

you are inspirational !!

Having just come up to the 18 month mark, 20th May in fact, i enjoy reading how the "veterans" managed to keep a focus on the good side of such a monumental move!!!!

I hope i say the same if i make the 10 years in mark.

Excuse me, and why won't you make the 10 year mark???

Congratulations Tyke and Mrs Tyke always love reading your posts.

Guest Guest75
Good effort mate.....We gotta get out on Das Boot sometime!!!!!

HG

I'm sure she is drying out through lack of use - the fab weather we have had for it as well.

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Congrats Tyke and family, your posts inspire many and are straight, thanks for your help and advice, heres looking to the next ten years

Excuse me, and why won't you make the 10 year mark???

Congratulations Tyke and Mrs Tyke always love reading your posts.

No reason Kimbo.................it just seems like a long time to go; BTW

Happy 18 months to you, yours...................and when do you move?????

X

Jane

• 4 weeks later...

Been browsing older posts and loved this one as well as many of your other responses. Always truthful, helpful and a well balanced viewpoint. We've been to Adelaide 5 times so far and are booked for another visit next January. Hopefully the year after will be the one-way trip.

I feel I know the city and surrounds quite well and have researched and earmarked a few districts where we would love to settle. We know we'll never be rich (we're poorish pensioners now!) but South Australia has so much to offer if you are prepared for a more simple life. It may be down to 2 degrees this winter but after -10 here and 15" of snow, that's nothing. As for all that lovely sunshine ............ I can't wait.

Hope Mrs Tyke enjoys her trip to Blighty too.