Cannons

Where will I give birth?

Hi,

Can someone give some advice as to what I should do on arriving in Adelaide as regards to my pregnancy, I will be 30 wks. Is the first thing to register with Medicare? What hospital will I deliver at? we will be in the Port Noarlunga area. Do you have a choice of Hospital? Is it possible to make contact with the Hospital before arriving in Oz?

Sorry for all the questions, the reason I ask is that my GP/Obstetrician is keen to make contact with whoever will be looking after me in this pregnancy. I said I wasn't sure how things work over there but would try and find out. It may well just be a case of having to bring all my notes and letters to give to the appropriate person on Arrival.

Thanks.

Jo x

Guest familygood

Just been through all this myself. I arrived 22 weeks gone back in January. You have to ring the midwives at Noarlunga Hospital and they will give you the nmber to ring the Pregnancy Hotline and get a registeration number for your pregnancy. They will also make you an appt with the midwives. I then did a tour of Flinders Medical Centre where I had bubs 13 days ago!

Bring all your notes and all your scans etc and from any previous pregnancies as this can also be helpful. You dont need to contact anyone before you get here.

The care I have received from the midwives and then from Flinders has been really excellent. Especially at the hospital. You don't get as much after care here only one visit from the midwife after a couple of days at home and then a visit from health Visitor equivalent at 2 weeks.

If you want to know more then do pm me and I can let you know anything you need - phone numbers etc. Or if you want to meet up when you arrive then let me know I live in Christies Beach so a few minutes from Port Noarlunga!

Good luck - the flights the worst bit!!!

Guest kfoley0681

good luck with it all i guess flinders will be the closest as mentioned. its a shame you dont get after care there though we are in the north subs and i had my son at the lyal mac hospital in my own court yard room with own bathroom and they are the only hospital in australia to offer mothers help. a free service that all new mums are entitiled to a lady comes everyday for a week does all you housework cooks cleans looks after other kids will drive you around! its fantastic!

good luck with it all i guess flinders will be the closest as mentioned. its a shame you dont get after care there though we are in the north subs and i had my son at the lyal mac hospital in my own court yard room with own bathroom and they are the only hospital in australia to offer mothers help. a free service that all new mums are entitiled to a lady comes everyday for a week does all you housework cooks cleans looks after other kids will drive you around! its fantastic!

Wow thats sounds fantastic if only that happended everywhere. Thanks for your reply.

Familygood - will PM you.

Ratters2005 - Beach sounds relaxing don't think the other beach users would appreciate me lying screaming like a wild animal but thanks for the suggestion lol!!!

Guest looby lou

I have to say that maternity services are fantastic here. Had my baby 13 weeks ago at Womens and Childrens Hospital. Had the same midwife all the way through, most of my appointments at home. Hospital stay was great. Just sorry we won't be here for next baby.....

Guest mandmick

Hi

Sorry to jump on the thread but I'm due anyday with number 2 and going to Lyle McEwin.. just wanted to ask how it was and if you have any advice for me!

Had first baby in Dubai so this is a new experience, though I was very impressed!

I was told you have to book the home help before the birth.. is that true?

I don't suppose you know of any playgroups or mums groups in the area. I am in Golden Grove and struggling to find anywhere.

Many thanks

Mandy