Cannons

Are you allowed?

Hi Everyone,

In rentals are you generally allowed to hang pictures and mirrors? and what about putting up your own blinds and curtains and changing light fittings?

Thanks

Jo xx

Guest Tina P
    Hi Everyone,

In rentals are you generally allowed to hang pictures and mirrors? and what about putting up your own blinds and curtains and changing light fittings?

Thanks

Jo xx

Hi Jo,

No you are not allowed to hang pics or mirrors in rentals, well you can not make new holes in the walls, if already hooks there, then yes hang them on those.

Blinds would need holes drilling in the wall, you could ask but probably would have to leave the blinds when you leave. Not all rentals have curtain poles either, just blinds so again you would have to ask and then if allowed, leave them.

I wouldn't change a wired in light fitting but the shade would be ok.

We have had 2 rentals and both had curtains or blinds.

The most important thing I would check in a rental, is heating if you are coming over this winter, our 1st rental just had this very old small gas fire and in an open plan home wasn't very warn.

Tina

Hi Jo,

Our rental was a brand new house so we were very wary. Our landlord said if we wanted to hang things on the walls we could use 3M picture hangers which come in all sorts of sizes and shapes depending on what you hang. When you leave, you just pull them off as per the instructions and they leave no marks. We used lots and it made our rental more homely.

We had cheap nasty curtains at the windows which barely fit so we bought our own to use. When we left we just put the old ones back up.

Hope this helps.

I could not believe the inspection list that we received, things like how many nails in each wall, how many pot plant tubs were outside. The condition of the grass. Even the shabby door mat was listed.

The list was some 20 pages long. I did make a point to go though it and even made notes myself.

Given the list we decided not to make any new holes to the walls, and just use what was there.

We were even told that if the toilets were not cleaned at the end of tenancy we would be liable for new ones!!!