Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Pruning Roses

Can anyone tell me how to prune roses? Do I just cut the dead bits off, or can I cut them down further? Hate the things, but they do keep flowering....

Guest Guest5035

Di hope this makes sense.

When pruning, start in the middle, where the branches are growing into the centre and take out the branches that are growing towards the middle. Prune the rest back by about a third. Don't worry about which bud to cut to because they will flourish even if you don't cut to an outward or inward pointing bud

Don't forget to feed them aswell.

stevo

Guest WhatNow?

Diane, I'll come and do them for you if you like - used to have a gardenful!

Thanks Mandy, that's a really kind offer, but I've followed Stevo's instructions and now it's just a matter of crossing fingers and waiting for the results!

Wouldn't mind if they weren't all yellow! What is it with Aussie's and their English Rose Gardens?! Hasten to add, I didn't plant them!

Guest Guest5035
    but I've followed Stevo's instructions

OMG Di you fool.......................................... i know nothing about roses, they'll all die, i feel really guilty now.................

:biglaugh: :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Nah you'll be right, in a couple of months or so, you'll have roses everywhere. My old fella used to have 125 in the garden when i was young.

stevo:D

Don't feel guilty Stevo: if they die, you'll have probably done me a favour!! No such luck though, these things are unkillable I think.... the vampires of the rose world!!