Guest Daisy Duke

Hi All

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi all!

Just wanted to say hello as my partner and I are currently in the process of getting things sorted to come to Adelaide! We are both very excited and nervous too! We are due to come over Jan 2011.

Just a couple of things I wanted to ask. I have been offered a job as a nurse, but my partner is worried he will find it difficult to get work (I have tried to reassure him, but I think it's a bloke thing). He has no formal qualifications, but has extensive work experience installing sky tv home entertainment, lottery machines and is currently working for an organisation installing information systems in hospitals, GP surgeries and schools. He is one of those people that will give anything a go, so will be open to suggestion.

Also, any tips on what areas to live in would be much appreciated. My work base will be around central Adelaide, but don't mind max 20-30 min commute.

One last thing, we have a dog that we are also bringing. Do most of the areas in the suburbs generally have open spaces, parks etc?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sara and Andy (Portsmouth, uk)

Guest WhatNow?

Lots of parks and open spaces in all areas but all are adminstered by different councils who have their own bye-laws about exercising dogs. Some will not allow them off the lead and others have specific areas where you can allow them off. Diane has posted on this recently.

Don't stress about where to live as if you are working centrally many places will be within 30 mins commute. See our Suburbs database at Welcome to the Home2Home Suburbs Database for a guide to distances and links to local council websites (where you can search for their dog walking bye-laws) and population stats. We always recommend that new migrants rent furnished short term (2-4 weeks) and spend the first few weeks looking around for a longer term rental. Don;t be put off by the fact that most unfurnished leases are for 12 months you can break your lease by finding a new tenant yourself (see the many posts on here about this). Things to consider are 1. Your budget 2. What lifestyle do you want 3. How much of a commute do you want. There are lovely suburbs with good schools all around Adelaide to choose from but you need to get on www.realestate.com (Rentals) and look at what you can get for your money. Don't be seduced by the photos on the website, though, as even the grottiest rental can look good, as others have said recently. You need to be over here and go to a few rental 'opens' to see the real deal. Once you have done that you will be in a position to make a decision about the longer term. You will be able to rent furnished (holiday or short term) via the internet but longer term unfurnished you really need to be here in person before anyone will take your application seriously. Once you are here and have your job started you can get a rental sorted in a matter of days.

Hi all!

One last thing, we have a dog that we are also bringing. Do most of the areas in the suburbs generally have open spaces, parks etc?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sara and Andy (Portsmouth, uk)

We have dog friendly beaches down here in the south ( Seaford ) there are also some dog friendly areas scattered around too.....alot of people have dogs out here in SA.

Most people keep their dogs outside as its not the done thing to keep them indoors.....our dog is an inside.....

Ant tother Questions just post them or PM and we will try and help you out as much as we can

HG

Guest cornish Busdriver

My missus is a theater nurse at flinders and finds the 20 min commute from seaford easy. If ya gotta dog then head south as there are great open spaces for them to run off leash all year round. Our dogs love it here

My missus is a theater nurse at flinders and finds the 20 min commute from seaford easy. If ya gotta dog then head south as there are great open spaces for them to run off leash all year round. Our dogs love it here

Or North East, or East, or West..... Linear Park near us (in the North East) is a wonderful place to walk dogs, open space, river to jump in to cool down or drink from (for the dog that is!) plenty of dog-waste bins with bags provided, plenty of trees, ducks to chase, other dogs to play with, koalas to spot.... and it's classed as "Hound Ground" on the Highbury side of the river - i.e dogs off lead permitted all year round, all day long, (unlike some of the beaches) as long as under "effective control"! Plus people seem really good about clearing up after their dogs here - I've been on a few of the beaches where it isn't always the case, sadly :err:

Oh, and 20 minutes into the city from here!

Guest Daisy Duke

Hey, thanks guys for all the tips!

I'm very impressed with all the responses and info you've all given. I'm sure I will be one of those people with a steady trickle of questions over the coming months.

Re, the rentals. Yeah, i've been looking at some websites and there seems to be quite a variation of whats on offer. We are shipping our furniture over so will need furnished initially and plan to have a good look round before we decide where to stay. We don't have kids, so don't need to be near any shcools. Matt, that area you said about sounds quite nice. We are quite 'outdoorsy' peeps so would like somehwere near the coast, or with good walks.

Just one last thing, are the locals welcoming of poms as I spent a year in Perth and found them very welcoming...

Cheers

Sara and Andy

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hi Sara and Andy.

Gotta admit i have found everyone here very welcoming and always offering advice or help with stuff anytime i needed it.

We live about 4 or 5 minutes from our nearest beach Moana prononced Mo ana.

Its a great dog beach all year round and also there O'sullivans beach (8 or 9 minutes away) witch is also a great dog walking beach plus we are near pedlers creek thats also a great dog walking area.

House prices i would say are a little more than the north but you do get a lot of house for your money here plus when the new express way go's in, commuting will be a lot easier as well.

I didn't know that Seaford was a dog friendly beach. Thanks for the info...I will take our energetic Boxer down there. I usually take her down to the Christies / O Sullivan beach.

There should be plenty of work with the tv / Foxtel installations. The guys that installed our Foxtel were Russian!

Maybe take a look on the Jims web site. There are franchises available for antenna installations.

Best of luck!

Tamara

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for that info re possiblity of jobs for my other half. I don't suppose you know the website for this?

Cheers

Sara

Hi Sara,

The website is www.jims.net

Jims is pretty big here. There are Jims garden services, Jims plumbing, Jims cleaning, Jims antennas etc etc. It's certainly worth taking a look. If you are not interested in a franchise then maybe one of the franchisees need assistance? The other possibility is Foxtel. They are the satellite subscription people here. Their website is www.foxtel.com.au.

Tamara