Guest Skippy

How much tax?!

Guest Skippy

Hi guys,

hope someone can shed a little light on this for us. OH and myself have a 475 provisional resident visa. In the eyes of the tax office we are non-residents? OH seems to be paying an enormous amount of tax on his earnings - around 40%. We also think he's taxed on all his earnings too? Can anyone shed any light on this area for us. Felt really deflated last night as we had decided to start looking for a house to buy over the next month (need to contact that very helpful Andrew Williams!) but now we're thinking can we get by for the next 20 months until we apply for our 887. We'd be so grateful for any info. Thanks so much Anna x

Hi,

You need to tell the tax office that you are residents for tax purposes (which you are on this visa), when we applied for our tax file number online we were automatically given a non resident tax number and had to phone the tax office to change this and we got a new notification.

That should sort it all out.

Flutterby

Guest Stacey

Hi guys

You should to the best of my knowledge be on the same tax system as everyone else.

You are classed as resident for tax purposes and shouldn't be paying the enormous tax percentage that you are.

We initially arrived on a 495 temp visa (I think the 475 is the new 495) and paid the normal tax rates. We also paid the normal tax rates when we were backpackers in Australia and I know that Andy's brother who is on a working holiday visa is also paying normal amounts of tax.

I would suggest you contact the tax office straight away...as Flutterby says it may be to do with your tax file number?

Good luck

Stacey

x

Guest Stacey

Hi I forgot to mention if you can get it all sorted out before the end of the financial year (30 June) you may be entitled to a nice tax rebate this year!

Good luck

We were both given non resident tax status when we initially got our tax numbers, but a quick phone call to the tax office to tell them we should be residents for tax purposes & all was sorted. Very easy, no problems.

Guest Skippy

Guys,

thanks so much!!! We had no idea and yes we did apply for our TFN's online. We shall get onto it immediately and a rebate would be superb if it happened. Thanks again! Anna x :)

Guest tinkham_lee

Im in the same position, classed as a non resident for tax, on a working holiday visa. can someone provide the phone number for the tax office please

Hi Anna

Looks like you've got your question answered, feel free to contact me to have a chat re the mortgage, I see you're in Sheidow Park, I'm only around the corner in Happy Valley.

tinkham_lee this should help you determine your tax residence status Tax Tools - Residency

Phone number - Personal tax enquiries – 13 28 61

Regards

Andy

Guest Skippy

Hi Andrew,

that would be great. Contact you shortly - that would be most helpful. Anna