Guest Fancy a Beer

Help with Carpet Fitter Wages/Jobs

Guest Fancy a Beer

Just wondered if anyone out there can tell me the going rate for an experienced Carpet Fitter here in Adelaide!

And if anyone knows of any jobs going from November time please PM me!

Hello,I am a carpet and floor layer,been in Adelaide since June last year. I am on an employer nominated sponsorship so unlucky for me I have to work for wages intil June next year in order to honour my visa commitments.

I do however know the average rates are $18- $20 dollars per linear metre ( 5-5.50 per square metre

$24 lin metre for vinyl

5 per linear metre for uplifts

20 per square metre laminate flooring

most contract jobs are priced at dayrate around 4- 500 dolars a day per person.

Everyone pays you into your bank account,usualy within a week of invoice,unfortunately there is very little cash work available,and certainly not like there is in the uk.

If you are going to be sub contracting,you will need first of all a tax file number , and also an Australian business number (abn) you need to make sure you apply for these as soon as you arrive,as they can take a couple of weeks to come through, and you cant start work without them.

Just bear in mind though that even though you will not do many hsl's ( I have done 2 in a year) ,,,all the carpet here is still only 3.66 metres wide and there is no 2 and 3 metre vinyl,,,alll 4 metre!

They dont have twin naplocks,single naplocks cover strips z sections or spray adhesiv.

Lots of seams to do and it does take a lot of getting used to. your average job is usualy either a full house ( lounge ,hall 3 beds) or say a loung and hall, or all the beds,you very rarely get just one room to do,,, also you get a lot of full houses in vinyl.

Most floors are concrete but they are nearly always in pristine condition, you dont get the bits and pieces floors like you do in the Uk , you know the ones bit of wood bit of concrete bit of asphalt.

As far as i know there is plenty of work about,i have approached 3 firms in anticipation of next June and they have all offered me work.

Anyway hope this is of some help to you,if you need to know anything else just shout up.

cheers

martin

Guest kerfumph

most contract jobs are priced at dayrate around 4- 500 dolars a day per person.

:shocked: A carpet fitter on 130k? I doubt it.

:shocked: A carpet fitter on 130k? I doubt it.

why do you doubt it? earnings are good if you have the skill and work hard,,,in fact that is probably less than i earned in the uk!

Guest ReadyPenny

Yep, as Trafford says earning in excess of $100 k is easy if you put the hours in!!!! Hubby is a self-employed carpet layer, so I know this from personal experience!!