Oaa cancelled 01/07/10

Guest calamitycaz

Guest calamitycaz

Hi all, I applied early for my On Arrival Accomodation (arrive Dec) hoping to secure a place as money will be tight, but today have received the following email -

Dear Applicant

On Arrival Public Accommodation

For sometime Immigration SA has facilitated the On Arrival Public Accommodation Service in conjunction with Housing SA. Immigration SA prides itself on the support and assistance this Service has provided to new migrants over the years. Because of this, Immigration SA is proud to announce a new On Arrival Accommodation Service which will be launched and rolled out over the coming months.

Immigration SA is now in the process of implementing a Preferred Private Housing Panel which will consist of a number of professional and reputable private housing suppliers who will be appointed to assist and place new migrants such as yourself in private housing. The Panel of suppliers, having a knowledge of the obstacles facing new migrants in obtaining housing, will be able to assist and cater for your specific housing needs in South Australia. For more details of this new service, we suggest that you continue to monitor Immigration SA's website in the coming weeks.

We regret to advise you that On Arrival Public Accommodation Service is no longer available for newly arriving migrants. The termination of this Service is effective as of 1 July 2010 and accordingly we advise that we will not be able to provide you public accommodation for your arrival.

For the time being, Immigration SA understands that it is difficult for new migrants, finding private accommodation from overseas. Therefore many new migrants stay at short term private accommodation such as hotel, and hostel for short while and organise for their long term accommodation. We have attached the Short Term Accommodation Options Fact Sheet to assist you to source short term accommodation for your arrival. This Fact Sheet details the range and cost of accommodation available in Adelaide. You can book accommodation direct and the following links may be of assistance to you:

(then there is a list of temporary accommodation)

:arghh: Just when I'm trying to get my head around everything it's all changing! Now to me I think the above email reads as if they are trying to sort out suitable rentals for migrants before they arrive, but to be honest I'm not sure what it really means?! Any help with translating the jargon, or even better any suggestions for temporary accomodation which wont bankrupt me would be appreciated :confused:

Many thanks

Caz x

Guest calamitycaz

Have just booked a week at the Baybeachfront appts, 3 beds, approx £620 for the week.

Not what I'd planned but I guess the key to all this is trying to stay flexible and optimistic!! Lol x

Guest Damien

Try Tamara (Homes Down Under). She is on PIA. We stayed in one of her properties, 2 bed, $500pw all in, no bills at all, free calls to UK etc. The place was great as a base and the kids had a bunk bed which they loved! Suthern suburbs very close to beach (ok no sunbathing in Jly but still good for a walk)

Damo

We also found out today that were not getting it for June :nah:

so the search contines!:sad:

Check out some of the campsites..............Moana, Chrities Beach, West Lakes...to name but a few....

these do chalets and cabins and are reasonably proces could tide you over til you find somwthing more suitable long term...

HG

Guest calamitycaz
have you tried roorentals!! we stayed at theirs in hallett cove when we arrived, everything you need and spotless.

Helen

Thanks for the tip!! :notworthy:

Have now provisionally booked 4 weeks in Morphett Vale, which will allow us to find a rental at a less frenzied pace, as well as enjoying Christmas in a semi-permanent base :)

Still pricey but nowhere near as much as the first holiday apartment, and it looks much nicer and way more comfortable/clean/homely etc.

Thanks again Caz :wubclub:

Guest Guest75
@Tyke, the Meet and Greet is still active. What I understand from the email is that you have to reapply for it though.

Good to hear,they are lovely people and get a lot out of it :):notworthy:

Guest clare
I see they need to update their web site.No mention of the shut-down yet.

Make The Move :: On Arrival Public Accommodation

I wonder if they will still operate the Meet & Greet Service??

There are some lovely volunteers involved,they love doing it.

Many happy meetings with Dennis & Rene.:notworthy:

Yea they still doing meet and greet at the airport we been offered it but if its still ok with you we would rather meet you ????? :)

Guest calamitycaz
Hi

If you are looking for places to stay down south then try.

Beach woods Eco Tourist Park - Caravan and Camping Sites

We stayed there for 3 months when we first came over .They have lots of different accommodations to offer .Also Neil and Linda the owners are Poms as well and are very helpful .

Looks lovely Dean, but may be a little too out of the way to start with,

Thanks

Caz

Guest Guest75
Yea they still doing meet and greet at the airport we been offered it but if its still ok with you we would rather meet you ????? :)

No worries,I can do that :)