suzer

Reclaiming medical expenses on taxes

An FYI and a query - if you've spent over $1500 out of pocket for medical expenses in the past financial year (dental, medical, eyewear etc) you can get 20% back over the $1500.

I've got all my receipts together and estimate I'm due about $250 back - would appreciate any info on how to go about this via the e-tax system (how I normally do my taxes). Have never paid anyone to do my taxes and don't plan to this time around so would love any info on how to do this myself.

Cheers

Suzer

From memory there is a question on the e-tax that covers this and you would put your info in there, not sure if it does cover dental expenses though as well.

From memory there is a question on the e-tax that covers this and you would put your info in there, not sure if it does cover dental expenses though as well.

It does - the dentist actually told me about it. Thanks - just never have had to send anything in but guessing they will want receipts for all that.

To claim the medical expenses tax offset in your tax return, you need to know the total amount of medical expenses you incurred for yourself and your dependants. You then deduct any refunds from Medicare Australia, your private health fund or any other reimbursements that relate to those expenses receiving during the financial year.

Medical Expenses That Qualify:

1. Optical Laser Surgery

2. Accommodation and service fees to nursing homes and hostels

3. Prescription Glasses And Contact Lenses

4. Payments made to dentists, orthodontists or registered dental mechanics

5. Therapeutic treatment at the direction of a doctor (Eg..speech therapy, acupuncture, treatment for dyslexia)

6. Chemist bills (prescription ones) And also over the counter bills for a medical condition (like for cold, flu, pain relief)

You just need to keep the receipts like you would for anything else you claim for. If they want to check them ...they will come looking for you LOL.

To claim the medical expenses tax offset in your tax return, you need to know the total amount of medical expenses you incurred for yourself and your dependants. You then deduct any refunds from Medicare Australia, your private health fund or any other reimbursements that relate to those expenses receiving during the financial year.

Medical Expenses That Qualify:

1. Optical Laser Surgery

2. Accommodation and service fees to nursing homes and hostels

3. Prescription Glasses And Contact Lenses

4. Payments made to dentists, orthodontists or registered dental mechanics

5. Therapeutic treatment at the direction of a doctor (Eg..speech therapy, acupuncture, treatment for dyslexia)

6. Chemist bills (prescription ones) And also over the counter bills for a medical condition (like for cold, flu, pain relief)

Thanks - wish I had saved more receipts - didn't know about chemist bit. Guessing this means I can also get money back on what I paid for my private health care premiums?

just find this....might help some...

How to get your own back

as for private health...remember that your premiums are often after 30% rebate has been applied..

as for out of pocket medical expenses...what you have actually paid as a private health premium doesnt apply

Guest Guest5035

just pay a $100 bucks and see the accountant, its alot easier.

stevo