Sign in to follow this  
Guest shella_n

Anyone live in Mawson Lakes?

Guest shella_n

Hi

Weve put in an application for a really nice house in ML and really like the area and schools.

However weve been hearing stories about mozzies and are not sure about the truth of this

Is there anyone who actually lives there or who has lived there that can tell us about this.

We have been asking aroud and all the australians we speak to seem to know someone who lives there that says mozzies are a big problem and you cant go outside in the summer.

Please someone let us know youre experiences.

Thank you :wubclub:

Michele

Guest cornish Busdriver

All i can say is what i see of the area around the train station.

It looks nothing like what the pictures portray, all the houses look very very close together and as there is a lot of marsh land i expect there will be lots of mozzies in the summer.

However there is a nice friendly atmosphere to the area and im sure once it is finished it will be a very pleasent place to live.

There is a lot of water there, hence the name - think it's just a lot of swamp lamp. To be honest, while it's all new developments, there is no broadband, houses are crammed in, not much shade, and yep, there are a lot of mozzies. If you're one who gets bitten a lot, it's worth considering. A lot of people love it, but I know a few who've moved in and out.

Guest kangomik

There's mozzies everywhere, as soon as the sun starts setting or just after sun rise from spring till Autumn you will get them.

I fished the lake n summer to full sunset and never got bit, i did get bit sticking the rods back in the work shop at the house, thats over 10K's from mozzie lakes!

I thought you could get broad band and foxtel on there, though i am told most is a split connection.

The area around the lake is possibly the nicest looking, there's lots of stuff there and its a good base for your first rental. Main North road into the city, or catch the bus or train. Very simple.

Out on Port wakefield road and Semaphore is the nearest beach, about 15 mins from there.

Go the opposite way on Main north road and you can skirt the barrossa in 35 mins or less.

The bad side? the bloomin airport, its a training school so has a lot of aircraft comming in and out and they are nearly all small prop stuff, they sound like mozzies LOL

The houses are close together, but hey so what.

Whats the worst that can happen? you move on

Guest shella_n

thanks guys.

We really like the house we have found, although its a really small garden and are happy with the school etc.

I am one who gets bitten A LOT which is why its concerning me so much, ill be miserable if I spend mos of the year with big welts on me.

Please keep any other coments on the mozzie issue coming as we need to make descision on the house by tomorow.

Thanks

Michele

There will be screens on the windows so unless you spend heaps of time outdoors it may not be that bad. You can always buy citronella candles etc and see how you go.

Guest kfoley0681

i wouldnt let stries about mozzies put you off. its a nice area and only you can decide if its right or not. if your someone that gets bitten like my self been in hospital twice with bites! you will get bitten anywhere in summer! a good deet repelen bushmans is a good strong one is the best repellent to them! we use coils candles etc and i find the bushmans the best!

i used to work out that way and looked at mason lakes to build a house when there was no houses there they were doing the ground works at the time they were filling the land in with hardcore as most of it was just swamp land I guess thats why they have problems with mozzies

Guest WhatNow?

Hi, A friend of mine lived there for 18 months and had no more problem with Mozzies than I have in the NE suburbs. She had Foxtel so that is definitely available. She used mobile internet so I can't comment on broadband availability, but it is the home of the Uni Science and Technology Park sand I can't see companies like BAE Systems moving in there if there were no broadband! Since true broadband is not available in many parts of Adelaide you won't be any worse off than many of us. The 'myth' about Mawson Lakes/mozzies is perpetuated by people who remember (or have been told about) the days when it WAS a swamp - so was Glenelg - about 40 years ago! You will get mozzies anywhere there is still open water.

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Hi

I hear its been nicknamed 'MOZZIE LAKES'. This has been quoted to me on numerous occasion by the friendly people form further north. I get bitten quite badly and regulalry have creams onhand and antihistimines. Its strang really 'cosi never got bit before until i came to adelaide, so you never know they might not like the taste of you here!! :wideeyed:

Good luck. Like thew other posts said, they're everywhere in the summer. I got bit once in the daytime in the hills in the summer. You just just never know.:confused:

Guest shella_n

Weve decided we are going to phone and accept the property in the morning. Most people only seem to know abou the mozzies through hearsay and the people who do live there just seem to laugh at it.

So, we are gonna give it a go. Fingers crossed :err:

If there is anyway there who would like to meet up please let me know cause I wont know a soul!

Thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle

Give us a shout when you're settled in, we're about due for another girls night out in the North East so sounds like as good an excuse as any!

Good luck in your new home

Diane

Guest kangomik

Get some aero guard, it's a spray on mozzie repelant. We first heard about it at kids soccer practice, it's very good, specially if your bitten loads. I think it masks your skin odours, bloomin good gear, and you don't need much. Take it with you in the car.

Guest Mrs Brentus

I have lived in ML for 8 months and don't find any problems, it's like everywhere in summer as dusk onwards you need to put mossie roll on stuff.