Tiger or Jetstar?

Guest the4hopes

Guest the4hopes

We are going to Sydney in a few weeks, Virgin Blue are booked so what would be the best choice, Tiger or Jetstar?

Need to book today.

Hi,

I've flown with both and Tiger are definitely cheaper. I must say I have always been lucky with them and have booked to go to Brisbane with them later this month. I know that others have had issues with Tiger so its really a matter of cost !!!!

Guest tinkham_lee

From what I have heard from many people, I would pay the extra and fly with Jetstar, a lot of friends have said tiger usually get delayed and often cancel flights, leaving passengers stranded.

Guest the4hopes

Thanks, I think I will go for Jetstar its $300 more but then it may be the best choice!

If anyone has more good reports from Tiger it would be good to here!

Thanks everyone.

Guest Tina P

Hi,

We want to go to the Gold Coast in Dec, flying with Tiger rather than Jet Star save's us $900 - for a family of four, a massive saving.

So gonna take the risk and fly with Tiger - spoken to lots of friends who have flown with them and no problems.

If it was a smaller amount I may have thought about flying with Jet Star but $900 will pay for most of the accomodation.

Tina

Flew with Tiger to Sydney in February...was a bit nervous with what i had heard about them...especially as we were flying there to see AC/DC...so if they mucked us about with flights and we missed the gig, i would have been livid to say the least!!! But took the chance...

and......they were excellent....flight left adelaide and sydney on time...service was good...to be honest cant fault them...

Guest kerfumph
Hi,

We want to go to the Gold Coast in Dec, flying with Tiger rather than Jet Star save's us $900 - for a family of four, a massive saving.

So gonna take the risk and fly with Tiger - spoken to lots of friends who have flown with them and no problems.

If it was a smaller amount I may have thought about flying with Jet Star but $900 will pay for most of the accomodation.

Tina

?

?

Jetstars standard price to GC is 109/119 each way. Did you get the tiger ones for free?

Guest Tian

Tiger are definitely cheaper but both times we have flown with them to Sydney, we have been delayed over an hour both going and coming back, other than that they were the same as Jetstar/Virgin etc. :-)

Guest Tina P
?

?

Jetstars standard price to GC is 109/119 each way. Did you get the tiger ones for free?

Hello

Double checked today and the difference is £298 - I'm sure it was more when I looked last week, in fact I looked a few times at the price.

But

Do you have to be sarcastic, couldn't you just say 'are you sure ?' or 'have you double checked this'.

It really annoy's me when people make snide remarks on here, when I'm sure you wouldn't do it to my face.

Hope it did something for you ????

Tina

:D

Guest sarahsmartiepants

flown tiger 5 times and had only one flight changed by a few hours on the way back which was no problem as we sunned ourselves at coolangatta beach eat in the surf club and watched dolphins!!! If there is a big saving i would risk tiger if it was a couple hundred bux i would probably, depending on commitments pay the extra.

Other than that they are no different from quantas, VB and jetstar!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
?

?

Its hard to get a standard price, domestic airlines change the prices as per the time of day, the day of the week and if it school holidays. Sometimes there is a huge saving on one airline compared to another. ie we are both flying to Darwin this year for $400 return

Guest kerfumph
Hello

Double checked today and the difference is £298 - I'm sure it was more when I looked last week, in fact I looked a few times at the price.

But

Do you have to be sarcastic, couldn't you just say 'are you sure ?' or 'have you double checked this'.

It really annoy's me when people make snide remarks on here, when I'm sure you wouldn't do it to my face.

Hope it did something for you ????

Tina

:D

What annoys me (hence the sarcasm) is when people tell other people stuff that is wrong. But don't feel it's just you, I'm biting my lip at the moment at people suggesting Moonta is a good holiday destination for a week. Should I upset someone else or let a family have the most boring week in history.........

I *think* (it's been a year since we went) the flight times are better with jetstar to GC aswell.

