Moosh

Has anyone got rid of evap air con and replaced with reverse cycle?

We have no heating in our house. There is no gas option. It's so cold that we have decided to get rid of the evaporative air conditioning and replace it with reverse cycle throughout the whole house. Has anyone done this? I thought you would be able to have both but apparently you can't have 2 lots of ducted in the roof and they can't even use the existing vents!! How ridiculous is that?! How stupid were the people who built the house! Grrrrrrr

You can definitely have two lots of ducting in one house. Just get ducted gas in addition to your evap. I've seen plenty of homes with two sets of vents!

We will have to look at LPG bottled gas option then. If you can have gas ducted as well as evap ducted, why not reverse cycle ducted as well as evap ducted?

Guest smit
    We will have to look at LPG bottled gas option then. If you can have gas ducted as well as evap ducted, why not reverse cycle ducted as well as evap ducted?
    i think you can only have gas ducted on mains gas. Weve got an old evap system and a new gas ducted. runs through different pipes and vents.......so 2 seperate systems:huh:.

I think the newer systems can run through one set of pipes....................but it means paying for new heating and cooling.

I think your options may be limited if youve no mains gas Michelle. reverse cycle or wood burner maybe.....( you can get a kit for $200 that takes the heat into another couple of rooms).......I would definately check the gas bottle option first though.

Guest Roo1

Give Richard Barker a ring at Airworks (Morphett Vale) 0422 608 655. I've used him a few times to install heating and maintain our units at our rentals. He's really knowledgable and will point you in the right direction and of course fit it if need be. He's very reasonably priced.

Judi x

Guest willfam

[i would definately check the gas bottle option first though.

Bottled gas would be too expensive for ducted heating or any heating really. I would only use LPG for cooking and not for hot water or heating.

Combustion heater, ducted reverse cycle or split system are prob your only options.

We haven't had any quotes done yet but will bear in mind all comments. It might mean that we just put in splits in all the bedrooms and living rooms. It's such a shame that the people who built the house didn't think about both heating and cooling options in an area that doesn't have mains gas.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I think you can have bottle gas for gas heating i have a friend round near you who uses bottle for her water and cooking, costs her peanuts but her recycled air and heat electric are pretty costly all year. I will text her later and ask why she didnt have gas heating with bottle x

We have reverse cycle and a log burning stove - hardly ever use the reverse cycle for heating. The stove is lit everyday and it's toasty warm in the whole of our house - if we use redgum it burns all night. I wouldn't contemplate having any other heating - I was sceptical when my hubby suggested buying it but I can honestly say it was the best $3k we spent. We used knights heating and cooling at Old Noarlunga - they came and measured up to ensure that the heater you get is the correct size - you do t want ho melt everytime you light it or be too cold. It really does heat the whole house!

Guest Tina P

Hi,

We are in Mclaren Flat and have LPG gas bottles for our gas hob and for hot water. The bottles are $110 and this will last us about 2.5 to 3 months for a family of 4, I don't think thats bad ?

We have reverse cycle heating but have to agree with Lindsey, her log burner is fantastic and so warm.

Tina