Guest Rich&Susie

Career change?

Guest Rich&Susie

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this as the 'Rich' part of Rich&Susie. When the SMPs are released we will look at applying for a skilled visa under Susie's name as she has a job that we believe (hope) will be on the list. Susie is quite happy in the role that she's in and will look for something similar in Oz.

As for myself, i've always said that i'll be happy to do pretty much anything for a job when we get to Oz, but know that i would like to do something different to what i do now. I'm currently an analyst and have been for the past 4 years but have come to realise that i don't want to be stuck in an office for the rest of my life. I think i'd like something a bit more hands on, maybe involving re-training in something.

I suppose my question is has anyone else been in a similar situation and what did you end up doing?

Sorry if this is a generic question!

Rich

I was in the building industry back in the UK as a tradesman and then foreman when I came over here had a change, worked in a plastics factory for 6 months and then a car plant for about 7 years and now back in the building Industry.

Guest cornish Busdriver

My main trade is a web designer and software enginer / programmer but was a bus driver before that.

When we moved here i was gonna go back into computers again but the wages are crap here unless you work in Sydney or Perth and i couldnt face being sat behind a desk again for 16hrs a day staring at a screen so went back to bus driving.

The money is almost as good. my average take home is about $750pw but if i feel i wanna do a bit more i take home over a grand a week no-worries.

Just depends on what ya wanna try

OH is painter and decorater by trade, when we arrived in Aus he'd did alsorts of things, finally decided to do his Cert 3 in Disability and is now a support worker. He loves it and has more job satisfaction than he's ever had......... moneys not that bad either :)

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Rich,

Was just having a look around the site, when I saw your post. I only joined today, so am just getting to grips with it.

My partner and I are due to come over in Jan 2011. I have been offered a job, but my partner is worried about finding work. He has never been without a job, and like yourself, will be willing to try anything really. He currenlty works in the communication industry, installing information systmes in GP surgeries, shcools and hospitals. He used to work for sky aswell, installing home entertainment systems.

How long have you been over there for and do you like it so far? We are both nervous and excited. Whatrs the worse that can happen, it doesn't work and we come back.

Any tips on my partner's search for job would be greatly appreciated.

Sara and Andy (Portsmouth, uk)

Guest Rich&Susie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. From what you're saying there are plenty of opportunites out there!

HG, that's a hell of a lot of jobs in two years!! Bunnings...isn't that one of the main DIY stores?

Sara and Andy, we're not in Adelaide yet, but going through the process of applying for a 176 visa. We were well on the way to applying as well until our agent made a monumental balls up and then applications were suspended (long story...for another time).

I think that from what others have posted, your partner won't have too much of a problem finding a job even if it's short term or temp work initially. I spent a year in Oz on a working holiday visa a few years back and didn't have too much trouble finding work when i needed it.

We're heading out to Adelaide later on this year for a reccie so we'll try and put some feelers out when we get there.

Rich.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. From what you're saying there are plenty of opportunites out there!

HG, that's a hell of a lot of jobs in two years!! Bunnings...isn't that one of the main DIY stores?

Sara and Andy, we're not in Adelaide yet, but going through the process of applying for a 176 visa. We were well on the way to applying as well until our agent made a monumental balls up and then applications were suspended (long story...for another time).

I think that from what others have posted, your partner won't have too much of a problem finding a job even if it's short term or temp work initially. I spent a year in Oz on a working holiday visa a few years back and didn't have too much trouble finding work when i needed it.

We're heading out to Adelaide later on this year for a reccie so we'll try and put some feelers out when we get there.

Rich.

Juist try and do a bit of groundwork before you get out here.....careerone/seek/ etc etc.

I had lined a fair few interviews up before we got here, there is plenty of work out here it just depends on what you wanna do, where you wanna live and all that.

This place is an amazing wealth of info too.....feel free to ask any quiestions that you may have and i am pretty sure someone will pop along with some advice...

HG