Guest laurencetonkin

Help!

Guest laurencetonkin

So...my girlfriend and I are getting hitched in August and heading off round the world to do a bit of backpacking for a year. I've managed to convince my firm's office in Adelaide to take me on for 3 months from January, but now we have the confusion of trying to sort out a place to live for that time without knowing anything about the place!

Just wondered if anyone had any views on best places to live for a young couple who like their peace and quiet but with the option of a short bus/train ride to where it's all happening?

Also from doing a bit of googling rents seem pretty expensive in comparison to the UK - average seems around $500-600 a WEEK in Adelaide...we're paying £650 a month in Cambridgeshire! Is this right or am I just looking in the wrong places? I will be earning $70k and hopefully my girlfriend could earn say $20-30k.

Is it best to get a 3 month rental through a letting agent (do they even do such short term rentals?) or to try and get a lease break from someone?

So confused...help!!!

In your place, I'd be looking at Norwood, Unley or Glenelg, or possibly North Adelaide. Lots going on when you want it, nice quiet leafy streets around, good public transport to everything. In terms of rentals, you'll I guess be looking at furnished, which does work out a bit more pricey, but for three months you should be able to find somewhere perhaps around the $300-$400 a week mark for the two of you. Keep an eye on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au rentals section, or http://www.domain.com.au which also has a key-word search facility so you'll be able to put "furnished" in and narrow things down a little.

Sounds a great adventure, you'll have a wonderful time I'm sure.

Diane

Agree with Diane. Also the area between Hutt Street & East Terrace might be worth considering, depending on rents. Quite a few nice bars, cafes & restaurants on Hutt Street, including a great Nepalese, or just 15 mins walk into the CBD. Nice feel to the area & quiet on the smaller streets (not Wakefield Rd). Victoria Park on your doorstep too. The Clipsal 500 is in this area in March, so noisy & busy for 4 days, Great if you like motorsport though.

You could also try within the CBD itself.There are quite a few furnished student studio type apartments around, but yes Norwood, Glenelg, Nth Adelaide or nearby suburbs are all ideally placed. They all have their main strip of shops, pubs, cafes etc but once you go a few streets over, most are pretty quiet areas.

Guest laurencetonkin

Wow thanks everyone :-) I like the sound of Glenelg - we got engaged in Glenelg, Scotland, so that would have a nice circularity to it...Good to hear that rents aren't as expensive as we've been seeing elsewhere.

Very interesting that you got engaged in Glenelg, Scotland, this is where my mother was born. What on ever made you decide to go there. As far as I can remember (and it has been a long time) there isn't a lot there to attract people.

Just curious.

Hey...

we live between the city in glenelg....on the tram its 2mins to the beach and 15 mins to city!

We pay 280 a week and for a 2 bed place.

Dan

Nothing wrong with a good palindrome, whichever side of the world it's on!

OOH I had to google what that actually means. :goofy::goofy:.

Great word I will try to use it more often.

Guest laurencetonkin
    Very interesting that you got engaged in Glenelg, Scotland, this is where my mother was born. What on ever made you decide to go there. As far as I can remember (and it has been a long time) there isn't a lot there to attract people.

Just curious.

We had rented a holiday cottage there for a bit of peace and quiet, and that's when I popped the question...there's nothing in Glenelg other than a pub and a small village shop, which was half the attraction! The gorgeous scenery helped a lot too, plus Skye was only a ferry ride away.