giving up smoking?

sue2oz

hi guys i really want to quit smoking and have booked to see the doctor this week. I was just wondering do they have groups like fag ends etc here in australia and are the patches, tablets etc expensive here?

thanks sue xxx

Myself and my husband went to the doctors about 18 months ago to stop smoking. He was able to prescribe Champix (tablets) to us just on normal prescription. He had to make a call to somewhere in Canberra to obtain authorisation which I think is just routine. Just paid the normal $30 prescription charge and we both managed to stop for 9 months relatively easily. We both started again unforunately but that was down to us and not the tablets. The tablets helped us to stop, we just didn't have the will power to keep it up when the stress levels were up.

Myself and my husband went to the doctors about 18 months ago to stop smoking. He was able to prescribe Champix (tablets) to us just on normal prescription. He had to make a call to somewhere in Canberra to obtain authorisation which I think is just routine. Just paid the normal $30 prescription charge and we both managed to stop for 9 months relatively easily. We both started again unforunately but that was down to us and not the tablets. The tablets helped us to stop, we just didn't have the will power to keep it up when the stress levels were up.

We both have quit now for almost 2 months...did it with Champix as well....but stopped the tabs before the end of the course, made us feel unwell.

Yeah it is covered on the PBS...think we paid $33.50..

Guest Carolandcraig

Wishing you the best of luck to quit, i quit 7 years ago but still get the odd cravin but there only there for a few seconds before its gone again.

Guest rizzo

Hello we gave up over 2 years ago using champix and a lot of will power we tried zyban originaly but the list of side affects was massive,

Goodluck

Guest smit
We both have quit now for almost 2 months...did it with Champix as well....but stopped the tabs before the end of the course, made us feel unwell.

Yeah it is covered on the PBS...think we paid $33.50..

go for it Lorraine...........keep it up.

Heyya Sue,

good to hear youre giving up those vile worthless killing sticks.

I thought that I really enjoyed smoking.

Im hoping this may be of some use to you , good luck.

I really didnt want to stop, but after watching my little girls playing shopping, they picked up twigs and started to immitate me smoking, I knew then what a terrible role model I was.

So I bought Alan Carr's book and read it then when I finished the book I bought the chewwing gums about 22 bucks for 96.

The first few days were tough but i'll never look back, i have a smoke ommiter on my facebook which reminds me how much money i have saved, and how many ciggs i have not smoked.

The outcome of it all is that I no longer feel a bad role model and I dont feel so embarressed when i smoke as none of my friends smoke and I now breath better air.

Hope this helps, good luck, it really isnt difficult after the first few days, give it a whirl, I never miss it now, not even in a stressful situation, Laura xxxx

Zyban , has been linked to problems with Heart attacks and may not be the best option. Champix is the new Zyban.

I stopped with patches, its hard but beats dying!!!!

Set a date and dont get pushed into it... You need to have the will,desire and strength to stop, not just pressure from others..

Guest lastboyscout

Hi Sue,

I quit when we were in the UK for 9 months after acupuncture and chinese herbal tea, then unfortunately went back on them. Now I`ve been off them for over 6 months , just willpower and nicotine gum.:jiggy:

Got addicted to the nicotine gum for a while but weaned myself off them with normal gum, get the odd craving now and again but it passes, good luck and hope you do it :D

Guest coolio

Hi Sue

Good Gal, great decision. I smoked 20+ a day for 15 years and was a happy smoker. Came home from work one nightshift and OH (non-smoker, who'd NEVER moaned about my smoking after 15 years married!) had written on my fag packet "don't smoke, smoking kills, I don't want to lose you".

I booked an appt wiv smoking cessation nurse next day.Had to wait 2 weeks for the appointment and IT WAS THE WORST 2 WEEKS OF MY LIFE. I was a bitch, a wreck and not looking forward to it.

However, when it came to it, I was surprised how well I did. I sucked the little tabs only when I was desperate for a fag and within 2 weeks was on just 4 tabs a day.

If you get the unflavoured ones, you can even keep keep one in the side of your cheek while you enjoy a glass or several of wine.

I quit in 4 weeks and suprised myself. The patches give you a constant dose of nicotine wether you need it or not and i'm glad i avoided them. I've not smoked for 5 years

You can and will do it. Its effing hard to make the decision, but once you decide its time, you'll do just fine

Be strong and determined

K xxxxx

Good Luck,

My OH managed to quit after a lung spot was found on his medical xray! He has found it really hard and I never thought for one minute he'd be able to quit, and its not because I didn't have faith in him, he just loved his fags. But He has now been smoke free for a year this month.. Honestly, if he can do it, anyone can. He used patches and then gum, but if you've got the will power, you will do it.

Well done.

I gave up 18 years ago this month. After many years smoking and many half hearted attempts to stop, I made the decision on impulse when about to buy a pack at a petrol station. I'd just had a weekend of heavy drinking and smoking, I felt terrible, I was skint, my duty frees had run out, I didn't have a job and I thought I don't want to waste any more money. So I didn't buy the pack and haven't bought one since.

To be honest I think it's all in your head, and I tend to think gum or patches or whatever just drag it out. Not to say other people won't benefit from them, but you've got to be 100% committed.

Once I'd made up my mind to really give up it was surprisingly easy and I just wished I'd done it earlier. Life is so much better as a non-smoker - it really is worth it. Good luck!

A friend of mine in the UK who smoked and was overweight and had high blood pressure and didn't do any exercise dropped down dead at the weekend from a blood clot and subsequent heart attack at the age of 50. Your health is the most important thing you've got.

• 10 months later...
Guest Adelaide_bound

Have you tried the book by Allan Carr 'Stop smoking' or something - I was incredibly sceptical, but both myself and my husband gave up a few years back using it - you just read it whilst you continue to smoke as much as you want, then just stop when you finish the book. Neither of us have ever smoked a cigarette since (we did both have a serious cigar at my brothers wedding as they were a part of the weekend, but oddly didn't like it so only smoked a few puffs and didn't have nor want any more, and nothing before/since).

Its a cheap way to quit (only a tenner or something from amazon), but even if it doesn't help you (I know others who have also used it with success, most of them didn't think it would either), its not a lot to loose really imho.

Good luck :)