Guest Guest75

Removing oil from jacket?

Guest Guest75

Could anyone give a me tips on removing oil from a jacket?

It's a light greasy oil from a piston on my nice new florescent safety /boat jacket - it stands out a mile!

Tried scrubbing with a paste of Napisan to little effect.

Guest kangomik

My Reader's Digest 'How to Clean Just About Anything'... which sits on a shelf gathering dust!! lol says

"Oil & Grease on Clothes - Blot as much as poss with paper towels or carefully scrape solids up with a dull knife. For clothes that can only be dry cleaned, blot the grease with paper towels dampened with acetone-based nail polish remover. (DON'T use acetone on acetate, as it will dissolve fabric). For washable clothes, spray with a commercial pre-wash stain remover or use a liquid laundry detergent. Work the detergent into the stain. Immediately after pre-treatment, wash the item in your washing machine using hot water (if that is safe for the fabric and colours)."

For info, I use a spray product called StainGo (got it from Woolies) which is brilliant for spot removing all kinds of marks.

Louise

Guest Guest75

Cheers guys.:notworthy:

I have some Stain Go in the cupboard so I'll give that a go.

If not some degreaser / solvent.

I don't want to lose the waterproofing though .

Guest Damien

I dunno, Mrs Tyke goes for a holiday and you get all messy! At least you'll look like a proper tradie haha! That jacket was just TOO clean.

Guest back clan

talc draws out the oil but u should do it asap after you stain it so probably a bit late by now. thats what we use on the fabrics at work if you get machine oil on them. good luck

We used to find babywipes were really good at getting grease off when we had a caravan back in the UK and the kids got grease on them from the towbar. Might be worth a try.

Guest Guest75
    I dunno, Mrs Tyke goes for a holiday and you get all messy! At least you'll look like a proper tradie haha! That jacket was just TOO clean.

It looks like a tradies jacket now - and smells like a fishermans!

Strong washing up liquid. It is designed to get grease stains off of dishes. In the uk I would use fairy liquid. Rub into grease stain and then out through machine on normal wash.

Mx

Guest Chandan

I got greas from a car boot hinge on my wedding dress (the night before my wedding!!) luckily my hubby worked in a dry cleaners, they couldnt help then and there but to remove oil I would take it to a dry cleaners i was told they need to add a special oil to lift the other oil and so on.. for me thank goodness for bouquets, hid it perfectly!

Guest snowy10

If the stain is fresh and you have done nothing to it the following has always worked for me.

1. Smear butter into the oil stain with your finger, this will lossen the grease/dilute it as butter is also a grease.

2. When the butter has loosened the stain you are now left with getting the butter off!! Now smear neat washing up liquid into the area, this will remover the butter.

3. Wash the area with hot water, hey presto...stain removed.

It only works on fresh stains so will not work if you have already washed the garment.

Guest Guest75
    It could be worse, it could have been a leather jacket;)

Groaaannnnnn!!!:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
    If the stain is fresh and you have done nothing to it the following has always worked for me.

1. Smear butter into the oil stain with your finger, this will lossen the grease/dilute it as butter is also a grease.

2. When the butter has loosened the stain you are now left with getting the butter off!! Now smear neat washing up liquid into the area, this will remover the butter.

3. Wash the area with hot water, hey presto...stain removed.

It only works on fresh stains so will not work if you have already washed the garment.

That's a new way!

I've had a few scrubs at it so I'd consider it washed now.

Also the Cuttlefish ink (permanent again) is doing a fine job of covering it up!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest snowy10
    That's a new way!

I've had a few scrubs at it so I'd consider it washed now.

Also the Cuttlefish ink (permanent again) is doing a fine job of covering it up!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I'm always working on the car in clothes I shouldn't and get my ear bent from the missus when I get covered in oil.

The method was passed down from my mum and it always works , sounds strange I know!!

Hey tyke wish i would have seen this earlier, clothes are my obsession and i know how too look after them lol, you should have covered stain in liquid dishwasher detergent a non coloured one if possible, work in to stain leave for few hours, then rinse with vinegar, then wash as normal, keep repeating untilmstain gone, sometimes once, sometimes takes a few times, works everytime!!! ;)

talc draws out the oil but u should do it asap after you stain it so probably a bit late by now. thats what we use on the fabrics at work if you get machine oil on them. good luck

2ND THAT TALC ALL THE WAY:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Guest75
    2ND THAT TALC ALL THE WAY:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Talc in my boat kit bag it is then ;)