suzer

Cheap recipes

As a follow up to the groceries thread, just a few recipes for inexpensive meals

Turkey & Curry Stew

This is made with curry powder so not a true curry but more of a chili. You can use turkey or whatever mince is cheapest (turkey is probably the healthiest).

1/g kg ground turkey

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can chick peas

1 large onion, diced

curry powder

ground pepper

olive oil

yogurt

Saute onions in oil, then add turkey and brown. Add curry powder and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and chick peas and simmer for 15 minutes. Mix in yogurt and simmer (do not allow to boil) for 5 minutes. Serve alone or over rice.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I abhor the Old El Paso type stuff in packets, but this turned out really lovely. Just enough seasoning, without being overpowering. Mix to taste.

chili powder

paprika

cayenne pepper

cumin

oregano

garlic powder

onion powder

salt

pepper

Brown your meat in oil, then add in seasoning and simmer for 10-15 minutes. This is healthy as well - not as much salt as regular taco seasoning

Broccoli & Mushrooms with Oyster Sauce

1 small bunch of broccoli, cut up

150 grams (1/3 pound) white button mushrooms, sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

about 1/4 to 1/3 cup water

2 tablespoons oyster sauce

Heat your wok or pan over high heat, and add the oil. When hot, add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir well. Add a splash of water, and continue stirring and tossing the broccoli, adding more water as it evaporates.

When the broccoli is about half cooked, add the garlic. When the broccoli is mainly cooked, add the oyster sauce and toss well. Cover and cook for a minute or two more.

Broccoli & Mushrooms with Oyster Sauce

1 small bunch of broccoli, cut up

150 grams (1/3 pound) white button mushrooms, sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

about 1/4 to 1/3 cup water

2 tablespoons oyster sauce

Heat your wok or pan over high heat, and add the oil. When hot, add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir well. Add a splash of water, and continue stirring and tossing the broccoli, adding more water as it evaporates.

When the broccoli is about half cooked, add the garlic. When the broccoli is mainly cooked, add the oyster sauce and toss well. Cover and cook for a minute or two more.

Thanks will try the curry and the taco but I can't see mine eating this lol

Thanks will try the curry and the taco but I can't see mine eating this lol

yeah if you don't like chinese take away you won't like the broccoli & oyster sauce recipe;)

yeah if you don't like chinese take away you won't like the broccoli & oyster sauce recipe;)

It's the broccoli that my hubby would turn his nose up at the lack of meat lol!

It's the broccoli that my hubby would turn his nose up at the lack of meat lol!

Lol just use a different veg and throw some beef strips in.

-or- (and use bok choy or carrots or some other veg)

Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry

Peanut Oil

Sesame Oil

Garlic Powder

Oyster Sauce

Fish Sauce

Water

Beef strips

Broccoli

Heat peanut oil in wok on high, then add beef and stir-fry until browned. Remove beef and set aside. Add sesame oil to wok, then add broccoli and garlic powder and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, then add water and oyster sauce and bring to boil. Simmer until sauce thickens, then add in cooked beef and fish sauce. Mix well and serve over rice.