Guest markmet

Provisional licence process

Guest markmet

Hi

Has anyone converted their provisional licence to an sa provisional. Just wandered what the process was. Would it be converted to a provisional one licence. I wont be best pleased if I have to start from the beginning as I have had over a years worth of driving lessons in the uk before arriving in adelaide. I have a letter from my instructor to prove this. Wandered if anyone else had been through swapping theirs over and how you got on.

Thanks

Chris.

Not a chance i'm afraid, you will have to start again from scratch, I had to take the theory before I could drive and passed on my 3rd attempt, but had been driving for 3 mths on my uk learners, which is legal, but the lady processing me nearly had a heart attack, that was in NSW so could be different here. I did not think to bring proof from my driving instructor so you may have a chance, make sure it states exactly how many daytime hours you have driven and how many night time hours. Hope this helps x

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hi Chris

You would have to start as a learner here in Adelaide. You take a theory type test at the sa centre and then they give you a learners licence. There are then a couple of options of how to get your full licence. Logbook style or a course with an instructor. This however only gives you your P plates and then after two years of having P plates you take another test! Its a very different process. If you have proof that you have had lessons they may take this into consideration but I doubt it. Your UK provisional licence isn't worth anything here.

I was in exactly the same position as you but I have to say I have found it really easy here, I have done the logbook way and then taking the VORT test.

All the info is here:

Drivers and licences - Government of South Australia

hope this helps!

Guest markmet

Thanks for your replies guys. Will have to go to the office in marion and see how I get on. Just seems such a waste starting again when its already cost a fortune in lessons.

Oh well I will plod on and hopefully will be on the road soon.

Chris

Thanks for your replies guys. Will have to go to the office in marion and see how I get on. Just seems such a waste starting again when its already cost a fortune in lessons.

Oh well I will plod on and hopefully will be on the road soon.

Chris

Hi

Could you keep me updated how you get on please. I was talking to a friend about converting mine and she said to do it asap as they are on about putting the hours for driving from 50 to 70 soon. I've had driving lessons on and off over the years and things like not having any money or having the kids put it on hold. If you hear of a decnet driving instructor can you drop me a line too.

Thanks

Niki

Guest Andrew&Ren
    Hi

Could you keep me updated how you get on please. I was talking to a friend about converting mine and she said to do it asap as they are on about putting the hours for driving from 50 to 70 soon. I've had driving lessons on and off over the years and things like not having any money or having the kids put it on hold. If you hear of a decnet driving instructor can you drop me a line too.

Thanks

Niki

I think they are putting it up to 70 hours. :mad:

The logbook is the best and cheapest way to go though. Yes you have to record the 50 hours but you can do it at your own pace and if you have a partner or friend with a full licence who is willing to take you out they can fill in the book so its not costing you anything. Also you are able to take the VORT test at anytime, meaning you can take the VORT test when your ready.

Good luck!