Diane

Ready made supermarket sandwiches

Called in at Coles St Agnes earlier, and they had a fridgeful of unsold ready-made sandwiches, all reduced. Set me wondering as to why supermarket ready-made sandwiches haven't taken off here like they have in the UK. Don't know if it's changed since I was there, but Tesco's used to have loads of sandwiches, wraps, and filled rolls for sale, but if you went there after 1pm everything had sold out! I still really miss Tesco's Chicken Caesar wraps!

Hardly any of the supermarkets do ready-made sandwiches here, a couple of petrol stations have maybe a handful available, in the most boring flavours, but it's obviously something that just doesn't work here.

Is it because people would rather have a hot pie? Is it because they don't trust the supermarkets' fridges to keep them fresh? Is it just a culture thing? I remember mentioning it to an aussie friend who just said that aussies like their sandwiches made fresh from delis, but there are sandwich shops in the UK that do that too, and the supermarkets (and M&S of course) still have a market. Mmmm just remembered the M&S Brie and Grape sandwich on walnut bread..... It's not like they don't do delicious gourmet breads here, specially where there are lots of italians!

Any ideas anyone?

IS IT MAYBEE that all supermarket ready made sandwiches always taste of packing box cardboard????? ;)

But I don't remember the ones from Tesco and M&S being like that! Or am I just wearing my rose-coloured glasses again....?

Guest me123

i shop at coles st agnes...never seen anyone buy sarnies from there..dont blame them though,supermarket sarnies always too cold to taste of anything...think most people either make their own or buy hot fresh food ..ie: subway..wok in a box..the list is endless..also what it cost for a sandwich you can have a take out for the same price...

IS IT MAYBEE that all supermarket ready made sandwiches always taste of packing box cardboard????? ;)

I have to agree with you, supermarkets are a no no, theres a big coffee culture here and thats were the sandwiches get bought from the café / bar.

When i was at college i worked at a sandwich factory making the 'Boots' range of sangas....needless to say i would never ever buy a prepacked one now!!

I think the amount of deli's here making fresh is great so who needs prepacked!

But I don't remember the ones from Tesco and M&S being like that! Or am I just wearing my rose-coloured glasses again....?

Nope the ones in the UK were pretty good - loved that you could buy three 1/2 sandwiches together, all with different fillings.

I have to agree with you, supermarkets are a no no, theres a big coffee culture here and thats were the sandwiches get bought from the café / bar.

But they cost 2x as much and are nowhere near as good:(

But they cost 2x as much and are nowhere near as good:(

I have a little s/c if you can call it that literally right on my doorstep. It has a small iga supermarket, coffee place of course, butchers, bakers, grocers, beauty salon, hairdressers and accounts.

anyway the bakers make the best doughnuts ever. He also does sandwiches and rolls. When I have been a tad bit lazy, I head there for me lunch. He does this huge roll, filled with loads of chicken, avocado, sun-dried toms, and they call it fancy lettuce here. All for $3. It's so large I can't eat the whole thing, but still very yummy for me tummy.