Guest JimmyT

Flew with Tiger to Melbourne last month, was a bit apprehensive because of their reputation but it was fine.

Flights left on time, service was efficient, in fact boarding and disembarking were much quicker than other airlines.

Arlene

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Have done 2 trips with Tiger now. Gold Coast and Sydney. Both were absolutely fine and have booked for GC again with Tiger. $58 each way which is about half the Jetstar price.

Why would you voluntarily pay double the price for something unless you are loaded.

Guest WhatNow?

The problem with the written word is that it's open to misinterpretation and words written in jest can be interpreted as snide or sarcastic whether that was there intention or not (and sometimes emoticons make it even worse!). Perhaps we should all remember that when we post.

This airline debate is interesting and a tricky one - ticket prices are also determined by how far in advance you book, so it is very hard to compare apples with apples. With respect to customer service, I have never had a problem with Virgin Blue for example but I know other people who have had nightmare journeys with them. I've never flown Tiger or Jetstar but know people who have had flights cancelled and no help whatsoever with a rebooking. They have also often had problems with Jetstar and Tiger's online booking screens freezing before you can register a payment - interesting in view of the recent move to charge passengers for NOT booking online.

I think it's the luck of the draw with respect to flight cancellations, however, how they are dealt with is the measure of the airlines customer service. There is little any airline can do about weather, technical hitches etc but they could at least ensure that travellers are not left with ringing a call centre in another country to find out when they can fly, as recently happened to a relative of mine when their flight was cancelled.

At the end of the day we have to accept that these are low cost airlines in the same way as Ryanair in the UK is, and will not necessarily provide a high level of customer service, whatever their advertising says. Doesn't mean you shouldn't demand it - may be they will clean their act up but I doubt it. Cheap is cheap for a reason...

Kerfumph - Anyone who thinks that Moonta is a good place for a week away must have a very sad, busy and stressed life - hahaha! Long way to go for not very much, and much prettier and equally quiet places without going so far. But then that's only my opinion of course...and I am smiling when I write this...

Guest Tian

Hi Tina

I think what it boils down to is that provided you don't have to be there for a specific time (concert/special event etc.) then Tiger are usually always the cheapest. I have been delayed both times I have used them but I have friends who come from Sydney and they have never been delayed - definitely luck of the draw on that one. I have to say being delayed wouldn't put me off flying with them again because they are so much cheaper and the service was excellent.

Also it is cheaper to book direct through the airline rather than say Webjet who charge a booking fee on top of the actual fare.

Hope this helps and you get sorted soon

Trayce :-)

Outwith the discussion on prices of flights, only thing i would highly reccomend is to take out travel insurance. We took out with QBE last year when we went to surfers, and Tiger cancelled our return flights, couldn't get us on a flight home for 4 days. We ended up paying to fly Virgin back, which was almost $1200.00, plus overnight accomodation in Gold Coast, and also hire car for driving from Gold Coast to Brisbane. Insurance company refunded all less our excess. Not bad for $150.00 for the insurance.

Guest katsmajic

I was meant to come back from Tassie on a tiger plane - was told it was a 45 min check in - it wasnt, it was 30mins and although i was there at 38mins before hand they wouldnt let me check in.

My fault - well a series of events that led to my being late.

Get there extra early.

My big kids have used Tiger a cple of times each now to Melly n back etc and not had any issues.

Hi

I have flown twice this year with Tiger to the Gold Coast and to Brisbane, no problem at all and great service - just turned up two hours before the flight to avoid any problems. Flew with Jetstar to Darwin in May - awful flight times and were delayed on the way back and didn't leave Darwin airport till 3.30am in the morning (though flight was meant to leave at 2am something). I did hear on the news that Tiger are now charging $10 per person at the airport if you did not check in online.

Claire

Guest sarahsmartiepants

DId i hear the news right today that ryan air are charging very low pounds ( cant find the sign) to fly vertically??? I guess that means standing room only???