Orf we jolly well go!

sueoc

Hi,

We are off back to the UK in the morning for a visit,to see Family.Should be interesting to see how we perceive things there now,after 21 months here.Will it be scorching hot?Will Galaxy and Red Leicester taste as good as i remember?Will the dawn chorus still sound magnificent!Should be an interesting trip.All the best to you all,see you soon.:)

Guest Guest75

It's not been good weather at all according to Mrs Tyke who is over there at the moment.

Typical UK summer today!

A nice winters day here though.

Having been back and forth between the 2 countries over the years....... we went back in June once and found it really hard to adjust to the endless daylight with it getting light so early in the morning. The birds will sound lovely. The houses and room sizes will seem really small. I envy you, you will be able to have some decent sausages!!!

Hope you have a great trip!

Guest Damien

My mum said it was only 9.5 degrees in Essex on Friday - and it's summer there! And everyone here reckons its cold at the mo lol :) And I get called a mad pom for wearing shorts to work...........

Having been back and forth between the 2 countries over the years....... we went back in June once and found it really hard to adjust to the endless daylight with it getting light so early in the morning. The birds will sound lovely. The houses and room sizes will seem really small. I envy you, you will be able to have some decent sausages!!!

Hope you have a great trip!

Yes Anne,i forgot about sausages.I have not had any like those in the UK,really tasty.The Bacons all right here though.Thanks.:)

Guest spongebob

OMG what do you mean come back to taste galaxy?????????????????????:shocked:

You are not seriously telling me Australia does not have galaxy?????????????:shocked:

I love galaxy, I will not survive!!!! I thought I was wanting to move to a modern country not Timbuctoo!!!!!!!:shocked:

How much chocolate can I bring with me in my baggage allowance??????????????? I thought it was sad that I can't have monster munch let a lone galaxy. Next you'll be telling me I can't get a decent cup of PG Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Jennie

Guest WhatNow?

Sadly even Cadbury's isn't the same here either due to the fact that it's made to a different recipe to stop it melting. (Though it probably won't taste the same in the UK once Kraft move all the production elsewhere!). I'm told by a Galaxy-aholic that Dove is the nearest to Galaxy you can get but have yet to try it myself. I have seen PG Tips in my local Foodland and Grind (coffe and tea stall) in Central Market sell PG Tips Pyramid tea bags, so don't despair!

OMG what do you mean come back to taste galaxy?????????????????????:shocked:

You are not seriously telling me Australia does not have galaxy?????????????:shocked:

I love galaxy, I will not survive!!!! I thought I was wanting to move to a modern country not Timbuctoo!!!!!!!:shocked:

How much chocolate can I bring with me in my baggage allowance??????????????? I thought it was sad that I can't have monster munch let a lone galaxy. Next you'll be telling me I can't get a decent cup of PG Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Jennie

There's lot of things you cant have this is no modern country years behind in a lot of things. I try and do a chocolate run once a year suit case full you don't get multi packs of like twix mars etc there about 1 pound each here so stock up.

Guest verulam

We live in the UK though Im married to an Aussie. Just been over to Adelaide for a break to see his family and returned to the UK yesterday, to a glorious 26C and getting warmer for the weekend. Lovely after cool rainy Adelaide LOL. Had a brill time even though I ended up at Lyall McEwin having my finger stitched up! (Not safe to be let loose with knives in the kitchen :)), and brought back Arnotts chicken crimpies, Kelloggs Nutrigrain and some Tim Tams! Glad to be back to UK chocolate though cos I agree its just not the same over there!

• 2 months later...
Guest kfoley0681

yes dove is pretty much the same as galaxy chocolate same packaging too! but you can buy galaxy, and mistrals and also i enjoyed a packet of pickled onion monster munch the other day!!! all sold at choc o nuts one at ingle farm and one at golden grove in the north subs not sure if that shop is down south too??!!!!

not forgetting if you shop in coles the supermarket they have a selection of english products helmans mayo, english marmite yum yum!, pg tips, mushy peas,branston baked beans and a few other things!!!

Guest kangomik
yes dove is pretty much the same as galaxy chocolate same packaging too! but you can buy galaxy, and mistrals and also i enjoyed a packet of pickled onion monster munch the other day!!! all sold at choc o nuts one at ingle farm and one at golden grove in the north subs not sure if that shop is down south too??!!!!

not forgetting if you shop in coles the supermarket they have a selection of english products helmans mayo, english marmite yum yum!, pg tips, mushy peas,branston baked beans and a few other things!!!

I don't let the kids in the golden grove one, I would be skint LOL:biglaugh: Not that there's a few poms in the North East but it gets a fair few mentions over the PA system on a weekend. If the had one in Little Britain it would go down a storm!

I have to say the Cadbury stuff and other supermarket shelf makes taste slightly worse in Aus than in the UK. Neither are great chocolate though IMO. Too much crap, not enough cocoa.

I can understand the recipe having to alter slightly to prevent melting.

If I want to treat myself to decent chocolate in Aus I buy Haighs :> Otherwise I tend to go without. We tend to buy Green & Blacks or Lindt here anyways, much nicer choccy. I'd rather a smaller bar of that than a huge not so nice Cadbury one.

Saying that, compared to choc in the US the UK and Aus stuff is blooming lovely :P