Guest Guest5035

Which job to which job

Guest Guest5035

I came from the UK as a Boliermaker stuck it for 2 years then got out the trade and into a machine operator then into a Plastic Technician, (Blow moulding, i make 85% of the plastic drink bottles on the supermarket shelf ), What job did you leave and are doing now?

stevo

I served my time as a roof Slater/tiler /roughcaster (pebble dash) worked as a building foreman before moving here done a few jobs worked in plastic factory blow moulding car parts left that worked in Holden for 7 years on the line as charge hand left that now work for my self as a general contractor.

I was PA to a millionaire tax-exile megalomaniac managing director of a chain of hotels and restaurants, and now I'm the Finance Manager at a Management Consultants (or Project Officer, depends which I feel like calling myself!) Much, much nicer boss, better hours, a lot nicer all round!! And no more dodgy dictation....

I'm sure hating my job so much in the UK was one of the deciding factors in wanting to emigrate. Would probably have been cheaper and easier just to find a new job, but hey...

I came from the UK as a Boliermaker stuck it for 2 years then got out the trade and into a machine operator then into a Plastic Technician, (Blow moulding, i make 85% of the plastic drink bottles on the supermarket shelf ), What job did you leave and are doing now?

stevo

right you ready for this.....

Toolmaker - CNC operator - DJ - Roadie - Jobless - Bunnings - Tools Rep - Toolmaker ( now loving it again )

All in the space of just over 2 years......:biglaugh::realmad::err:

HG

Guest caoimhe

Toolmaker - CNC operator - DJ - Roadie - Jobless - Bunnings - Tools Rep - Toolmaker ( now loving it again )

HG

does that make you a Jack of all trades, master of none:biglaugh:

Guest caoimhe

Stay at home mum to working 5 days in a warehouse packing up car parts:arghh: and the O/H told me we were coming to Aus for a better life:confused:

Stay at home mum to working 5 days in a warehouse packing up car parts:arghh: and the O/H told me we were coming to Aus for a better life:confused:

Equal rights and all that.....

does that make you a Jack of all trades, master of none:biglaugh:

About right my friend....

HG

Guest Guest5035

did anyone stick with their trade?

Stevo

Guest katsmajic

Was hospitality manager (but did a stint as rugby club manager whilst i recovered from broken leg)

came here - went back to being a chef, realised why i had gone to uni to get out of being a chef all those years ago - now a barista trainer, drinking coffee most days and getting paid for it ;)

still in the industry but diversified a bit.

Guest Guest75

We are certainly not doing what we did in the UK.

We found that once here we could not implement the business plans on our visa app.

Now doing totally different things - but that is why we came here - for new challenges.:cute::cute:

Guest tinkham_lee

Stevo

Except for a 4 month first job I stayed in my trade

CNC Machinist back in England.

Labourer (first job just to get me into work)

Now back as a CNC Machinist

Guest Guest5035
    Except for a 4 month first job I stayed in my trade

CNC Machinist back in England.

Labourer (first job just to get me into work)

Now back as a CNC Machinist

So whats it like compared to the UK, wages, conditions, hours etc etc.

Stevo

Guest kangomik

It's a damn site warmer Stevo.

I stayed in the same industry and trade, money and hours are a lot better over here i think, and the driving is a damn site better.

Fitter

But now office bound.

Welder fabricator is my other trade, but i don't fancy doing that in the middle of summer!

Guest lastboyscout

Stevo

Me ;)

Still enjoy what I do and get great pleasure out of it :jiggy:

Wages and conditions about the same as UK but now work for myself , and its much more pleasant painting cars in this weather ;)

Guest steve&tracy

well ive stuck with my trade for nearly 2 years so far , the hours are worse ie doing rotating shifts, i am a web offset machine printer printing alot of the junk mail and work on the same make of press as i did in the u.k.(the only one in South Australia) money is o.k. for SA and i have no real intentions of changing my trade at the moment.

Guest jimmel

HG

Hi

We are here for three weeks to activate our visa and suss out jobs etc..

OH has 176 visa as boiler maker but currently works as a composite toolmaker.

Any chance you could pm us so that he can pick your brains ?

Thanks Mel

Guest motlyman

I was a mechanic for many moons then an Mot tester in the UK.

Came here 3.5 yrs ago and had a complete change to Pool service/maintenance.

Had to do courses and training which i did in my 6 month holiday when we arrived.

Colin

same trade Air Conditioning engineer.basic wage better with exchange rate and less hours.plus the bonus of working outside in the sun(most of the time):D

Hi I was a midwife in the UK and am now a case coordinator/triage nurse - I have two part time jobs - worked in a few hospitals here and have to say it didn't really float my boat plus found it difficult with shifts as family friendlyis virtually a non existent concept. All that said there are a couple of hospitals I would go back and work at if anything happened with the other 2 jobs. One of my jobs I do from home which is fab! So after nearly three years I feel more settled (job wise) - always knew Australia was for us just needed to fond the right job fit ;0)

My job hasn't changed that much I worked with kids 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 3mornings per week now work in childcare 9 hours a day!!but only 2 days so not to bad.

Hubby had the biggest change of job went from hairdresser to policeman:huh:

Hi

We are here for three weeks to activate our visa and suss out jobs etc..

OH has 176 visa as boiler maker but currently works as a composite toolmaker.

Any chance you could pm us so that he can pick your brains ?

Thanks Mel

Have PM'd you guys....

HG