Car Information

andi

We are selling my trusty ford focus in the uk to my son so will have about $8k to spend on another car including all fees related to this.

Can anyone give me an idea of the best car to buy, looking for something like a ford fiesta or focus in size and in the UK these cars are good value and cheaper to get fixed and insured.

What fees will i have to budget for?

Is there anything i have to look out for ie in the UK the larger engine the higher to road tax and insurance.

We have only hired a car for a week so really looking to buy as soon as we get over so want to do my homework via the net before i get there.

We are staying in Glenelg to start with so if anyone can recommend any reputable garages within 30 miles or so, i would appreciate it.

start looking here give you some prices and what you can get for your money. you have to pay rego which goes from 4-6-8 cylinder cars 4 being the cheepest tou do not have to have insurance but you are beter with it. You have to pay stamp duty when you buy a car but its not too much.

Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au

Guest kangomik

depends if you want to buy knew or not

New focus 2.0 ltr is about 19500 on the road. Fiesta is around 17500

Kia Cerato is 18500 new on road.

Hyundai is 5 years warranty.

Second hand is a mine field, 20 + year old cars sell for over 6k here.

Don't be rshed and be prepared to haggle.

Comp insurance, and rego..... rego works on car cylinders so by a V8 and you will pay

Second hand is a mine field, 20 + year old cars sell for over 6k here.

Not quite true. If it's a classic car sure, but depending on what you're looking for, you could get a 10 yr old car with 150Ks on it for $5000. I have a '93 Camry that cost well below that.

Guest TheTodds

Always check prices are drive away. Many used cars are less stamp duty so be prepared to pay extra on top of the screen price. New cars are usually drive away prices.

The Hyundai i30 is Australia's best selling mid size car and is more reliable/cost effective than a Focus or other mid sized car. The 5 year unlimited km warranty is a real bonus too (not that you should need it).

If you are looking for a fellow pom to help point you in the right direction then just get down to Reynella Hyundai on Main South Road and ask for me - I'll be more than happy to help with new cars or I can introduce you to our used car sales team.

Insurance is usually cheaper than the UK. Would reccommend Allianz.

Dave Todd.

Guest kerfumph

The Hyundai i30 is Australia's best selling mid size car and is more reliable/cost effective than a Focus or other mid sized car. The 5 year unlimited km warranty is a real bonus too (not that you should need it).

Dave Todd.

Pity it's as ugly as sin. What were they thinking with the back end? And I very much doubt it is more reliable than a golf.

They've only got 8K, so will get a early 2000's Commodore or Falcon.

Guest kangomik

Suzer its a 4 cylinder jap car. it's 17 years old. its over priced.

The jist was , old cars are expensive, thank you for confirming that.

ie 17 year old car at 5K new car . IE hyundia Getz at 13K new

Please feel free to point out to the poster about dealer cars advertised under 3K and the implications involved.

These people get off a plane and know sweet FA, telling them that cheap cars are plentiful is just pure hogwash. The fact they are more likely to buy a heap of junk would be closer to the point.

Guest WhatNow?

Come out of Glenelg, turn south down Brighton Road and 5mins away, over the level crossing on the corner of the first turning right is AussieCarGroup. Ask to speak to Michael or Brian, tell them what sort of thing you are after and what price you want to pay and if they haven't got something on the forecourt they will find you something. Couple of nice helpful guys and they will sort you out with a cheap rental car too if you are stuck.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Great car are out there.

i payed 8K for a 2001 Holden Belina 3.8 V6 with 136K on the clock.

As new condition and never once let me down.

Rego on it aint to bad, fuel ecomamy is very good, 9 litres to 100klm around town.

Hell drive from Adelaide to Melbourne on 1 tank of fuel.

Fully comp insurance is only $400 per year for me.

5 years full parts and labour warrenty, just gotta keep it serviced every 10k and normally cost around 90 bucks.

You havnt gotta spend Major money to get a very good car.

Guest cornish Busdriver

900klms one one tank of fuel.

crusing at 100klm, consumpsion drops down to around betwwen 5 -6 liters per 100klm.

Big motors drink less fuel on long runs as the motor isnt working as hard compared to a small moter thats working all the time on long distance.

Any yes its got a 75ltr tank as well lol lol lol

Suzer its a 4 cylinder jap car. it's 17 years old. its over priced.

The jist was , old cars are expensive, thank you for confirming that.

ie 17 year old car at 5K new car . IE hyundia Getz at 13K new

Please feel free to point out to the poster about dealer cars advertised under 3K and the implications involved.

These people get off a plane and know sweet FA, telling them that cheap cars are plentiful is just pure hogwash. The fact they are more likely to buy a heap of junk would be closer to the point.

I said my 17 yr old car cost far less than 5K mate. Jap cars are the best ones out there and most reliable most of the time as well.

Old cars here are not expensive, if you look in the right place. Spending more than twice the amount on a new car, as a new immigrant, isn't always possible.

Cheap cars are plentiful here. But yes, if you know nothing about cars, and don't know how to check out a used car, it goes without saying that you could end up with an unreliable one. Luckily, my husband rebuilds cars as a hobby, so we can suss them out properly.

Guest kangomik

Apologies Suzer your quite right.

Just been down North road and there are quite a few cheap cars at the Gepps cross end rather than the city end.

To the OP, you don't have an MOT over here, and you need to pay for a drivers licence also.

Guest SaraLouiseSaunders

Hi - we bought a 2004 Hyundai Accent for $8k with only 45k km on the clock if that helps - second hand cars are expensive here compared to the UK so be prepared for a shock - the bonus is cars don't tend to rust here but you can get an old runaround for about $5k. It seems new car prices are on a par with the UK.

Sara

There are a lot of Hyundai Getz about,and i have seen the odd few brand new on the forecourts advertised as such,at 11,990 dollars,not bad for a nippy small car new.The old Camry SV 21 is the one i went for after arriving here to get us off renting a car out.1989,immaculate,full history and mega reliable,2 litre engine, so economical.There are thousands of them here,and they are in my opinion a good bet at first to give you breathing space whilst you settle in.A Tow Bar is very handy also when you get here,we saved hundreds when setting up by using a trailer to hump furniture around,instead of paying removal fees.Best Luck.:)

Guest cornish Busdriver

lol lol lol lol Diane.

My bus only does bout 1k per litre and got a 400ltr tank.

Bloody glad i aint gotta pay the fuel on it.