Sour grapes?

Diane

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DanandJanna

Most countries, including those that make up the UK and Ireland, like to see England getting humped by anyone in any sport and if they can beat us themselves, even better. As an England fan of football, rugby and cricket I've always found this quite a good postion to be in, much better to have a bit of competition than indifference, sorry Faroe Islanders. As for Scotland, having lived in Dumfries, on the west coast and Aberdeen for seven years I can say that most Scots just have that natural dislike for all things English bred into them. Not all Scots by any stretch but certainly the majority in my opinion and in a lot of cases this dislike is more of a hatred which is responsible for some pretty unsavory opinions. Some of the most bigotted, racist people I have met reside in Scotland, however to them they are just 'proud'. Ask them why they dislike the English so much and you'll get rants about stolen land, religion, broken promises and other jumbled half truths, as they don't really know where it comes from its just what they think. Personally I'll support any of the home nation teams unless they are actually playing England and even then as long as its a good match I'm happy. The country is so small and with such a tangled history its hard to be parochial, not many people know where their ancestors came from before 200 years ago so the chances are by rights you should be supporting someone else alltogether. A lot of Scots wouldn't know what to do if they weren't in the the downtroden, hard done by position they feel they are in. Call it stupidity, small country syndrome or boredom but either way its not likely to change no matter how many polls are carried out.

Some of the most bigotted, racist people I have met reside in Scotland, however to them they are just 'proud'. Ask them why they dislike the English so much and you'll get rants about stolen land, religion, broken promises and other jumbled half truths, as they don't really know where it comes from its just what they think.

A lot of Scots wouldn't know what to do if they weren't in the the downtroden, hard done by position they feel they are in. Call it stupidity, small country syndrome or boredom but either way its not likely to change no matter how many polls are carried out.

This thread started out about Scotland not supporting England during the World Cup and has turned into a political statement where England should be independant and most Scots are bigots & racists with small country syndrome.

What has this got to do with 24% of Scotland fans in a newspaper poll not wanting to support England in the World Cup.

Guest Nick11
Most countries, including those that make up the UK and Ireland, like to see England getting humped by anyone in any sport and if they can beat us themselves, even better. As an England fan of football, rugby and cricket I've always found this quite a good postion to be in, much better to have a bit of competition than indifference, sorry Faroe Islanders. As for Scotland, having lived in Dumfries, on the west coast and Aberdeen for seven years I can say that most Scots just have that natural dislike for all things English bred into them. Not all Scots by any stretch but certainly the majority in my opinion and in a lot of cases this dislike is more of a hatred which is responsible for some pretty unsavory opinions. Some of the most bigotted, racist people I have met reside in Scotland, however to them they are just 'proud'. Ask them why they dislike the English so much and you'll get rants about stolen land, religion, broken promises and other jumbled half truths, as they don't really know where it comes from its just what they think. Personally I'll support any of the home nation teams unless they are actually playing England and even then as long as its a good match I'm happy. The country is so small and with such a tangled history its hard to be parochial, not many people know where their ancestors came from before 200 years ago so the chances are by rights you should be supporting someone else alltogether. A lot of Scots wouldn't know what to do if they weren't in the the downtroden, hard done by position they feel they are in. Call it stupidity, small country syndrome or boredom but either way its not likely to change no matter how many polls are carried out.

Bravo..well said.

Guest DanandJanna

This thread started out about Scotland not supporting England during the World Cup and has turned into a political statement where England should be independant and most Scots are bigots & racists with small country syndrome.

What has this got to do with 24% of Scotland fans in a newspaper poll not wanting to support England in the World Cup.

I'm not sure how you interpret my post as a political statement, it was just my opinion on why some Scots won't support England which as you point out, is the gist of the thread.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Being Cornish not english im backing the Soccaroo's not England.

I think though its very stupid about english fans not being able to fly there flag in england but then again the UK goverment tried ban and stop the Cornish people flying our own flag apart from special ocassions, never happend though.

But does it realy matter who you support as long as you enjoy the game !!!!!!.

Guest kas17

As a new Scottish member of the forum, Im feeling very welcomed joining now. Thought I was joining a forum regarding migration issues. Thought we would be leaving all this behind in the UK

Karen

Being Cornish not english im backing the Soccaroo's not England.

I think though its very stupid about english fans not being able to fly there flag in england but then again the UK goverment tried ban and stop the Cornish people flying our own flag apart from special ocassions, never happend though.

But does it realy matter who you support as long as you enjoy the game !!!!!!.

Yew can tell weam Kernow by us Scouse accents:)

Guest allie

am i missing something? only 24% dont want them to win....everyone else polled either wants England to win or doesnt really care - how is this surprising??? Not to state the obvious but people support countries that they have some sort of connection with on a personal level! It would be interesting to see polls from the other uk countries to see how they would support other teams if the position was changed.

Im scottish with absolutely no interest in the world cup so i would fall into the 34% who dont care one way or another. Technically that means that Im not supporting england, but only in as far as I am not supporting anyone! It certainly isnt because of anti-english sentiments!

24% of people being negative about the result of a few games of football does not make a country bigoted, racist or any of the many other insults that have been bandied about during this thread. It was a tad ironic that scotland being accused of being anti-english resulted in a whole lot of anti-scottish sentiment!

Come on guys - it's only a game!

P.S This isn't the type of thread that I would normally post on but i was pretty horrified to see that some people who have just joined the forum are now feeling unwelcome. For the record, there are lots of lovely, helpful people on here and everyone that we know through this forum are not anti-anyone and are lovely people! So dont be put off by some football thread!

