Guest Fulwood

Flights home - where are the best deals???

Guest Fulwood

Only going back for a visit, but trying to find the Aussie equivillant of NetFlights.com!

We used them for the last two trips here (Reccie then emigration) and always found the £££ cheaper than other places.

We've asked them for a quote, but I've learnt that they cannot offer the best deal as the trip will (obviously) originate from Australia and so they can't offer the same discounts.

So, who do you book with and what routes are cheapest?

(BTW - It will be Adelaide to Manchester)

Cheers

It depends how far in advance you book the tickets. I've just booked Adelaide/Manchester for end July and was looking at webjet.com, singaporeair.com and various other "cheap" websites. I've found it's pretty hard to beat Singapore Airlines at the moment. I've always done the trip with them and would quite fancy a change - but no-one has ever beaten their price. Not much choice flying direct to Manchester either.

Val

Guest Guest75

Not one real place to look.

Better choosing the airline you want to fly with.

it's not cheap at the moment I can tell you.

Mrs Tyke goes back up to the UK this weekend for a rellie visit.

We still remember the bargain $1600 flights last year:daydreaming:

We always fly with Singapore ,sometimes they are very reasonable.

Guest Fulwood

Cheers guys - I've looked at webjets already and I guess I just need to accept that flight prices are none too cheap right now. In 2008 we got return flights from the UK for less than £800 each.

Anyone got the magic formula for how long in advance to book? Looking at going back at Christmas.

Looking at flying back for Christmas, so I guess all of the above goes out the window!

Guest Tina

no not cheap at all to return for a holiday, we are just looking at it now...

Christmas 2 adults return we are looking at min $5000 for two

so i thought.. ok we will go easter and again same price with singapore, brit air, quantas, emirates etc and cathay are quoting $11,000 each ... me personally would prefer not to go back and go to bali instead .

and as we can literally go anytime of the year, does anyone know the cheapest time to go....

Guest Guest5035

i was looking at qantas and singapore sites for march april next year, qantas were a $1000 cheaper for 2 adults at $4500

Stevo

Guest Stacey

Hi

There is a 48 hour sale with Air Asia X to celebrate their award as the top airline (I think) anyway they have a mega sale on now. Return flights from Malaysia to Stansted from $240 one way and I think around $199 return to Malaysia (don't quote me though).

You must book immediately and fly between 10 Oct and sometime in November. Anyway I would check out the website for more info if it interests you.

Cheers

Stacey

x

Don't forget to look at all the extras you'll have to pay on Air Asia - I think they even charge for a glass of water on board, plus there's extra for luggage, extra for food, extra for other drinks. Not heard about them charging to use the loo (like Ryanair threatened a while back) yet, but they probably reserve the right to do so!

Guest Tina

i have noticed that with air asia.... on the surface the price is a bargain until they add all the extras to this cost, and the total cost of all flights is just as expensive as the other airlines, cant win...

Guest Jen & Did

Hi my OH has gone back to the UK four times so far in the last eight months and has used flight centre and jetabroad. The latter one is usually the cheapest but flight centre will price match.

Hope this helps

Jen

Guest MrsHills

Now someone has just told me that if you can produce a death certificate (obviously if your trip is to go to a funeral - not for a holiday) airline will give them to you half price - I have no idea if this is an old wives tale, but for those in an unfortunate situation like that it wouldnt hurt to ask, unless there is someone on this forum with such knowledge!!

Guest tinkham_lee

the best way to get the price down is to play the travel agents off against each other, they all seem to price match so keep going back and forth between them quoting the cheapest price you have got until they cant beat it, then go with the cheapest. this can easily knock off a few hundred bucks per person and with flight centre you fly free if they cant beat the price.

Guest willfam
    the best way to get the price down is to play the travel agents off against each other, they all seem to price match so keep going back and forth between them quoting the cheapest price you have got until they cant beat it, then go with the cheapest. this can easily knock off a few hundred bucks per person and with flight centre you fly free if they cant beat the price.

Having a niece that use to work with Flight Centre I know that when you "beat" them down on price it is the travel consultant that misses out not the company. What ever they discount comes out of their commission...they earn quite a low wage and only make their money from commissions really.

Guest Fulwood

Just looking at 'bestflights.com.au' and playing the timing roulette wheel,

Book too soon, they haven't discounted. Leave it too late, nil availability or prices skyrocket!

Anyone know when you need to pay with bestflights? Is it all upfront, or do they allow you to 'layby' the deal! lol I mean, can I hold the flight and pay the balance say 8 weeks before departure?

Guest Peachie

Defo with tina on this one as can't think of anything more depressing than spending all my ill gotton gains with a holiday in the UK

bali, sunshine coast, whitsundays, broom cairns have all made my hols short list as places to explore as never been hubby wants to go to New Zealand so adding fiji to my list UK sucks in comparasion

Guest Fulwood
    Defo with tina on this one as can't think of anything more depressing than spending all my ill gotton gains with a holiday in the UK

bali, sunshine coast, whitsundays, broom cairns have all made my hols short list as places to explore as never been hubby wants to go to New Zealand so adding fiji to my list UK sucks in comparasion

I'm sure we could all list dream holiday locations but there are still times where a trip to the Uk is the only option. For me it is to see family and introduce my newborn son to his Grandparents, Aunties and Uncles. Can't really do that in Bali or Fiji can I?

Guest Peachie
    I'm sure we could all list dream holiday locations but there are still times where a trip to the Uk is the only option. For me it is to see family and introduce my newborn son to his Grandparents, Aunties and Uncles. Can't really do that in Bali or Fiji can I?

Congrats on the birth of your son

my family still dirty at me for taking my kids away from them so won't be visiting them anytime soon so bali it will be

Guest Fulwood

Well bestflights still seem to be the erm best!

My main trouble is we're travelling at just about the most expensive time of year and having zero flexibilty on dates only compounds the problem.

I want to fly from Adelaide to Manchester in December then return to Adelaide in January. What frustrates me the most is I've just done a search on the same flights, with the same airlines but going in reverse - Manchester to Adelaide then returning to Manchester on the same date in January and the UK agent offers me the route almost 30% less.

I thought it was rip-off Britain I'd left behind?