Sponsors

Guest Chez&John

Guest Chez&John

Hi there,

I have a relative living in Sidney - he is happy to sponsor us but wondered if there were any costs involved. Has any one had experience with this - would welcome your comments. Would this help our visa application?

Take care :D

Chez and John

:wubclub: Hi, we also looking into this as have family there, my cousin advised that it would cost them about $5000.00 ASD for sponsorship which would cover us for 2 years, that is for 2 children and 2 adults. hope helps good luck.

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

Not sure if this is right but I was under the impression that the sponsor had to be

a closer relative than a cousin?

I thought it had to be mother, father, brother or sister? living in Oz or am I mis-informed?

Hi there,

We are getting sponsored by my cousin, who is liable to pay a bond for a family of 4, but you get this back after a qualifying period. I just set up an account over there and registered my cousins name on it so that when the time comes, she can go and lift the money and pay it, just so that she had no financial outlay.

Family can sponsor you as long as they are a direct link, we were initally looking to get my dad's cousin to sponsor us but because they weren't a full blood relative we had to go down the other route.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

We are getting sponsored by my cousin, who is liable to pay a bond for a family of 4, but you get this back after a qualifying period. I just set up an account over there and registered my cousins name on it so that when the time comes, she can go and lift the money and pay it, just so that she had no financial outlay.

Family can sponsor you as long as they are a direct link, we were initally looking to get my dad's cousin to sponsor us but because they weren't a full blood relative we had to go down the other route.

Hope this helps.

hi, cheers for that, can you maybe answer a question for me, we are still looking into the sponsorship thing, my cousin is not working and thinks because of this she will not be able to sponsor us, do you know if this is correct or not, as if that is the case she says it will have to be her husband but he obviously is not my cousin??

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all! Just a quick note to say you are talking about two different things. Sponsors don't pay anything. Anyone applying prior to 1st Sept had to provide an AOS (Assurance of Support) along with proving sponsorhip. That person or persons (could be up to three) had to meet certain income requirements (proven by centrelink in Australia per last 3 years of tax records) based upon number in his family and number in your family. Many people used their sponsors as AOS but in our case (sponsor is aging aunt on pension) we were going to have to find a friend. One of the great things about the new guidelines is that the AOS is being abolished for anyone who applied after 1st sept. and even better for us - it is being abolished for those of us who applied prior to sept 1st if our application is not processed before 1st January 2008. With current processing delays that should be the case. If this is unclear (I'm tired....) google AOS and sponsorship rules. Hope this helps!!!

Liz