Well to bring it back to local issues, well done the Kiwis on a magnificent equaliser right in the dying minutes the other night. Not the most exciting football, but fantastic for them to get their first ever world cup goal and world cup points. Vale.:notworthy:

Guest DanandJanna

Allie not sure if you are referring to my post when you mention anti scottish sentiment in this thread but if you are I'd like to point out that I don't fall into that bracket. My mother is scottish as are half of my family, my future wife and many friends so I wouldn't get very far if I had a problem with Scots.

It would be interesting to see polls from other uk countries to see how things would be if the position changed but this thread deals with the 24% of Scots polled and so naturally the discussion revolves around Scots and their attitude to England.

I lived and studied then worked in Scotland because I like it and still do, this time last year I was camping on Skye and very nice it was to. This doesn't change the fact that while I lived there I came across a lot of racism and bigotry, more so than any other country I've lived in with the exception of Oz when it comes to racism, that's not anti scottish (or Australian), that's fact.

My experience being English and living in Scotland will be very different to being Scottish and living in Scotland, that's why I thought I could contribute to this thread.

As far as people feeling unwelcome when reading this thread I don't understand why you would unless you were a racist or a bigot. I would suggest anyone who is easily offended should stop reading if they come across a thread they don't like and choose another, there are hundreds on this site. And yes there are lots of lovely helpful people on here but be warned, they may have an opinion that you don't agree with.

Allie not sure if you are referring to my post when you mention anti scottish sentiment in this thread but if you are I'd like to point out that I don't fall into that bracket. My mother is scottish as are half of my family, my future wife and many friends so I wouldn't get very far if I had a problem with Scots.

It would be interesting to see polls from other uk countries to see how things would be if the position changed but this thread deals with the 24% of Scots polled and so naturally the discussion revolves around Scots and their attitude to England.

I lived and studied then worked in Scotland because I like it and still do, this time last year I was camping on Skye and very nice it was to. This doesn't change the fact that while I lived there I came across a lot of racism and bigotry, more so than any other country I've lived in with the exception of Oz when it comes to racism, that's not anti scottish (or Australian), that's fact.

My experience being English and living in Scotland will be very different to being Scottish and living in Scotland, that's why I thought I could contribute to this thread.

As far as people feeling unwelcome when reading this thread I don't understand why you would unless you were a racist or a bigot. I would suggest anyone who is easily offended should stop reading if they come across a thread they don't like and choose another, there are hundreds on this site. And yes there are lots of lovely helpful people on here but be warned, they may have an opinion that you don't agree with.

The poll that is involved in this discussion is about 24% of Scots not supporting England in the World Cup it is not about 24% of Scots disliking the English there is a major difference in the two.

With regards to people being easily offended , when your country is being called racist and bigoted ( I know only in your opinion) then you are always going to have people who will take offence to that.

LOL You're probably right there SA-G, I must admit I'd find it hard to support a French team, and I guess historically the French came into Britain (England anyway) and stomped on the locals pretty thoroughly! And don't talk to me about those Italians (Romans) or Danes (bloomin' Vikings!)

If Scotland (or Wales, or Ireland - who should be there instead of the French!) were in, and not England though, I'd be backing them over those other Johnny Foreigners all the way :wubclub:

Bet the Spanish team are getting an Inquisition by their home press for the result against Switzerland though - probably not something they're used to as no-one expects a Spanish inquisition....

Guest DanandJanna
The poll that is involved in this discussion is about 24% of Scots not supporting England in the World Cup it is not about 24% of Scots disliking the English there is a major difference in the two.

With regards to people being easily offended , when your country is being called racist and bigoted ( I know only in your opinion) then you are always going to have people who will take offence to that.

Just to clarify (again) I didn't call your country racist and bigoted, to label a whole nation would be as pointless as putting words in someones mouth.

Some might say the ease with which some Scots on this thread take offence is an example of the 'chip' and 'syndrome' alluded to in previous posts.

Was quite shocked last night to find myself supporting Germany just coz Heaps Good is German and I hate to see nice people upset! Mind you, the fact that a German win would have been good news for the Socceroos' chances might have been an influence too! Ah well, c'est la vie.....

The Scots have always had a chip on their shoulder though. The same with Canada with US and NZ with Australia. They love to hate their big brother

Was going to say something here, but know what, it aint worth it. People post to get a rise on this issue. If you support your team, good for you, what does it matter if i dont. And who are England fans going to support in the next round after the group stages?

And for the record, I am not anti-English, and a lot of my friends here (including the ones i would class as close) are English. It's the arrogant English media thats puts most of the other home nations off supporting the English. For god's sake it been 44 years and the media still try to ram it down our throats every 4 years.

Just to clarify (again) I didn't call your country racist and bigoted, to label a whole nation would be as pointless as putting words in someones mouth.

Some might say the ease with which some Scots on this thread take offence is an example of the 'chip' and 'syndrome' alluded to in previous posts.

No you claimed that a lot of people (in your opinion) that live in Scotland are racist and bigoted and that some people from Scotland on this forum may suffer from small country syndrome.

I wonder why some people from Scotland reading this might take offence to that.

I dont think there is any point in carrying this on as I said before the poll was about Scotland not supporting England in the World Cup and not about how Scotland feels about England as a nation.

At the end of the day this forum is about people helping each other in either getting to Australia or settling when they arrive and I dont think reading these type of threads helps anybody.

Guest SA Great
Was going to say something here, but know what, it aint worth it. People post to get a rise on this issue. If you support your team, good for you, what does it matter if i dont. And who are England fans going to support in the next round after the group stages?

You are dead right Shaun, I did post it to get a reaction!!