Guest Andrew Family

Confused about schools

Guest Andrew Family

I emailed a couple of schools in Adelaide to enquire about spaces and when I originally emailed them we were considering an investment visa, which is now longer the case due to the cost, any back on track....one of the replies I received said:

Unfortunately we will be unable to help you with your enrolment at this stage as our school is not registered to take Primary Overseas Students. We will however be able to help you with Millie’s enrolment once you gain Citizenship.

The visa you will need to enrol your children while here in Australia is a “Subclass 571 Visa”. I’m not sure that an Investment Visa will allow you to enrol your children while here in Australia. The Australian Consulate in the UK should be able to help you further.

The visa we are now hoping to come on is a 457 (I think) but perhaps I was nieve but I thought I could enrol into any private or public primary school if there were places. Was the reply due to the mention on an investment visa and if I had mentioned another visa then the response may have been different??

I am just a little confused as we are going to be living in the Para Hills Resoviour area (hopefuly) and I would like to know if anyone knows of any good primary schools around this area?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dawn

Dawn

I don't the area at all but it might be easier just to wait until you get here before enrolling your daughter into school. You will need a few weeks to settle in and until you know where your rental is then it will be difficult to say which schoool she will go to.

Most schools don't have a catchement area however some are now introduciing them.

At least hold of until you have your visa then you can you start to plan your arrival date etc then contact schools.

I hope this helps but I am sure people with older children in the area can be more specific, mine too young for school at the moment.

Good luck

Michelle

Guest The Morleys

Hi Dawn

We are here on a 457 visa and got our daughter in to school when we got here as it gives you the chance to look around a few. We had no issues and could have put her in any school that we liked, especially the primary ones as from what I am aware they can not refuse a child. Please be aware that it is a totally different education system here, our daughter was in a public school in the UK and was individually assesed and pushed, now she is in a school where she gets no homework, there is no after schools clubs and she is not getting pushed at all, yes they do try to build their confidence but I know she is getting it too easy so we are having another look. Due to a move it is her second school and the last one was exactly the sameas well. I have read many posts on here and I know many Brits are worried about the education here.

Guest salisbury massive

You have a maximum of 3 months to enrol at a school after you arrive. I'm a bit confused on where you say you will be living, Para Hills is a suburb but it doesn't have a reserviour near by unless you mean Reserviour Road.

So I'll go with Para Hills and give you an idea of whats about. Here is your local Primary School .: Para Hills Schools :. its not fantastic and there a certainly better schools available. East Para is also in Para Hills and a much better option though don't be put off by the very beautiful 1960's style pebble dashing on the outside,

East Para Primary School - There is also a school dentist on site there which cost $38 to visit the dentist, first visit free. Some people who live in the Para Hills area use schools in the Wynn Vale suburb which is sort of next to it. Have a look at Keithcot Farm Home and Gulfview Heights, a chaming and small school with excellent adult to child ratio, Gulfview Heights Primary School Home

With regard to your visa, an investment visa is probably seen as a non permanent visa because of the restrictions placed on it, usually you have to earn a certain amount of money through a business to stay so they would class you as an international student with all the associated costs. However, I would wait until you are visiting the schools and ask them what they think. Usually, if the school has a place to be filled, you generally get it, even if you are out of catchment. Its a different ball game when you move to High School though.

hope that helps a bit

Jo