Monthly cost of Groceries

Guest Lord Sistova

i'll probably spend less once i'm back at work, wont feel the need to serve up full dinners every night in an attempt to justify my existence.

HA! That's funny! Actually now that I'm back at work full time I'm serving up full dinners due to guilt of being gone all day!

Guest Mikemouseton
i'm in seaford rise can anyone point me in the direction of a good ie cheap veg market. they all seem to be up yonder somewhere so by the time you've added petrol on its not worth it for 50c off a kilo of apples.

you can just get everything in foodland, coles or woolies the same as asda or tesco, it just depends if you need to save a few bob. i was always a tescos girl, i'm finding it quite hard to get out of the habit of one shop and thats it, not very domesticated i'm afraid.

Try Willunga Farmers Market Home: Willunga Farmers Market - every Saturday morning or

O'Halloran Hill Fruit Mart O'Halloran Hill Fruit Mart - Products

Guest Peachie

we spend about $900 to $1000 a month (just food) kids age 12 and 5 the youngest is a bottomless pitt cash goes on milk bread (7 loafs) yogurt fruit veg and meat we always cook from fresh and don't buy much junk as thats what their pocket money is for just a couple of pks of biccies and odd bag of crisps we all take packed lunches hense the bread

I also make ale pie great with mash or wedges I roll the meat in seasoned flour before frying then it thickens the gravy as it cooks so don't need gravey granuals

hilarious!! Yes bread is expensive here but i find it cheaper from the bakery than the super market! which is weird as in the uk the bakery is usually more expensive!

Having children increases your food bills and for us who live further out groceries are generally more expensive as they have one super market which has the monopoly!

We are a family of 4 and as others have said depends on cleaning/laundry/personal items but usually spend in the region of $150~$230!

hi

The fruit and veg shop in Aldinga beach is very good price wise and the eggs are always $1.99 ($2) a dozenIt really is only at the top a 15 minute drive from seaford so probably worth a trip,other gr8 veg shop is on south road,morphet vale next to thr rite price~i went to try the rite price but ended up buying more from the fruit and veg shop next door as the rite prices goods were mostly out of date. wilunga market is supposed to be fabulous~we keep saying we will go but still haven't checked it out,so can only go on what others have told me.

Guest Carla

This is a subject quite close to my heart (and tummy) as I love food, as do the rest of my family (hubby and 2 kids - 3 and 19 months). We spend - wait for it - a grand a month on food and this is with me buying the specials (and doesn't include alcohol). I shop at Coles in Southgate and yes, we do have to buy nappies, wipes etc, but this only makes up around $50 of our monthly shop.

It seems the best thing to do is to shop around (as per caoimhe's post - with 6 kids), and I take my hat off to them. Maybe I am lazy, but I would rather hit one shop and buy everything I need, than go to several different ones. I find food over here so much more expensive than at home. Gone are the days of 2 for 1 offers on salmon filets in Sainsbury's!!!

Guest cbeeb

the best veggie shop i have found down south is in reynella off main south road adelaide fruit and veg think it is called left hand side of road going south great quality and much cheaper than supermarkets great deli section. I do not like aldinga fruit shop iti s cheap but does not taste great but i als do use willunga farmers market willunga co-op and grow some and make cakes etc do not buy cakes/biscuits. work it out when you get here cook from scratch as ready meals here are crap . i know make pizzas from scratch as they taste so much better. I use alot of pulses as we do not eat meat. i seem to spend alot in central markets as food choice is fabulous. i have found coles in marion better then the ones further south so go from work now